- Pope stokes flames ahead of US trip even as he ends problems Updated: May-01-15 8:05 am
VATICAN CITY - When Pope Francis visits the United States this fall, he can expect the same rock-star adulation that greets him wherever he goes. But his positions on hot-button issues such as the death penalty and climate change could quickly set the stage for conflict. That may explain why Francis has been clearing the decks on a host of less high-profile matters of contention that could also have marred the visit.
- Pope accepts resignation of bishop who didn't report abuse Updated: Apr-21-15 11:01 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Pope Francis accepted the resignation Tuesday of a U.S. bishop who was convicted of failing to report a suspected child abuser, answering calls by victims to take action against bishops who cover up for pedophile priests.
- Death penalty protest marks return of marathon bomber trial Updated: Apr-21-15 6:04 pm
BOSTON - Death penalty opponents are renewing their calls for mercy as the federal trial of convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev enters the penalty phase.
- Pope urged to deal with bishops who fail to protect kids Updated: Apr-15-15 11:47 am
VATICAN CITY - The issue of holding bishops accountable for failing to protect children from sexual deviants arrived squarely on Pope Francis' agenda Wednesday as his point-man on sex abuse raised the case of a controversial bishop appointment in Chile.
- Pope's sex abuse advisors meet in Rome over Chile bishop Updated: Apr-12-15 5:07 pm
VATICAN CITY - Four members of Pope Francis' sex abuse advisory commission traveled to Rome on Sunday to voice their concerns in person about Francis' appointment of a Chilean bishop accused of covering up for the country's most notorious molester.
- Bishops say Tsarnaev should not receive death penalty Updated: Apr-06-15 6:38 pm
BOSTON - Boston Cardinal Sean O'Malley and fellow Massachusetts Roman Catholic bishops said Monday it would be against the church's teaching to apply the death penalty to Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.