- EU official Tusk: Idea of one European nation is 'illusion' Updated: May-05-16 4:08 pm
ROME - Worried about anti-European Union sentiment fueling nationalism on the continent, a top official said Thursday that the bloc must "stop the radicals" from gaining power by making citizens feel safe amid the migrant crisis.
- The Latest: 78 refugees rescued off Greece in 2 incidents Updated: May-05-16 1:26 pm
ROME - The Latest on Europe's response to the wave of migration from the Middle East and elsewhere (all times local):
- Italy: Don't want to take migrants? Then you pay Updated: May-05-16 7:13 am
ROME - A top aide to Italian Premier Matteo Renzi says Rome supports a proposal by the European Union's executive to fine nations for refusing migrants they were supposed to accept.
- Italian composer Morricone cancels Rome concerts Updated: May-04-16 10:44 am
MILAN - Oscar-winning composer Ennio Morricone has canceled concerts at Rome's Santa Cecilia national academy because of collapsed vertebrae.
- 'King Claudio': Ranieri hailed as a hero at home in Italy Updated: May-03-16 11:25 am
ROME - The Italian premier called it "insane." The country's national sports newspaper called him "King Claudio." Even the Vatican newspaper, l'Osservatore Romano, weighed in with a comparison to King Richard III.
- Chinese police patrol in Italy to make tourists feel safer Updated: May-02-16 1:12 pm
ROME - Chinese policemen are in Italy to start patrols with Italian officers in Rome and Milan in a two-week experiment.
- Scandal-plagued Rome is becoming a 'do it yourself' city Updated: Apr-29-16 10:51 am
ROME - Armed with shovels and sacks of cold asphalt, Rome's residents fill potholes. Defying rats, they yank weeds and bag trash along the Tiber's banks and in urban parks. Tired of waiting years for the city to replace diseased trees, neighbors dig into their own pockets to pay for new ones for their block.
- The Latest: Biden's grand welcome at Italian PM's residence Updated: Apr-29-16 9:24 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Vatican City and Rome (all times local):
- The Latest: Biden leaves Iraq, next stop Rome Updated: Apr-28-16 5:35 pm
BAGHDAD - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Iraq (all times local):
- Prosecutors says IS ordered Italian resident to attack Rome Updated: Apr-28-16 11:43 am
MILAN - Italian police have arrested four suspects in a foreign fighter investigation, including a Moroccan-born man living in Italy who had received Islamic State orders to carry out attacks on Rome during Holy Year, prosecutors said Thursday.
- Pope makes surprise visit to Rome park marking Earth Day Updated: Apr-24-16 2:24 pm
ROME - Pope Francis has made a surprise visit to one of Rome's main parks to participate in an Earth Day event.
- Pope to youth: Happiness can't be downloaded like an app Updated: Apr-24-16 7:44 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has told teenagers happiness can't be downloaded like a cellphone app.
- Mayoral candidate opposes Rome's 2024 Olympics bid Updated: Apr-20-16 11:30 am
ROME - One of the leading candidates for next month's mayoral election has come out against Rome's bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Caroline Wozniacki out of Madrid, Rome with injured ankle Updated: Apr-18-16 6:57 pm
Former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki says she is pulling out of clay-court tournaments in Madrid and Rome because of an injured right ankle, putting her status for the French Open in doubt.
- Italian referendum on oil concessions fails to reach quorum Updated: Apr-17-16 6:50 pm
MILAN - Italian Premier Matteo Renzi says the jobs of oil workers have been preserved by the failure of a referendum that aimed to curtail the duration of existing drilling concessions in territorial waters.
- Pope brings 12 Syrian refugees to Italy in lesson for Europe Updated: Apr-16-16 5:15 pm
MORIA, Greece - In an extraordinary gesture both political and personal, Pope Francis brought 12 Syrian Muslims to Italy aboard his plane Saturday after an emotional visit to the Greek island of Lesbos, which has faced the brunt of Europe's migration crisis.
- Plucked from the uncertainty of Lesbos: 12 Syrian refugees Updated: Apr-16-16 5:11 pm
ROME - Pope Francis says his gesture is "a drop of water in the sea" of Europe's migration crisis. Yet for 12 Syrian refugees, the pope's decision to fly them back to Italy from Greece is an act of kindness that will resonate for the rest of their lives.
- The Latest: Syrians thank pope for bringing them to Italy Updated: Apr-16-16 2:55 pm
MYTILENE, Greece - The Latest on Pope Francis' visit to the Greek island of Lesbos (all times local):
- Italy recalls envoy to Egypt over torture-slaying of student Updated: Apr-08-16 4:04 pm
ROME - Keeping up its press for the "truth" in the torture and slaying of an Italian graduate student in Cairo, the Italian government on Friday announced it was recalling its ambassador from Egypt for urgent consultations after Italian prosecutors expressed disappointment over Egyptian cooperation.
- Girl losing sight to see pope as part of visual bucket list Updated: Apr-05-16 5:27 pm
ROME - A 5-year-old American girl who suffers from a rare genetic disease that is gradually robbing her of her sight may get her wish to see Pope Francis.