- US intel: China to keep building on artificial islands Updated: Feb-09-16 12:15 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. intelligence chief says he expects China to keep building on artificial islands to sustain its "exorbitant" territorial claims in the disputed South China Sea.
- Top Philippine diplomat and China critic resigns over health Updated: Feb-08-16 8:02 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' top diplomat, who was behind a bold government move to challenge the validity of China's vast territorial claims in the South China Sea at an international tribunal, has resigned due to health reasons, officials said Monday.
- Ambassador: US to continue South China Sea flights, sail-bys Updated: Feb-03-16 4:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - The U.S. ambassador said Wednesday joint patrols with the Philippines are possible in the South China Sea, where the United States has asserted its freedom to navigate by sending planes and ships into China-claimed areas.
- Sovereignty, legacy factors in Taiwan leader's island visit Updated: Jan-28-16 7:55 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Seeking to assert Taiwan's sovereignty and build his legacy, President Ma Ying-jeou paid a visit Thursday to an even smaller island also claimed by China.
- Kerry presses China on North Korea, South China Sea Updated: Jan-26-16 10:17 pm
BEIJING - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called Wednesday for China to do more to rein in North Korea's nuclear activities and decrease tensions over disputed parts of the South China Sea.
- Laos assures US it will help counter Chinese assertiveness Updated: Jan-25-16 9:56 am
VIENTIANE, Laos - The prime minister of communist Laos assured U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday that his small nation will help counter China's assertiveness in the South China Sea.
- Longtime rivals: A look at complex Vietnam-China ties Updated: Jan-24-16 8:03 pm
BEIJING - Divided opinions within Vietnam's Communist Party on how to relate to giant neighbor and one-time ally China are among key factors in play at an eight-day congress to choose new leadership. A look at the countries' shared history and some of the most recent ups and downs in relations.
- Vietnam demands that China remove oil rig Updated: Jan-20-16 6:06 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam said China has moved an oil rig into disputed waters in the South China Sea, in a possible repeat of a 2014 stand-off between the communist neighbors.
- USS John C. Stennis leaves on 7-month deployment Updated: Jan-18-16 8:11 am
BREMERTON, Washington - The USS John C. Stennis aircraft carrier is off on a seven-month deployment in the western Pacific Ocean.