- Few heirs apparent to Mandela's symbol of freedom Updated: Dec-07-13 11:35 am
- Mandela mourned as inspiration in many struggles Updated: Dec-06-13 2:24 pm
- US seeks limited military ties with Myanmar Updated: Dec-04-13 6:18 pm
- Undergrads return to crumbling Myanmar university Updated: Dec-04-13 5:43 am
- Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi arrives in Australia Updated: Nov-26-13 11:31 pm
- UN to Myanmar: Make Rohingya Muslims citizens Updated: Nov-20-13 12:28 am
- Bill Clinton: Violence in Myanmar sickens world Updated: Nov-14-13 10:01 pm
The passing of Nelson Mandela leaves a waning number of global figures representing freedom and resilience against oppression - and a changing world that makes it harder for anyone to approach Mandela's iconic power.
Nelson Mandela led black South Africans in their struggle to throw off the yoke of white rule and then helped the entire nation heal the wounds of racial division.
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration faced strong bipartisan opposition Wednesday to plans for limited U.S. engagement with Myanmar's powerful military due to concerns over human rights and its lingering ties with North Korea.
YANGON, Myanmar - The campus is overrun by a tangled web of weeds and vines. Many of the books in the open-air library are ancient, their pages yellow. Students will have to share a handful of donated computers and put up with slow-speed Internet, at least at first. And professors are struggling to catch up with developments in their fields.
SYDNEY - Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi arrived in Sydney on Wednesday for her first Australian visit.
UNITED NATIONS - The General Assembly's human rights committee passed a resolution urging Myanmar to give the stateless Rohingya minority equal access to citizenship and to crack down on Buddhist violence against them and other Muslims in the southeast Asian nation.
YANGON, Myanmar - Reports of sectarian violence in Myanmar sicken the world, former U.S. President Bill Clinton said after speaking to political and civic leaders about challenges faced by the emerging democracy following a half-century of military rule.