- SC's Tim Scott plays role in GOP race with candidate forums Updated: Oct-03-15 12:52 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - More than 2,000 voters, from college students to those of retirement age, packed a Columbia theater recently to see for themselves what it's like to experience businessman Donald Trump up close and personal.
- US attorney appears to focus on political favors in New York Updated: Oct-03-15 11:09 am
ALBANY, New York - With a widening probe of New York state government, U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara appears to be taking aim at the nebulous relationship between money and politics itself - a long and murky association in Albany and in capitals across the nation.
- Republican hopeful Carson says no to Syrian refugees in US Updated: Oct-02-15 7:59 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson said the U.S. should bar refugees from war-torn Syria because they are "infiltrated" with Muslim extremists who seek to harm America.
- Texas birth certificate denials for US-born kids get hearing Updated: Oct-02-15 6:24 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Lawyers for immigrant families denied birth certificates for U.S.-born children by Texas health officials told a federal judge Friday that a state agency must provide another option if certain forms of foreign-issued identification cannot be accepted.
- Donald Trump holding campaign rally in Las Vegas next week Updated: Oct-02-15 5:17 pm
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is heading to the Las Vegas Strip for a campaign rally.
- Trump not coming to Hispanic Chamber of Commerce event Updated: Oct-02-15 3:51 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Donald Trump won't be doing a question-and-answer session with the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Washington next week.
- Again? Health care debate expands for 2016 Updated: Oct-02-15 12:06 pm
WASHINGTON - America's health care debate has been called an unhealthy political obsession. But if the 2016 presidential hopefuls have any say, it's about to get bigger.
- Trump and Carson's attacks on Muslims worry some GOP elders Updated: Oct-02-15 1:11 am
WASHINGTON - The candidates atop the GOP presidential field are ramping up political attacks aimed at Muslims, a move designed to appeal to hardline conservatives. But party elders worry that escalating anti-immigrant rhetoric could cost Republicans the White House in 2016.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- Apart from low unemployment, just how healthy is job market? Updated: Oct-01-15 3:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. unemployment rate - now just 5.1 percent - grabs a lot of the attention each month when the government issues its jobs data. Yet the rate doesn't come close to sketching a full picture of the job market.
- Trump, Rubio, Bush among candidates going to state GOP event Updated: Oct-01-15 12:27 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Donald Trump, former Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen. Marco Rubio are among at least six presidential candidates that will attend a summit hosted by the Republican Party of Florida.
- Clinton seeking to organize Latino voters ahead of primaries Updated: Oct-01-15 3:51 am
NEW YORK - Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign is planning a major push to organize Latino voters ahead of the Nevada caucuses and early primary contests in Texas, Florida and Colorado, all with an eye toward connecting with Hispanics in the 2016 election.
- Field for SC's Republican presidential primary set at 15 Updated: Sep-30-15 6:32 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Republican Party officials say 15 candidates have paid the $40,000 fee to be on the state GOP presidential primary ballot next year.
- New York Military Academy sold at auction for $15.8 million Updated: Sep-30-15 6:04 pm
CORNWALL-ON-HUDSON, New York - A private boarding school once attended by Donald Trump, Stephen Sondheim and John Gotti has been sold at auction for $15.8 million.
- Walker sees lowest approval rating ever after exiting race Updated: Sep-30-15 3:36 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker's approval rating reached the lowest of his time in office after he exited the presidential race last week, a new poll released Wednesday showed.
- Falling concrete hits, injures officer at construction site Updated: Sep-30-15 2:04 pm
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - Authorities say a concrete block fell off a 50-story building under construction in northern New Jersey, injuring a police officer who was working on the street below.
- Bevin, Conway spar on issues in Kentucky Sports Radio debate Updated: Sep-30-15 1:04 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Jack Conway stuck to the script and Matt Bevin continued his seemingly spontaneous campaign during an hour-long debate before the rabid fans of Big Blue Nation on the state's most popular sports talk radio show.
- Clinton, Bush steady fundraising amid GOP summer Trump slump Updated: Sep-30-15 7:28 am
WASHINGTON - Voters won't cast their first ballots in the presidential race until February, but donors have been making their picks for months.
- Bush, Trump, Carson to campaign around New Hampshire Updated: Sep-30-15 4:03 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Three GOP White House hopefuls with very different political ideas are heading to New Hampshire.
- GOP field: Tax cuts for all, don't worry about consequences Updated: Sep-30-15 3:30 am
DENVER - Republicans came into this presidential campaign with painful memories of how, in the last one, Democrats blasted Mitt Romney's tax plan as a giveaway to the rich. They've heard a new wing of conservative intellectuals urge them to focus on tax cuts to working-class Americans rather than the wealthy.
- Brady says pro-Trump comments taken out of context Updated: Sep-29-15 4:44 pm
BOSTON - New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady says his comments that he hopes Donald Trump will win the presidency were taken out of context and an example of why he tries to say as little as possible when speaking publicly.
- Trump breaks Fox News 'boycott' after 1 week Updated: Sep-29-15 1:46 pm
NEW YORK - Donald Trump says his self-described boycott of Fox News is over after only one week.
- Senate majority leader seems safe for now after Boehner exit Updated: Sep-29-15 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Try as they may, there's no sign that conservatives chirping over the departure of House Speaker John Boehner will be able to claim Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell as their next pelt.
- Republican front-runner Trump proposes tax cuts for all Updated: Sep-28-15 6:21 pm
NEW YORK - After weeks of vowing to raise taxes on "hedge fund guys" and high-income earners, Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump unveiled a tax plan Monday that would cut rates across the board and reduce the amount paid by wealthiest Americans and corporations into the U.S. Treasury.
- NY lawmakers examine possible uses for Plum Island Updated: Sep-28-15 5:24 pm
FARMINGVILLE, New York - With construction of a new animal research facility in Kansas already underway, New York lawmakers met with environmentalists and others to discuss the future of a remote island off the eastern tip of Long Island that since the 1950s has housed the government's only lab studying infectious diseases that could imperil the U.S. livestock industry.