- News briefs from around Tennessee at 1:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Aug-31-15 3:04 am
A gunman killed three relatives in a surprise attack witnessed by several children in a home in eastern Tennessee, authorities said.
- Dem chairwoman calls on GOP lawmaker to resign over EPA fine Updated: Aug-28-15 6:50 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - State Democratic Party Chairwoman Mary Mancini on Friday called on Republican state Rep. Andy Holt to resign over alleged environmental violations at his northwestern Tennessee hog farm.
- O'Malley makes presidential campaign stop in Tennessee Updated: Aug-28-15 8:53 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley knows he needs to make a big splash in early presidential contests like Iowa and New Hampshire, but he said he's already looking ahead to the next group of primary states like Tennessee in his bid for the Democratic nomination.
- Corker urges long-term road funding solutions in Tennessee Updated: Aug-26-15 3:22 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Republican U.S. Sen. Bob Corker said Wednesday that he hopes his home state of Tennessee won't emulate Washington policymakers by spending on transportation projects without finding ways to pay for them.
- Humane Society says new videos document walking horse abuse Updated: Aug-25-15 6:53 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Three years after a prominent Tennessee walking horse trainer pleaded guilty to abuse charges following the release of undercover videos, a new horse abuse investigation is under way.
- Former Dem congressman, GOP operative decry dark money Updated: Aug-25-15 3:09 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A former Democratic congressman and a prominent Republican political operative on Tuesday called for ending untraceable spending for and against candidates in Tennessee and around the country.
- Tenn. GOP senators call for 'emergency rules' on abortion Updated: Aug-24-15 5:10 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Five Republican state senators are calling on Gov. Bill Haslam to enact "emergency rules" for abortion providers in Tennessee.
- Haslam: Road funding needs widely accepted, but not gas tax Updated: Aug-17-15 5:15 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam sees widespread agreement about Tennessee's need to spend more on transportation projects.
- Biden calls Chattanooga shooter a 'perverted jihadist' Updated: Aug-15-15 5:35 pm
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Vice President Joe Biden on Saturday called the slaying of four Marines and a sailor at a Chattanooga reserve center the act of a "perverted jihadist."
- House, Senate speakers at odds over gas tax increase in 2016 Updated: Aug-13-15 4:28 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - While Gov. Bill Haslam is traveling the state seeking to draw attention to transportation funding needs facing Tennessee, top legislative Republicans are at odds about whether to even consider a gas tax hike in 2016.
- Biden to attend memorial service for shooting victims Updated: Aug-12-15 10:42 am
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Vice President Joe Biden will attend an upcoming ceremony in remembrance of four Marines and a sailor who were killed in attacks at two military facilities in Chattanooga.
- Candidate who didn't even vote wins Democratic nomination Updated: Aug-05-15 4:43 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The 46-year-old truck driver who won the Democratic nomination for Mississippi governor says he spent nothing on his campaign and knows nobody in politics. He didn't even vote in the primary.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: Aug-05-15 12:25 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
- 10 named to panel to review Tenn. K-12 education standards Updated: Aug-04-15 4:04 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam and the speakers of the House and Senate have appointed the 10 members of a committee established to review K-12 education standards in Tennessee.
- Questions, jockeying abound amid Tenn. Supreme Court vacancy Updated: Aug-02-15 11:59 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - When Gary Wade was appointed to the state Supreme Court in 2006, the self-described "mountain boy from the Smokies" planned to serve the eight-year term and retire from his distinguished judicial career.