- GOP in tumult after McCarthy's withdrawal from speaker race Updated: Oct-09-15 3:42 am
WASHINGTON - Jolted by political lighting for the second time in two weeks, House Republicans are staring at turmoil and uncertainty after Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's astonishing decision to abandon his campaign to become the chamber's next speaker.
- The Republicans' Mr. Congeniality drops out of speaker race Updated: Oct-08-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Mainstream lawmakers saw Kevin McCarthy as an honest broker in ragged times. Those farther on the right worried that, as House speaker, he might obstruct their obstructionism.
- House conservatives oppose McCarthy, search for alternative Updated: Oct-07-15 5:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The House's most hard-edged conservatives are anxious to derail Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's bid to become speaker, but they're outnumbered and their chosen candidate lacks support. That leaves the Californian the heavy favorite when Republicans pick their candidate to replace John Boehner on Thursday.
- Ethics panel continues review of Texas lawmaker Updated: Sep-28-15 4:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Ethics Committee said Monday it is continuing an investigation of Republican congressman Blake Farenthold of Texas, despite a recommendation by an investigative panel that the complaint be dismissed.
- GOP leaders face tough test in Congress to keep gov't open Updated: Sep-21-15 4:55 am
WASHINGTON - Congress' Republican leaders face stark tests as they fight to keep the government open past month's end, amid fears a shutdown could imperil their party's White House ambitions.