- Carmichael, GOP nominee twice for Mississippi governor, dies Updated: Feb-01-16 5:26 pm
MERIDIAN, Mississippi - Gil Carmichael, a two-time Republican nominee for Mississippi governor in the 1970s and head of the Federal Railway Commission under President George H.W. Bush, has died. He was 88.
- Bryant's State of the State calls for 'blue-collar' tax cuts Updated: Jan-26-16 8:38 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant called for "blue-collar" tax cuts, public school choice and more spending on the state's troubled foster care system and crumbling highways during his annual State of the State address on Tuesday.
- State school board approves tweaks to academic standards Updated: Jan-21-16 6:22 pm
CLINTON, Mississippi - Mississippi's state Board of Education unanimously adopted a series of minor changes to the state's academic standards Thursday, in what could be a quiet end to a controversy over the Common Core-linked guidance over what students should learn.
- Mississippi governor cuts budgets, dips into rainy day fund Updated: Jan-20-16 8:21 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Republican Gov. Phil Bryant is making 1.5 percent budget cuts for many Mississippi government programs because tax collections are falling short of expectations.
- Bryant names Greenlee, former US attorney, to appeals court Updated: Jan-19-16 9:56 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Gov. Phil Bryant on Tuesday appointed the former U.S. attorney for northern Mississippi, Jim Greenlee, to the state Court of Appeals.
- Powerball renews interest in state lottery Updated: Jan-17-16 7:53 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - State Rep. Robert Johnson says all the money Mississippi residents spent on Powerball tickets could have helped Mississippi if it had been spent there instead of Louisiana. But Mississippi is one of six states that don't run lotteries.
- Mississippi editorial roundup Updated: Jan-13-16 9:33 am
Recent editorials from Mississippi newspapers:
- Mississippi governor pushes school choice at inauguration Updated: Jan-12-16 4:57 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant was inaugurated for a second and final term Tuesday and made his strongest pitch to date for letting parents use tax dollars to send children to schools of the family's choice.
- The Latest: Bryant inaugurated, 2nd term as Mississippi gov Updated: Jan-12-16 12:29 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The latest on the inauguration of Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (all times local):
- Gov. Bryant fuels popularity with blue-collar conservatism Updated: Jan-11-16 4:49 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Phil Bryant was at the front of the room Thursday before the Mississippi Economic Council, relishing being governor again.
- Analysis: Mississippi legislators ease into new 4-year term Updated: Jan-10-16 5:41 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Ambitious new lawmakers who want to zip into the Mississippi Capitol and rapidly change public policy are getting their first tough lesson: Nothing happens quickly at the beginning of a term.