- Portman faces balancing act on trade as he seeks re-election Updated: May-02-15 11:03 am
WASHINGTON - Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio is maneuvering with care as he runs for re-election in a swing state while cautiously supporting a free-trade deal that even some fellow Republicans fear could lead to job losses back home.
- Fee proposed on rail cars that haul oil, other flammables Updated: Apr-30-15 6:15 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - U.S. senators from six states on Thursday proposed that the government charge companies a special fee to ship oil, ethanol and other flammable liquids in older railroad tank cars that have been involved in fiery explosions.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Dems push higher pay for Senate workers Updated: Apr-28-15 1:47 am
WASHINGTON - Reports about a Senate cafeteria worker who makes so little money he is homeless are prompting calls for change from Democrats on Capitol Hill.
- No trade breakthrough expected with Japan during Abe visit Updated: Apr-24-15 5:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to Washington next week comes amid heightened attention in Congress to an Asia-Pacific trade deal that has created a deep rift between President Barack Obama and members of his Democratic Party and whose central feature is liberalized commerce between the U.S. and Japan.
- Party: Paul Tipps, ex-Ohio Democratic chairman, dies at 78 Updated: Apr-21-15 4:53 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Paul Tipps, who presided over the Ohio Democratic Party during one of its most successful runs, died Tuesday, the party announced.
- Obama defends pursuit of sweeping trade pact Updated: Apr-17-15 5:11 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday defended his pursuit of a sweeping trade pact as good for American workers in a global economy, dismissing fierce opposition from his own party as a "ratification of the status quo."
- Ohio justice says fellow Democrats made bad Senate race pick Updated: Apr-13-15 6:55 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The lone Democrat elected to top statewide office in Ohio is slamming his party for its weekend endorsement of former Gov. Ted Strickland in the race for U.S. Senate.