- Paul Ryan weighs pros, cons of becoming next House speaker Updated: Oct-13-15 3:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Maybe Rep. Paul Ryan doesn't feel like a character in the classic film "The Godfather," weighing an offer he can't refuse. But with Republican Party elders practically begging him to become the next House speaker, the pressure on him to seek the post is immense.
- Q&A: Ryan weighs speaker post, conservatives still a puzzle Updated: Oct-12-15 4:49 pm
WASHINGTON - Rep. Paul Ryan says he doesn't want to be the next House speaker but he's thinking it through - even as the Republican establishment pressures him to just do it.
- House Republicans could support Ryan for speaker Updated: Oct-11-15 9:09 pm
WASHINGTON - If rebel conservatives and establishment Republicans in the House can agree on anything, it's likely supporting Paul Ryan for speaker.
- House conservatives oppose McCarthy, search for alternative Updated: Oct-07-15 5:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The House's most hard-edged conservatives are anxious to derail Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's bid to become speaker, but they're outnumbered and their chosen candidate lacks support. That leaves the Californian the heavy favorite when Republicans pick their candidate to replace John Boehner on Thursday.
- GOP leaders face tough test in Congress to keep gov't open Updated: Sep-21-15 4:55 am
WASHINGTON - Congress' Republican leaders face stark tests as they fight to keep the government open past month's end, amid fears a shutdown could imperil their party's White House ambitions.