- Iowa woman writes letters to prison inmates for decades Updated: May-24-15 11:02 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Jean Basinger writes letters to prison inmates in Iowa. She has done this for 30 years.
- Veterans frustrated by presidential debate on Iraq war Updated: May-23-15 12:22 pm
Veterans of the Iraq War have been watching in frustration as Republican presidential contenders distance themselves from the decision their party enthusiastically supported to invade that country.
- Senate clears White House-backed trade bill Updated: May-23-15 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Senate passed bipartisan legislation Friday night to strengthen the administration's hand in global trade talks, clearing the way for a highly unpredictable summer showdown in the House.
- Senators sing blues over impasse; GOP hopefuls stuck in DC Updated: May-22-15 10:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Two senators have a plane to catch to Cuba, others were hoping to impress Republican presidential primary voters and then there's Sen. Lamar Alexander, who is slated to deliver a sunset piano performance of "Ol' Man River" on the banks of the Mississippi.
- Surveillance debate produces unusual alliances in Capitol Updated: May-22-15 10:29 am
WASHINGTON - Congress' debate over domestic surveillance is scrambling partisan divisions in the Senate as libertarian-minded Republicans defy their leaders to make common cause with liberal Democrats.
- Huckabee is latest straw poll no-show. Is event in jeopardy? Updated: May-21-15 4:28 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The people running Iowa's Republican presidential straw poll want less money and glitz involved as they try to take this summer's event back to basics. But now they are facing a different kind of downsizing - fewer candidates.
- Oklahoma GOP roiled by infighting as conference looms Updated: May-20-15 8:04 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - As Republicans prepare for some of the party's biggest names to descend on Oklahoma for the Southern Republican Leadership Conference, the state party is being rocked by infighting over its new chairman's decision to retain a staffer who pleaded guilty to a domestic violence charge.
- Small business is key in presidential campaign playbook Updated: May-20-15 3:10 am
NEW YORK - Small businesses aren't in the dire straits they were four years ago, but presidential candidates aren't letting go of an issue they think will get them votes.
- Rand Paul vows to filibuster to block Patriot Act Updated: May-18-15 6:23 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul vowed on Monday to do "everything possible" to block renewal of the terrorism-era Patriot Act, but the Republican presidential hopeful conceded it may not be enough.
- In Ga., Rubio promises 'transformational change' Updated: May-15-15 4:31 pm
- Georgia Republicans gather, hear from presidential hopefuls Updated: May-15-15 7:22 am
ATHENS, Georgia - Georgia Republicans will hear from three White House hopefuls as the party gathers for its annual convention.
- Bush struggles to clarify stance on wisdom of invading Iraq Updated: May-12-15 7:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Struggling with the shadows of Iraq, Jeb Bush said Tuesday he would have made a different decision than his brother to invade Iraq in 2003 had he known what he does now about flaws in the nation's intelligence.
- TRAIL TRANSLATOR: They're all talking 'income inequality' Updated: May-12-15 2:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Of all the buzzwords and phrases popping up early in the presidential campaign, "income inequality" must be close to the top of the list. And it's not just Democrats insisting that the nation must deal with it firmly and fast.
- Online Common Core testing lays bare tech divide in schools Updated: May-11-15 7:22 pm
NEW CUYAMA, California - Nestled between mountains 60 miles from the nearest city, students at Cuyama Valley High School use Internet connections about one-tenth the minimum speed recommended for the modern U.S. classroom.
- Activists use Clinton immigration stance to pressure Obama Updated: May-11-15 1:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Immigration activists are trying to use Hillary Rodham Clinton's stance on immigration to pressure President Barack Obama to do more for immigrants.
- Iran Legislation is win-win for GOP, Obama Updated: May-08-15 10:26 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans in control of Congress want a say on negotiations to ease sanctions against Iran in exchange for concessions on nuclear research and development, and a bipartisan accomplishment signed into law to showcase an ability to govern sensibly.
- Rubio tax plan shows challenge of GOP wage-stagnation fight Updated: May-07-15 5:35 pm
DENVER - In the traffic jam that is the Republican presidential race, Sen. Marco Rubio stands out - and not just for his youth and blue-collar, Cuban-American biography.
- Senate adopts GOP budget targeting 'Obamacare' Updated: May-05-15 8:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Tuesday adopted a GOP budget that paves the way for an assault on President Barack Obama's health care law this summer and a partisan showdown over spending bills this fall.
- GOP field grows: Longshots Fiorina, Carson launch their bids Updated: May-04-15 4:42 pm
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson joined the rapidly expanding 2016 Republican presidential class on Monday, casting themselves as political outsiders in underdog campaigns, eager to challenge the elite of both parties.
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina enters presidential race Updated: May-04-15 7:37 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she is running for president.
- With Walker a 2016 GOP force, Kasich and Snyder ponder runs Updated: May-04-15 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin's Scott Walker has emerged as a force in the 2016 White House contest. It's a position two other Republican governors from the Midwest, lesser known but similarly ambitious, undoubtedly would like to be in.
- AP-GfK Poll: Favorable views of Clinton top her GOP rivals Updated: May-02-15 3:17 am
WASHINGTON - Americans are more likely to have a favorable view of Hillary Rodham Clinton than any of her potential Republican rivals in 2016's race for the presidency, even though few see the former secretary of state as honest, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- RNC's Priebus to address S. Carolina Republican gathering Updated: May-01-15 4:15 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Republicans are gearing up for their biggest weekend of the year.
- House OKs GOP measure blocking local DC abortion rights law Updated: Apr-30-15 11:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans pushed legislation through the House Thursday that would revoke a District of Columbia law barring discrimination in the city against workers who have abortions, the latest clash pitting claims of religious freedom against reproductive rights.
- US Sen. Rand Paul to visit Grand Rapids next week Updated: Apr-30-15 2:31 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Rand Paul will make a campaign stop next week in Grand Rapids.