- Tanzania, long cautious, is caught in Rwanda feud Updated: Mar-09-14 7:10 am
- Kerry: Anti-gay law complicates US-Uganda ties Updated: Feb-28-14 3:22 pm
- Tutu urges Uganda's Museveni against anti-gay bill Updated: Feb-23-14 11:01 am
- Quiet diplomacy faulted for Africa's anti-gay laws Updated: Feb-20-14 6:26 am
- Obama: Anti-gay bill step backward for Ugandans Updated: Feb-16-14 4:43 pm
- Long-time Ugandan leader gets backing for 2016 run Updated: Feb-12-14 7:28 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - The East African nation of Tanzania - long a force of quiet power in the region and a voice of restraint and non-interference in other countries' affairs - is embroiled in a potentially ugly feud with Rwanda and its press after Tanzania's president urged Rwanda's government to negotiate with a Congo-based Rwandan rebel group.
WASHINGTON - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has told Uganda's president that the African nation's new anti-gay law will complicate its relationship with America.
JOHANNESBURG - South Africa's retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu on Sunday made an impassioned plea to Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni not to sign into law a harsh Anti-Homosexuality Bill that calls for a life sentence for some same-sex relations.
DAKAR, Senegal - Last month, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni met in his office with a team of U.S.-based rights activists concerned about legislation that would impose life sentences for some homosexual acts. South African retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu joined them by phone, pointing out similarities between Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill and racist laws enforced under South Africa's former apartheid government.
RANCHO MIRAGE, California - President Barack Obama warned Uganda Sunday over its plans to further criminalize homosexuality, saying it would "complicate our valued relationship."
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's ruling party chose the country's long-serving president to be its unopposed candidate for elections in 2016, eliminating the potential challenge of internal rivals who could threaten the leader's nearly 30-year grip on power.