- House OK of GOP Syrian refugee curbs is just start of fight Updated: Nov-20-15 10:00 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans have embarrassed President Barack Obama by winning veto-proof House approval of legislation blocking Syrian and Iraqi refugees from the U.S., but from here the effort may take a different turn in Congress.
- Bipartisan push in Senate for war powers after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-19-15 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The Paris attacks have given new impetus to a bipartisan push to approve new war powers to fight Islamic State militants, with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday joining Republican and Democratic lawmakers in calling for what would be the first war vote in Congress in 13 years.
- Republicans rush to shut borders to Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 9:40 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans urged an immediate closure of America's borders to Syrian refugees Tuesday, drawing angry denunciations from President Barack Obama and other Democrats and igniting an emotional debate about U.S. values in the wake of the deadly Paris terror attacks.
- Analysis: Cut, cut, cower - Lawmakers back down to uproar Updated: Nov-10-15 2:07 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker Paul Ryan promises a big, bold agenda and says lawmakers won't shy from difficult choices. But several recent votes demonstrate Congress' continuing penchant for small ball and timidity - and the tendency of lawmakers to reverse course at the first tingle of political pain.
- Veteran Texas Rep. ready for powerful chairman's role Updated: Nov-09-15 3:47 am
WASHINGTON - The House's newest and perhaps most powerful committee chairman is a 60-year-old Texas Republican who began life in a family of stalwart Democrats from South Dakota and lost his father at age 12 in a courtroom shooting.
- Paul Ryan ushers in a more open House, for better or worse Updated: Nov-06-15 1:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Late nights dealing with scores of amendments on the House floor.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Pelosi says next president a "she" Updated: Nov-05-15 3:50 pm
WASHINGTON - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi made a presidential prediction Thursday while talking about the budget.
- Momentum builds for reviving Export-Import Bank Updated: Nov-05-15 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Congressional backers of the U.S. Export-Import Bank are close to reviving it four months after conservative foes ensured that its charter expired.
- Denise Juneau launches campaign for Montana's US House seat Updated: Nov-04-15 5:24 pm
HELENA, Montana - The first female Native American elected to a statewide office in Montana is setting her sights on Congress.
- Policy fights, funding battles still pose shutdown threat Updated: Nov-04-15 3:26 am
WASHINGTON - Despite a broad budget deal, the White House and congressional Republicans must resolve dozens of policy issues and spending fights if they are to avoid a holiday season government shutdown.
- Hello policy fights on spending bill, bye budget goodwill Updated: Nov-03-15 3:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Despite a broad budget deal, fights over Planned Parenthood, the environment and other policy issues still threaten a spending bill to keep the government running, reviving the possibility of a holiday season shutdown.
- Ex-Speaker Hastert's portrait removed from House hallway Updated: Nov-02-15 7:46 pm
WASHINGTON - New Speaker Paul Ryan has had a portrait of Dennis Hastert removed from a hallway outside the House chamber, just days after the former speaker pleaded guilty to breaking banking laws in a hush money scheme.
- Florida GOP congressman who clashed with Boehner to retire Updated: Nov-02-15 1:30 pm
WASHINGTON - A Florida Republican congressman who clashed with former House Speaker John Boehner said Monday that he will not run for re-election next year.
- Boehner: 'Catholic guilt' swayed Ryan on speakership Updated: Nov-01-15 1:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Former House Speaker John Boehner says he used "Catholic guilt" to persuade Paul Ryan to run for speaker.
- Ohio governor sets special elections to fill Boehner vacancy Updated: Nov-01-15 1:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A special election to fill the Ohio congressional seat vacated by former House Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur) will be held June 7.
- Speaker Ryan on mission to clean house, from the ground up Updated: Nov-01-15 1:11 pm
WASHINGTON - When new Speaker Paul Ryan says he's ready to clean house, he really means it.
- Lawmakers hope for calm after the storm on Capitol Hill Updated: Oct-31-15 8:53 am
WASHINGTON - With a new speaker in the House and a major budget-and-debt deal completed, lawmakers hope they are entering a welcome period of calm - even boredom - on Capitol Hill.
- Budget agreement forces new look at oft-panned proposals Updated: Oct-30-15 5:11 am
WASHINGTON - The big budget deal that the White House is so happy about contains a couple of items that President Barack Obama or other administration officials were panning not too long ago.
- Obama and Ryan: Political foils, occasional policy partners Updated: Oct-30-15 3:59 am
WASHINGTON - For years, President Barack Obama and newly-elected House Speaker Paul Ryan have been political foes and occasional policy allies.
- All 4 in Kansas delegation vote for Ryan as US House speaker Updated: Oct-29-15 5:59 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas congressman Tim Huelskamp has voted for Paul Ryan as House speaker after previously backing another candidate.
- The Latest: Lawmakers line up for photos with Paul Ryan Updated: Oct-29-15 4:42 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments in the changing of the guard in the House leadership, with Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin succeeding Rep. John Boehner of Ohio as speaker (all times local):
- New day for House as Paul Ryan becomes 54th speaker Updated: Oct-29-15 4:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Paul Ryan became the 54th speaker of the U.S. House on Thursday in a day of high political theater, a young new leader for a fractured Congress, charged with healing Republican divides and quieting the chaos of Capitol Hill.
- Budget Deal winners: Obama, Pentagon while tea partyers lose Updated: Oct-29-15 11:55 am
WASHINGTON - Count President Barack Obama, the Pentagon and new Speaker Paul Ryan as winners in the hard-fought budget deal between congressional leaders and the White House.
- New House Speaker Ryan found himself while at Ohio college Updated: Oct-29-15 11:45 am
CINCINNATI - Newly elected U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan has said he found himself while in college in John Boehner's (BAY'-nerz) home county in southwest Ohio.
- Boehner voices few regrets, no second thoughts on way out Updated: Oct-28-15 6:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Speaker John Boehner, reflecting Wednesday on a nearly quarter-century run on Capitol Hill, defended his decision to push a bipartisan budget deal through the House as his final act before leaving Congress.