- Roanoke house fire that killed 1 caused by propane heater Updated: Nov-27-15 4:16 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - Officials in Roanoke say a fatal house fire has been ruled an accident.
- Language institute opens center at Roanoke College Updated: Nov-24-15 3:01 am
SALEM, Virginia - Roanoke College is expanding opportunities for international students to improve their English language skills.
- Opponent of Japanese-Americans' WWII treatment to be honored Updated: Nov-23-15 5:22 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Relatives of a civil rights attorney being honored posthumously this week with a Presidential Medal of Freedom for challenging the treatment of Japanese Americans during World War II are alarmed by recent opposition to Syrian refugees resettling in the U.S.
- Virginia mayor apologizes for refugee, detention comments Updated: Nov-20-15 3:44 pm
A Virginia mayor apologized Friday for invoking the mass detention of Japanese-Americans during World War II in comments about keeping Syrian refugees out of the region.
- Man receives 15-year sentence in human trafficking case Updated: Nov-18-15 10:05 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - A Franklin County man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison on human trafficking charges involving a woman who was forced into prostitution.
- Report: State should close Catawba Hospital, boost services Updated: Nov-17-15 12:22 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - A state report has recommended that Virginia lawmakers close Roanoke County's Catawba Hospital and another state psychiatric hospital in favor of adding a wing to a newer facility and building a network of community services, especially those that care for people with dementia.
- Virginia college, university students abroad being contacted Updated: Nov-14-15 12:17 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - Virginia university and college officials are reaching out to students spending the semester abroad to ensure their safety following the deadly attacks in Paris.
- Advance Auto Parts misses Street 3Q forecasts, cuts guidance Updated: Nov-12-15 8:36 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - Advance Auto Parts Inc. reported a dip in its third-quarter profit, a disappointing outlook and disclosed CEO Darren R. Jackson will retire in January.
- Mill Mountain Zoo upgrading exhibits, shifting focus Updated: Nov-09-15 2:04 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - Upgraded exhibits and other changes are in the works at Mill Mountain Zoo.
- Distilleries embrace Franklin County's moonshine history Updated: Nov-07-15 9:30 am
ROCKY MOUNT, Virginia - Franklin County has long been known as the moonshine capital of the world. Now, it's taking advantage of that title.
- East Coast cities jockey for Deschutes Brewery facility Updated: Nov-05-15 12:28 pm
BEND, Oregon - News that Deschutes Brewery executives came courting in Roanoke, Virginia, this fall sparked a Facebook campaign aimed at sending much love to the Bend-based brewer, the nation's seventh-largest craft brewer and the 12th largest overall.
- Roanoke River basin drought advisory lifted following rains Updated: Nov-05-15 6:55 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A drought watch advisory for the Roanoke River basin has been lifted following above-normal rainfall.
- The Latest: GOP's Richard Black holds on to senate seat Updated: Nov-03-15 9:14 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The latest on Election Day in Virginia as Democrats try to gain control of the Senate and Republicans battle to retain their slim edge while retaining their majority in the House of Delegates. (All times local)