- Solid US job growth cuts unemployment to 7 pct. Updated: Dec-06-13 3:15 pm
- Budget deal? Big obstacles, New Year's deadline Updated: Dec-05-13 6:20 pm
- Milk prices could rise if farm bill looms Updated: Dec-05-13 5:13 pm
- Boehner: GOP should be more sensitive to women Updated: Dec-05-13 1:54 pm
- White House Watch: What did Congress do in 2013? Updated: Dec-05-13 1:50 pm
- Pelosi nixes budget deal without jobless benefits Updated: Dec-05-13 12:40 pm
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge Updated: Dec-04-13 7:09 pm
- Farm Bill may move in an otherwise unproductive year Updated: Dec-04-13 12:52 pm
- Religion news in brief Updated: Dec-04-13 12:12 pm
- Immigrant activists end DC fast, pass baton Updated: Dec-03-13 4:13 pm
- Oregon activists join immigration reform fast Updated: Dec-03-13 2:52 pm
- Florida activists join immigrants in national fast Updated: Dec-03-13 11:38 am
- Obama visits activists fasting for immigration Updated: Nov-29-13 5:53 pm
- Editorial: Congress free from threat of overwork Updated: Nov-29-13 9:48 am
- Obama pardons turkeys as part of annual rite Updated: Nov-27-13 5:28 pm
- Radel held fundraiser days after cocaine buy Updated: Nov-22-13 11:22 am
- Boehner signs on to 'Obamacare' after delay, tweet Updated: Nov-21-13 7:27 pm
- McAllister sworn in as Louisiana's new congressman Updated: Nov-21-13 12:27 pm
- Congress honors American Indian code talkers Updated: Nov-20-13 4:25 pm
- SD livestock industry counting on farm bill Updated: Nov-16-13 12:19 pm
- Obama relying more on immigration rule changes Updated: Nov-15-13 6:03 pm
- Biden urges immigration reform at Atlanta ceremony Updated: Nov-14-13 5:27 pm
- From Obama, a blunt acceptance of blame Updated: Nov-14-13 4:38 pm
- Rep. Boehner rules out new taxes in budget talks Updated: Nov-14-13 12:31 pm
- Boehner: Only health care fix is to scrap law Updated: Nov-14-13 11:51 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. job market has been recovering fitfully for three years. Now, it's starting to show consistency.
WASHINGTON - With hopes of a "grand bargain" long gone, congressional negotiators now are seeking a more modest deal before year-end to ease the automatic spending cuts that are squeezing both the Pentagon and domestic federal programs. But the going is getting rougher.
WASHINGTON - A New Year's deadline that could send the price of milk skyward looms over congressional negotiators as they try to reach agreement on a five-year farm bill. They've been tripped up by differences over the nation's food stamp program and how to restructure farm subsidies.
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner says some Republicans aren't as sensitive as they should be when they campaign against female candidates.
12-05-13 - WASHNGTON - In a burst of affronted dignity, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, challenged us, the people, to look at all the legislation the House has passed this year. He suggested we'd be impressed.
WASHINGTON - The leader of House Democrats says her rank and file won't support any year-end budget deal unless it includes plans to extend expiring unemployment benefits for long-term victims of the recession.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama prodded Congress to raise wages and secure the social safety net as he issued an overarching appeal Wednesday to correct economic inequalities that he said make it harder for a child to escape poverty. "That should offend all of us," he declared. "We are a better country than this."
12-04-13 - WASHINGTON - Although the Senate is in recess this week, Mississippi's Thad Cochran is returning to Washington for a meeting on the Farm Bill which appears on track to be one of the few legislative accomplishments in a deadlocked Congressional year.
Christmas tree is lit outside U.S. Capitol amid hymns
MIAMI - Three immigrant advocates on a hunger strike to pressure lawmakers to change the country's immigration system ended their three-week fast Tuesday on the National Mall, while a new group of fasters including U.S. Rep. Joseph Kennedy III took their place.
PORTLAND, Oregon - About half a dozen Oregon immigrant rights activists are fasting for 24 hours to protest inaction in Congress on immigration reform.
MIAMI - Nearly a dozen Florida immigration advocates are fasting for the day in solidarity with activists on a hunger strike in Washington.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday told activists who are fasting to protest House inaction on immigration legislation that their "commitment to change" ultimately will help pressure lawmakers to act.
The headline on the Congress-watching newspaper Politico said it all: "Done."
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama spared two turkeys from the brine and the oven Wednesday, fulfilling the annual tradition of a presidential pardon for a couple of lucky birds ahead of Thanksgiving Day.
NAPLES, Fla. - Days after purchasing cocaine from an undercover officer on Oct. 29, Rep. Trey Radel was back in his district to raise money for his 2014 re-election bid.
WASHINGTON - Being speaker of the House doesn't make it any easier to sign up for health care coverage using the troubled federal website. Just ask John Boehner.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republican newcomer Vance McAllister has been sworn in as the newest member of Congress, to represent northeast, central and a portion of southeast Louisiana.
WASHINGTON - For decades, the wartime service of 96-year-old Edmond Harjo and other American Indian "code talkers" was something that wasn't even officially acknowledged, let alone publically recognized.
WASHINGTON - As Congress negotiates a compromise over the farm bill, the most important thing for South Dakota and its beleaguered livestock industry isn't any one provision. Rather, it's passing any sort of bill to restore the help for farmers that expired this fall.
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration will allow some relatives of U.S. service members living in the country illegally to stay, according to a policy directive issued Friday.
ATLANTA - Vice President Joe Biden stressed the need for comprehensive immigration reform with a path to citizenship Thursday as he welcomed about 100 new U.S. citizens during a naturalization ceremony in Atlanta.
WASHINGTON - "We fumbled the rollout on this health care law."
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner says a budget deal "won't happen" if Democrats keep insisting on more tax increases.
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner says the only way to fix President Barack Obama's health care law is to scrap it entirely.