- Couple pledges $6.5 million to Hollins University Updated: May-05-15 7:28 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - A couple has pledged $6.5 million to Hollins University to fund upgrades at the Dana Science Building and Hollins Theatre.
- Paint Bank hatchery giving trout more breathing room Updated: May-03-15 9:48 am
PAINT BANK, Virginia - Give a fish some oxygen and it will be alive and well for a day.
- Agency to seek proposals for Roanoke-Salem broadband project Updated: Apr-28-15 7:59 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - The Roanoke Valley Broadband Authority plans to seek proposals this week for a project expanding high-speed Internet options in Roanoke and Salem.
- Roanoke vet receives Purple Heart for Korean War wound Updated: Apr-27-15 2:06 am
SALEM, Virginia - An 85-year-old Roanoke veteran has received the Purple Heart six decades after he was wounded during the Korean War.
- 2014 Virginia Press Association advertising awards Updated: Apr-18-15 11:04 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - "The Keys to Richmond," a guidebook produced by Richmond Magazine, was chosen as "best of the best" in the Virginia Press Association's annual advertising contest. The award was presented Saturday in Roanoke.
- 2 honored by press association for sales prowess Updated: Apr-18-15 11:04 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - Advertising representatives from Hermes Publications and The Virginian-Pilot were announced Saturday as winners of the Virginia Press Association's awards for outstanding sales professional and outstanding young sales professional.
- Virginian-Pilot, Daily Progress reporters lauded Updated: Apr-18-15 11:04 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The Virginia Press Association's awards for the state's outstanding journalist and outstanding young journalist of 2014 were presented Saturday night to writers who distinguished themselves in the newsrooms of The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk and The Daily Progress in Charlottesville.
- Free Lance-Star, The Recorder win news integrity awards Updated: Apr-18-15 11:04 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The Free Lance-Star of Fredericksburg and The Recorder of Monterey received the Virginia Press Association's Awards for Journalist Integrity and Community Service Saturday at the association's annual meeting in Roanoke.
- Fredericksburg paper takes VPA Sweepstakes Award Updated: Apr-18-15 11:04 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The Free Lance-Star of Fredericksburg, the Northern Virginia Daily of Strasburg and Style Weekly of Richmond received the sweepstakes awards for news, advertising and general excellence Saturday at the annual meeting of the Virginia Press Association in Roanoke.
- 3 news outlets win 2 best-in-show press awards Updated: Apr-18-15 11:04 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The Washington Post, C-Ville Weekly and Charlottesville Tomorrow each won received two best-in-show awards for entries in the Virginia Press Association's annual competition for writing, photography, artwork and presentation.
- Restored steam engine to return to Roanoke May 30 Updated: Apr-17-15 3:22 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - A restored steam engine locomotive will return to Roanoke next month.
- 3 Lynchburg women charged with student loan fraud Updated: Apr-15-15 4:43 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - Three Lynchburg women are charged with submitting fraudulent student aid applications for Liberty University online classes.
- Coal producer Xinergy, subsidiaries file for bankruptcy Updated: Apr-13-15 9:55 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - Coal producer Xinergy Ltd. and 25 subsidiaries have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, citing declining demand for coal and increased environmental regulation.
- Former Virginia tobacco executive faces tax charges Updated: Apr-07-15 2:06 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The former president of a South Boston tobacco company has been charged with evading taxes, lying on legally required paperwork and using corporate money for personal items.
- Kroger donates 700 tons of food to food banks in 6 states Updated: Apr-07-15 3:16 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - The Kroger Co. says its Mid-Atlantic Division stores donated 700 tons of perishable food to food banks in six states last year.
- More than 200 Sweet Briar students seek transfers to Hollins Updated: Apr-06-15 10:59 am
SWEET BRIAR, Virginia - Hollins University officials are expecting an influx of students from Sweet Briar College.