- USDA offers funding for farmers markets, local food programs Updated: Jul-05-15 8:34 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The U.S. Department of Agriculture's focus has traditionally been on food production, agriculture and natural resources but under the administration of President Barack Obama the USDA also has taken on a broader rural economic development role.
- Bangladesh-based poverty group founder wins World Food Prize Updated: Jul-01-15 2:28 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A man who created a nonprofit organization credited with helping more than 150 million people out of poverty was named the winner of the 2015 World Food Prize on Wednesday.
- $50 million in claims for grasslands fire Updated: Jun-30-15 12:32 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Ranchers and landowners filed more than $50 million in damage claims over a prescribed burn that veered out of control and burned 16,000 acres in North Dakota and South Dakota.
- Feds give California funds for drought aid, restoration Updated: Jun-24-15 6:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Federal officials said Wednesday another $150 million would be provided to aid California drought aid programs.
- USDA program promotes products such as plant-based bottles Updated: Jun-17-15 6:52 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A program designed to promote ethanol and biodiesel fuels will be expanded to companies using plant-based plastic, rubber and fiber in manufacturing products such as bottles and packaging, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Wednesday.
- Federal agencies pledge another $110 million in drought aid Updated: Jun-12-15 5:41 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Federal agencies pledged another $110 million in aid Friday to help states struggling with the crippling drought after President Barack Obama talked to leaders from seven western states.
- House votes to repeal country-of-origin labeling on meat Updated: Jun-10-15 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - House Republicans voted Wednesday to repeal a law requiring country-of-origin labels on packages of meat - a move to avoid costly trade retaliation from Canada and Mexico.
- Feds say Southwest, Northwest could see catastrophic fires Updated: Jun-09-15 7:46 pm
DENVER - Despite a wet spring over much of the nation, the Obama administration warned Tuesday of potentially catastrophic wildfires this summer, especially in the Southwest and Northwest.