- Ovechkin apologizes for Russia hockey performance Updated: Feb-25-14 3:31 pm
- Alex Ovechkin's father recovering from surgery Updated: Feb-20-14 3:25 pm
- Russia knocked out of Olympic hockey by Finns, 3-1 Updated: Feb-19-14 12:35 pm
- Column: Too late to put Putin back in a uniform? Updated: Feb-13-14 12:46 pm
- Volosozhar-Trankov lead pairs after short program Updated: Feb-11-14 3:09 pm
- Ovechkin gets 40th to lead Capitals past Jets 4-2 Updated: Feb-06-14 11:11 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Alex Ovechkin apologized for Russia's hockey performance at the Olympics, a sentiment put in perspective by the encouraging news that his father was on the way home after heart surgery.
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Russia's stunning elimination from the Olympic hockey tournament was followed by somber family news for Alex Ovechkin, whose father is recovering from heart surgery after falling ill in Sochi.
SOCHI, Russia - The Russians dutifully shook the Finns' hands and then skated to the center of a rink built to showcase their return to Olympic hockey dominance. When they raised their sticks in a mournful salute, they got more whistles than cheers from their devastated fans.
SOCHI, Russia - The hometown lads started so fast that you half-expected to see Vladimir Putin, the 60-year-old president who suited up for an exhibition game here last month, slip back into a uniform and take a few shifts. Maybe Maria Sharapova, too.
SOCHI, Russia - Maxim Trankov patted the ice then kissed his hand.
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry, the most powerful politician in the house, performed a ceremonial puck drop to send the Olympians on their way.