- Chicago Urban League CEO to make 2016 US Senate run Updated: May-15-15 5:53 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago Urban League President Andrea Zopp says she intends to run for Republican U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk's seat. The move potentially sets up a 2016 primary battle for Democratic Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth.
- Kirk touts stroke recovery in 1st ad of 2016 re-election bid Updated: May-14-15 7:30 am
CHICAGO - U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk is touting his recovery from a debilitating stroke in the first television ads of his 2016 re-election bid.
- Dems claim recruiting successes in bid to retake Senate Updated: May-11-15 1:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats are claiming early success in recruiting strong candidates in Republican-held states as they fight to retake the majority after last year's midterm bloodletting. But in several states the party is still searching, with the Democrat who looks like the strongest candidate holding out for now.
- Armenian-American judge marks WWI-era killings Updated: Apr-25-15 10:35 am
CHICAGO - A federal judge in Chicago has marked the centennial of the start of the mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks.
- Loretta Lynch wins confirmation as attorney general Updated: Apr-23-15 6:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Loretta Lynch won confirmation as the nation's first black female attorney general Thursday from a Senate that forced her to wait more than five months for the title and remained divided to the end.
- Kirk, Durbin praise Lynch's record after Senate vote Updated: Apr-23-15 6:24 pm
CHICAGO - Both U.S. senators from Illinois are praising Loretta Lynch's record after the Senate confirmed her nomination for U.S. attorney general.
- Anti-human trafficking bill passes Senate Updated: Apr-22-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate unanimously passed legislation Wednesday to help the victims of human trafficking, ending a tortuous partisan standoff over abortion that also delayed confirmation of President Barack Obama's attorney general nominee.