- Pence asks for disaster declaration in 53 Indiana counties Updated: Jul-31-15 2:47 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence and Sen. Joe Donnelly are asking the U.S. agriculture secretary to declare 53 of Indiana's 92 counties disaster areas because of crop damage and losses caused by flooding and excessive rain.
- US expects to pay farmers $191 million for birds lost to flu Updated: Jul-28-15 4:10 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The U.S. government expects to spend $191 million to pay chicken and turkey farmers for birds lost to avian flu, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Tuesday as he called for Congress to consider a disaster program for poultry producers similar to that for other livestock farmers.
- Illinois governor seeks federal flood relief for crops Updated: Jul-24-15 4:08 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has requested federal flood relief for all counties in Illinois experiencing crop damage.
- House passes bill to prevent mandatory GMO labeling Updated: Jul-23-15 3:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Food companies would not have to disclose whether their products include genetically modified ingredients under legislation passed by the House Thursday.
- 5 things: House bill would prevent mandatory GMO labeling Updated: Jul-23-15 9:11 am
WASHINGTON - States could no longer require labels on genetically modified foods under legislation the House is considering.
- Browns Canyon National Monument dedicated Updated: Jul-18-15 5:49 pm
SALIDA, Colorado - Interior Secretary Sally Jewell joined federal and state officials on Saturday to dedicate the newly created Browns Canyon National Monument near Buena Vista.
- Missouri sues federal agency over crop insurance reports Updated: Jul-16-15 5:42 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri is suing the U.S. agriculture secretary for not extending the deadline for some farmers to file reports needed for crop insurance.
- Vilsack: Federal law bars Wisconsin food stamp drug testing Updated: Jul-15-15 7:44 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says federal law bars the drug testing of food stamp recipients that Wisconsin plans.
- Drought makes 24 counties eligible for federal assistance Updated: Jul-15-15 6:59 pm
HELENA, Montana - The U.S. Secretary of Agriculture has designated 15 Montana counties as natural disaster areas due to drought.
- USDA offers funding for farmers markets, local food programs Updated: Jul-05-15 8:34 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The U.S. Department of Agriculture's focus has traditionally been on food production, agriculture and natural resources but under the administration of President Barack Obama the USDA also has taken on a broader rural economic development role.
- Bangladesh-based poverty group founder wins World Food Prize Updated: Jul-01-15 2:28 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A man who created a nonprofit organization credited with helping more than 150 million people out of poverty was named the winner of the 2015 World Food Prize on Wednesday.