- Vietnam and the US test their hard-won friendship Updated: Apr-28-15 3:38 am
BANGKOK - After tanks from communist North Vietnam burst through the gates of the Presidential Palace in Saigon 40 years ago Thursday, Washington imposed a punitive economic embargo that kept Hanoi from receiving assistance even from multilateral institutions such as the World Bank.
- Malaysia: ASEAN to avoid confronting China in S. China Sea Updated: Apr-27-15 5:26 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's leader said Monday that Southeast Asian countries will avoid direct confrontation with China but push for a quick conclusion to a binding code of conduct to govern behavior in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.
- Philippines urges ASEAN to stop China in South China Sea Updated: Apr-26-15 6:16 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Philippines on Sunday urged its fellow Southeast Asian countries to take immediate steps to halt land reclamation by China in the disputed waters of the South China Sea, warning that failure to do so will see Beijing take "de facto control" of the area.
- Philippines, China trade accusations over sea threats Updated: Apr-24-15 9:34 pm
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines accused China of aggressive maneuvers against its reconnaissance plane and fishermen in disputed seas where Beijing has stepped up construction of artificial islands, but China reiterated its claim on the strategic waterways.
- Southeast Asian leaders to push for South China Sea code Updated: Apr-24-15 7:16 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Southeast Asian leaders will seek to speed up plans for a binding code of conduct with China governing behavior in the disputed South China Sea at a summit next week, Malaysia's foreign minister said Friday.
- US, Philippines start combat drills amid Chinese reclamation Updated: Apr-20-15 9:37 am
MANILA, Philippines - More than 11,500 American and Filipino military personnel launched one of their largest annual combat exercises Monday amid growing alarm over massive land reclamation by China in disputed South China Sea territories.
- Gray whales' Pacific crossing leads to questions of origin Updated: Apr-16-15 4:53 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A study of the migration of rare western Pacific gray whales has led U.S. and Russian scientists to question whether they're a separate population or simply California gray whales that have expanded their feeding grounds.
- US: Growing China, Russia military activity in Asia-Pacific Updated: Apr-16-15 12:41 am
WASHINGTON - The commander of U.S. forces in the Pacific said Wednesday that major land reclamation by China at outposts in the South China Sea could allow it to exert more influence over the contested area and deploy military assets such as long-range radar and advanced missile systems.
- Carter chides China over approach to territorial disputes Updated: Apr-10-15 6:32 am
SEOUL, South Korea - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter gently chided China on Friday for its approach to territorial disputes in the South China Sea, suggesting Beijing has been isolated by its strong-arm tactics.
- Vietnam officials visit China to mend ties after rig spat Updated: Apr-07-15 2:08 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam sent a high-ranking delegation of Communist Party officials and Cabinet ministers to China on Tuesday as the countries seek to mend relations strained by the giant northern neighbor's deployment of an oil rig last year in disputed waters.