- Congress' familiar path: short-term solutions Updated: May-23-15 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Long is the list of problems Congress has addressed with short-term answers.
- NSA winds down once-secret phone-records collection program Updated: May-23-15 2:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Security Agency has begun winding down its collection and storage of American phone records after the Senate failed to agree on a path forward to change or extend the once-secret program ahead of its expiration at the end of the month.
- Provo police chief calls for expanded Medicaid to help crime Updated: May-23-15 1:24 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah police chief is calling on state lawmakers to accept federal funding to expand Medicaid as a way to fight crime.
- Veterans frustrated by presidential debate on Iraq war Updated: May-23-15 12:22 pm
Veterans of the Iraq War have been watching in frustration as Republican presidential contenders distance themselves from the decision their party enthusiastically supported to invade that country.
- Obama includes Vice President Biden in regular golf game Updated: May-23-15 12:03 pm
POTOMAC, Maryland - A surprise player has joined President Barack Obama's regular weekend golf game: Vice President Joe Biden.
- Democrats see skimpy insurance as the next health care issue Updated: May-23-15 8:36 am
WASHINGTON - A different health care issue has emerged for Democrats, in sync with the party's pitch to workers and middle-class voters ahead of next year's elections.
- Senate clears White House-backed trade bill Updated: May-23-15 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Senate passed bipartisan legislation Friday night to strengthen the administration's hand in global trade talks, clearing the way for a highly unpredictable summer showdown in the House.
- Another patch put in place for highway and transit funding Updated: May-23-15 4:30 am
WASHINGTON - Congress has sent President Barack Obama a bill to keep highway and transit aid flowing to states for another two months and prevent shutdown of summer construction projects.
- Syrians try to build case against Assad in chlorine attacks Updated: May-23-15 2:06 am
BEIRUT - With only a cloth mask for protection, Firas Kayali rushed to try to rescue the residents of a house in a village in rebel-held northern Syria after a barrel bomb, suspected to be filled with chlorine gas, hit nearby.
- Senators sing blues over impasse; GOP hopefuls stuck in DC Updated: May-22-15 10:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Two senators have a plane to catch to Cuba, others were hoping to impress Republican presidential primary voters and then there's Sen. Lamar Alexander, who is slated to deliver a sunset piano performance of "Ol' Man River" on the banks of the Mississippi.
- Murray Energy expects more than 1,800 coal mine layoffs Updated: May-22-15 6:46 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Appalachian coal mining suffered a double blow Friday, as Murray Energy announced plans to lay off more than 1,800 miners, most from West Virginia, and Alpha Natural Resources told another 439 Mountain State miners they could be out of work.
- US, Cuba close round of talks with no embassy announcement Updated: May-22-15 4:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States and Cuba still have no agreement on re-establishing embassies.
- Gov. Kasich rescinds union rights for Ohio care workers Updated: May-22-15 4:16 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Republican Gov. John Kasich on Friday rescinded a pair of directives issued by his predecessor that allowed independent home health care and child care workers under contract with the state to unionize, arguing the key union benefit of health insurance coverage is now widely available elsewhere.
- Obama signs bill giving Congress a say on Iran nuclear deal Updated: May-22-15 4:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Though he once vigorously opposed its involvement, President Barack Obama signed legislation Friday that gives Congress the power to review and potentially reject a nuclear deal with Iran.
- Montreal Alouettes sign openly gay defensive end Michael Sam Updated: May-22-15 3:27 pm
MONTREAL - Michael Sam has found a pro football job. In Canada.
- White House: Offensive Twitter posts part of 'open society' Updated: May-22-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says "offensive and disgusting" replies posted on President Barack Obama's new Twitter account are part of an open society.
- Biden discusses Asia-Pacific region at Navy graduation Updated: May-22-15 1:16 pm
- Art world descends on Cuba for a month amid surging interest Updated: May-22-15 12:07 pm
HAVANA - A surge in interest in all things Cuban is extending to paintings and sculpture, with U.S. art collectors and dealers descending on Havana for a monthlong exhibition amid expectations that art prices will rise because of the detente between the former Cold War rivals.
- Demilitarizing the cops: States retool police training Updated: May-22-15 11:35 am
BURIEN, Washington - When prosecutor Dan Satterberg used to visit Washington state's police academy, the seas would part before him. Recruits would snap to attention, backs to the walls, and allow him to pass.
- NATO announces next summit will be July 2016 in Warsaw Updated: May-22-15 11:17 am
BRUSSELS - NATO says its next summit will take place July 8-9, 2016 in Warsaw, Poland as the alliance continues to reshape itself to meet new security challenges.
- Obama nominates Miller as US attorney for Vermont Updated: May-22-15 7:48 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - President Barack Obama has nominated Burlington lawyer Eric Miller to serve as the next U.S. attorney for Vermont.
- Aide to Sen. Coons nominated to be US Marshal Updated: May-21-15 7:19 pm
DOVER, Delaware - U.S. Sen. Tom Carper says an aide to fellow Sen. Chris Coons has been tapped by President Obama to be the next United States Marshal for Delaware.
- Nebraska votes to scrap ban on immigrant driver's licenses Updated: May-21-15 6:32 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's Legislature voted Thursday to end the nation's last ban on driving privileges for young people brought into the United States illegally as children, agreeing to scrap the policy by a veto-proof margin even as the state's new Republican governor continued to signal his opposition.
- Democrats seek return to relevance in Tennessee politics Updated: May-21-15 5:51 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - For a party once accustomed to dominating state politics, the outlook for Tennessee Democrats is bleak.
- MLB hopes to move ahead with Cuba exhibition next spring Updated: May-21-15 5:39 pm
NEW YORK - Major League Baseball hopes to move ahead with plans for an exhibition game in Cuba next year