- Lawsuit wants plans mandated for dealing with big oil spills Updated: Oct-08-15 11:52 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - An environmental group is suing the federal government, contending it gives pipeline owners and operators a free pass on developing plans for dealing with oil spills into inland waterways.
- Michigan wine industry may suffer after 2 years of bad crops Updated: Oct-08-15 5:53 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Officials say northern Michigan's wine industry may suffer following two consecutive years of disappointing grape crops.
- Hearing set on planned 9-story buildings in Traverse City Updated: Oct-07-15 5:30 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A public hearing is scheduled for next month about plans for a pair of nine-story buildings in downtown Traverse City that have drawn opposition.
- Correction: Invasive Species-Lawsuit story Updated: Oct-06-15 11:39 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - In a story Oct. 5 about a federal appeals court ordering the government to rewrite regulations on ballast water discharges from ships, The Associated Press erroneously reported the name of an environmental group that challenged the rules. It is the Natural Resources Defense Council, not the National Resources Defense Council.
- Federal government offers $8M to remove Boardman River Dam Updated: Oct-06-15 7:57 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The federal government has offered $8 million to help fund the removal of a dam on the Boardman River in northern Michigan.
- Historic Barns Park benefits from sustainable energy Updated: Sep-30-15 4:01 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Gardeners at Historic Barns Park in Traverse City are using solar power to water fruits, vegetables and flowers.
- Autopsy shows man found in Traverse City river drowned Updated: Sep-29-15 6:23 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - An autopsy has determined that a 43-year-old homeless man who was found dead in a Traverse City river drowned.
- Protections sought for Eastern massasauga rattlesnake Updated: Sep-29-15 2:20 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Federal regulators are proposing to designate the Eastern massasauga rattlesnake as a threatened species.
- 2 islands added to Lake Michigan's Green Bay wildlife refuge Updated: Sep-25-15 4:02 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge is growing significantly with the addition of acreage on two islands in northwestern Lake Michigan.
- Senators want ban on vessel shipments of oil on Great Lakes Updated: Sep-23-15 4:50 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Michigan's U.S. senators are calling for a ban on shipments of crude oil by vessels on the Great Lakes.
- Officials say sea lamprey numbers down across Great Lakes Updated: Sep-23-15 4:11 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Populations of invasive, fish-killing sea lampreys have fallen to their lowest point in decades across the Great Lakes, showing that control measures costing millions of dollars a year are paying off, officials said Wednesday.
- Researchers finish study of Michigan oil, gas fracking Updated: Sep-23-15 11:52 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Michigan's oil and gas industry and its regulators have a long way to go toward convincing the public that hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, is environmentally sound, said the director of a study on the practice released Wednesday.
- More cleanup efforts planned at storm-damaged trail system Updated: Sep-23-15 10:59 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - More cleanup efforts are planned for a trail system in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula that was hit hard by severe thunderstorms last month.
- Agency funds fish habitat projects in southeastern Michigan Updated: Sep-23-15 4:01 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A federal agency has awarded funding for two projects designed to restore severely degraded wildlife habitat in southeastern Michigan.
- Fall tours offered at 3 northern Michigan fish weirs Updated: Sep-22-15 4:01 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is offering fall tours of three facilities where salmon are removed from northern Michigan rivers.
- Authorities: Man, 56, found dead after fire in Traverse City Updated: Sep-21-15 11:17 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Authorities say a 56-year-old man has been found dead following a residential fire in Traverse City.
- Hundreds of Great Lakes beaches targeted for annual cleanup Updated: Sep-19-15 4:01 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Hundreds of beach cleanups will take place in six Great Lakes states this weekend.
- Helm, Verrier collision mars opening day of Red Wings camp Updated: Sep-18-15 5:36 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Red Wings prospect Jerome Verrier broke his leg Friday in a collision with veteran Darren Helm that left the team shaken as it opened training camp under new a new coach.
- Couple donates $2M for northern Michigan museum's expansion Updated: Sep-15-15 1:09 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A northern Michigan couple is donating $2 million toward the renovation of Northwestern Michigan College's Dennos Museum.
- New Munson cancer center taking shape in Traverse City Updated: Sep-14-15 7:54 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Patients will begin receiving treatment in Munson Medical Center's new Cowell Family Cancer Center in February.
- Court orders trial over 2007 standoff near Traverse City Updated: Sep-11-15 11:48 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - An appeals court says a jury will decide whether Grand Traverse County officers violated the rights of a man who was killed during a standoff in 2007.
- In Michigan, neighborhood replaces stately mental hospital Updated: Sep-08-15 11:41 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - In a resort community known primarily for dazzling Lake Michigan vistas and cherry orchards spread across green hillsides, a new attraction is taking shape in an unlikely setting.