- Celtics get quick start, beat Nuggets 106-98 Updated: Dec-06-13 11:11 pm
- Vigil for Mandela at Rainbow Push headquarters Updated: Dec-06-13 8:49 pm
- NYC school to be named after Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 8:49 pm
- Obama, Bush, Clinton to travel to South Africa Updated: Dec-06-13 8:09 pm
- President Obama lights National Christmas Tree Updated: Dec-06-13 7:01 pm
- Tomblin orders flags lowered through sunset Monday Updated: Dec-06-13 6:56 pm
- Walker orders flags lowered in Mandela memory Updated: Dec-06-13 6:38 pm
- Song, dance, tears for Mandela in South Africa Updated: Dec-06-13 6:26 pm
- Nantes stuns Marseille 1-0 in French league Updated: Dec-06-13 5:57 pm
- NJ flags to be at half-staff to honor Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 5:56 pm
- Maya Angelou mourns longtime friend Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 5:49 pm
- Editorial: Mandela and his ideas triumphed Updated: Dec-06-13 5:21 pm
- Dayton: Minn. flags at half-staff for Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 4:41 pm
- AP WAS THERE: Mandela's release from prison Updated: Dec-06-13 3:47 pm
- Memorial for Mandela planned at National Cathedral Updated: Dec-06-13 3:26 pm
- Mandela mourned as inspiration in many struggles Updated: Dec-06-13 2:24 pm
- South Africa begins life without Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 2:04 pm
- Defending champion Spain gets repeat of 2010 final Updated: Dec-06-13 12:47 pm
- Hillary Clinton: Mandela a 'giant among us' Updated: Dec-06-13 12:27 pm
- Mandela film shifts from tribute to eulogy Updated: Dec-06-13 11:56 am
- Flags in SD at half-staff in Mandela's memory Updated: Dec-06-13 11:53 am
- Conn. flags lowered for Mandela, Pearl Harbor Updated: Dec-06-13 11:04 am
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of Music' Updated: Dec-06-13 10:52 am
- Mandela to be buried Dec. 15 Updated: Dec-06-13 10:52 am
- Vt. Gov. Shumlin lowers flags to honor Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 10:25 am
BOSTON - Kris Humphries didn't play 20 minutes in a game for the whole month of November. Five times this season he never got off the bench at all.
NEW YORK - Mayor Michael Bloomberg says a New York City school will be named after South African leader Nelson Mandela.
WASHINGTON - At least three American presidents will travel to South Africa to attend memorial services for anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela, who died Thursday at age 95.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama threw the switch, bathing the National Christmas Tree in lights and giving an otherwise dreary day in the nation's capital a festive and seasonal spirit. He later singled out Nelson Mandela, the beloved South African anti-apartheid leader who died Thursday, for special gratitude.
JOHANNESBURG - Themba Radebe spun slowly in a circle.
MARSEILLE, France - An early goal from U.S. international midfielder Alejandro Bedoya gave promoted Nantes a 1-0 victory over Marseille on Friday and saw his team leapfrog its opponent into fourth place in the French league.
TRENTON, New Jersey - Flags on New Jersey buildings will be at half-staff to honor the life of Nelson Mandela.
NEW YORK - Maya Angelou, who first met Nelson Mandela in the early 1960s, praised him as a great man worthy of comparison to another icon she knew, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
The white South African system of apartheid was a brutal, cynical system of racial segregation that was becoming increasingly unsustainable and most observers believed it could end in only one way - massive bloodshed.
EDITOR'S NOTE - On Feb. 11, 1990, AP reporter Greg Myre was in Cape Town when Nelson Mandela was released from prison after 27 years. Mandela walked out of Victor Verster prison hand-in-hand with his then wife, Winnie, as people worldwide rejoiced. The momentous event rivaled the fall of the Berlin Wall just a few months earlier as a symbol of newfound freedom. Twenty-three years after its original publication, the AP is making this story available to its subscribers.
WASHINGTON - A memorial for former South African leader Nelson Mandela is being planned at the Washington National Cathedral.
Nelson Mandela led black South Africans in their struggle to throw off the yoke of white rule and then helped the entire nation heal the wounds of racial division.
JOHANNESBURG - What next for South Africa?
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Defending champion Spain will play its opening World Cup game against the Netherlands, a repeat of the 2010 final, while host Brazil faces a relatively easy path to the knockout stage after Friday's draw.
WASHINGTON - Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is remembering Nelson Mandela as a "giant among us" who showed the world how to respond to injustice and tragedy.
NEW YORK - With the passing of Nelson Mandela, the sweeping biopic "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" transforms in the midst of its theatrical release from a living tribute to a big-screen eulogy.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut's governor has directed flags to fly at half-staff in recognition of both the death of Nelson Mandela and the lives lost in the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.
NEW YORK - Whew, that was nerve-wracking, right? All those kids and staircases, pillow fights, candles and dancing. But somehow the cast and crew of NBC's three-hour live telecast of "The Sound of Music" pulled it off Thursday night with only a trodden-on dress, some inconsistent sound levels and a flubbed few words.