- Hastert rose to speakership among the scandals of others Updated: May-29-15 5:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Dennis Hastert's career as House speaker both arose and ended amid the sex-related scandals of others.
- Administration asks judge to toss House health care suit Updated: May-28-15 4:39 pm
WASHINGTON - A skeptical federal judge grilled Obama administration lawyers Thursday over the House GOP's health care lawsuit, sounding unlikely to side with the president and dismiss the case.
- New federal rules on stream protection hailed, criticized Updated: May-27-15 4:18 pm
WASHINGTON - New federal rules designed to better protect small streams, tributaries and wetlands - and the drinking water of 117 million Americans - are being criticized by Republicans and farm groups as going too far.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- Congress' familiar path: short-term solutions Updated: May-23-15 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Long is the list of problems Congress has addressed with short-term answers.
- Senate clears White House-backed trade bill Updated: May-23-15 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Senate passed bipartisan legislation Friday night to strengthen the administration's hand in global trade talks, clearing the way for a highly unpredictable summer showdown in the House.
- Justice Department eyes voting reforms for American Indians Updated: May-21-15 7:32 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - The U.S. Department of Justice is seeking legislation that would require state and local election officials to work with American Indian tribes to locate at least one polling place on or near each tribe's land.
- Congress honors American Fighter Aces for service in 4 wars Updated: May-20-15 6:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Air Force Lt. Gen. Charles "Chick" Cleveland flew 145 combat missions in Korea and Vietnam, shooting down at least five planes during a career in which he logged more than 4,500 flying hours.
- Capitol cops get bathroom training after guns left in toilet Updated: May-20-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Capitol Police officers are getting training after officers accidentally left their guns in the Capitol's public bathrooms three times this year.
- Boehner: Little progress at VA year after Shinseki departure Updated: May-20-15 5:31 pm
WASHINGTON - The Department of Veterans Affairs is no better off a year after former VA Secretary Eric Shinseki resigned amid a scandal over long wait times for veterans seeking health care and falsified records to cover up the delays, House Speaker John Boehner charged Wednesday.
- Balancing act for House Democratic Leader Pelosi on trade Updated: May-20-15 11:01 am
WASHINGTON - As House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi delivered the signature achievement of President Barack Obama's first term: his health care bill. Now Obama's top second-term goal, a major trade deal, hangs in the balance on Capitol Hill and Pelosi is again on the spot.
- Boehner: Obama should draft second version of new war powers Updated: May-19-15 5:42 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House pushed back on Tuesday against House Speaker John Boehner who said that President Barack Obama should rip up his draft of new war powers to fight Islamic State militants and send Congress a new one.
- GOP conservatives confident they can kill Ex-Im Bank Updated: May-19-15 1:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Conservatives dominating the GOP-controlled House said Tuesday that they are increasingly confident of killing a little-known federal agency that subsidizes overseas purchases of U.S. exports.
- Boehner doesn't defend NH's Rep. Guinta over contributions Updated: May-19-15 11:30 am
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner stopped short Tuesday of defending embattled Rep. Frank Guinta, saying lawmakers must meet "the highest ethical standards" when asked if the New Hampshire Republican should remain in Congress.
- House panel to hold Amtrak hearing; Schumer blasts Boehner Updated: May-15-15 11:56 pm
NEW YORK - A U.S. House committee announced Friday it would hold a hearing on the deadly Amtrak crash while U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer launched another push to get Congress to pay for train safety technology and infrastructure improvements in the wake of the derailment.
- Booker, Menendez make case for more funds for transportation Updated: May-15-15 10:10 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - New Jersey's two U.S. senators renewed the call Friday for long-term funding for rail improvements they said are desperately needed to ensure safety and economic competitiveness.
- House speaker decries 'stupid question' about Amtrak funds Updated: May-14-15 6:43 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner said Thursday that this week's fatal Amtrak crash wasn't caused by a lack of federal funds and mocked a reporter for even asking about it.
- House passes bill for Congress to review Iran nuclear deal Updated: May-14-15 5:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress on Thursday sent President Barack Obama a bill to give lawmakers the power to review and potentially reject a nuclear deal with Iran.
- House approves GOP bill banning most late-term abortions Updated: May-13-15 7:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans finally won House approval Wednesday for a late-term abortion ban after dropping rape provisions that provoked a rebellion by female GOP lawmakers, forcing party leaders into an embarrassing retreat.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: May-13-15 4:45 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
- Reaction to death of former US House Speaker Jim Wright Updated: May-06-15 7:10 pm
DALLAS - Reaction to the death of Jim Wright, former U.S. House speaker and longtime Texas Democratic congressman:
- Former House Speaker Jim Wright dies at age 92 Updated: May-06-15 6:34 pm
DALLAS - Former U.S. House Speaker Jim Wright, the longtime Texas Democrat who became the first House speaker in the nation's history to be driven out of office in midterm, has died at age 92.
- Conservatives threaten defense bill over immigration Updated: May-06-15 5:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Two dozen House conservatives are threatening to oppose a sweeping defense policy bill over a nonbinding provision aimed at allowing immigrants brought illegally to this country as children to serve in the military. Their move could provoke a clash on a perennially volatile topic that's become a major issue in the presidential campaign.
- Analysis: Republican budget claims don't add up Updated: May-06-15 3:05 pm
WASHINGTON - On paper and in speeches, Republicans boast that Congress' first budget since they won control of the Senate and House last fall will eliminate red ink within a decade.
- Senate adopts GOP budget targeting 'Obamacare' Updated: May-05-15 8:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Tuesday adopted a GOP budget that paves the way for an assault on President Barack Obama's health care law this summer and a partisan showdown over spending bills this fall.