- C. African Republic: UN force needed for survival Updated: Mar-06-14 3:28 pm
- UN demands humanitarian aid for all of Syria Updated: Feb-22-14 4:02 pm
- UN urges reinforcements for CAfrican Republic Updated: Feb-20-14 5:57 pm
- What cease-fire? South Sudan violence persists Updated: Feb-12-14 9:50 am
- Russia, China skip Security Council talks on Syria Updated: Feb-10-14 7:31 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Central African Republic's foreign minister told the Security Council Thursday that a U.N. peacekeeping mission is urgently needed in his country to bolster French and African troops struggling to contain sectarian killing between Muslims and Christians. One top U.N. official said there essentially has been a "cleansing" of the Muslim population in western Central Africa Republic.
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council united for the first time on a resolution on Syria's humanitarian crisis Saturday, demanding that President Bashar Assad's government and the opposition provide immediate access everywhere in the country to deliver aid to millions of people in desperate need.
BANGUI, Central African Republic - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Thursday for the rapid deployment of at least 3,000 additional troops and police to conflict-wracked Central African Republic to prevent further religious killings that have forced almost one million people to flee their homes and are partitioning the country into Muslim and Christian areas.
JUBA, South Sudan - Cluster bombs. Rebel forces advancing on a major city. Accusations of continuing attacks. The cease-fire in South Sudan appears to not be holding.
UNITED NATIONS - Russia is blocking Western efforts to push through a Security Council resolution that would raise the prospect of sanctions against Syria unless the government gives unrestricted access to deliver humanitarian aid.