- Ongoing FBI probe could have fallout for Democrats Updated: Dec-01-13 2:32 pm
- Walters: Hollywood's state tax credit tarnished by scandal... Updated: Nov-29-13 2:17 pm
- Dan Walters: Activist government spawns corruption... Updated: Nov-19-13 9:47 am
- California lawmaker says he was asked to wear wire Updated: Nov-14-13 5:37 pm
- California's tax system is out of whack Updated: Nov-13-13 11:47 am
- Walters: California's tax system doesn't make sense Updated: Nov-11-13 9:46 am
SACRAMENTO, California - An ongoing federal investigation of a California senator is roiling the Democratic leadership in Sacramento and threatens to complicate relations in the majority party when lawmakers reconvene in January.
The term "rent-seeking" entered the economic lexicon in the mid-1970s, meaning the employment of political pull to obtain a monopoly or some other unearned economic benefit.
11-19-13 - Environmental groups claimed a major victory for the public interest four decades ago when voters, and then the Legislature, imposed tight regulation on the development of land along California's 1,000-mile-long coastline.
SACRAMENTO, California - Embattled state Sen. Ron Calderon says federal authorities wanted him to wear a wire and record conversations with the Senate leader and another lawmaker, and after he refused they tried to ruin his reputation by raiding his offices and leaking an FBI affidavit alleging he took money in return for promoting bills.
WALTERS (Walters, Sacramento Bee - Column)
What happened - or, more accurately, what didn't happen - to Senate Bill 30 this year is a perfect illustration of the California Legislature's endemic disconnection from real life.