- Ex-tribe chairman gets 25 years in prison for sex crimes Updated: May-02-16 8:33 pm
SUTTONS BAY, Michigan - A former chairman of a northern Michigan Indian tribe has been sentenced to at least 25 years in prison for first-degree criminal sexual conduct against a girl in the Traverse City area.
- Winery near Traverse City paying for trees in state parks Updated: Apr-28-16 9:12 pm
OLD MISSION PENINSULA, Michigan - A winery near Traverse City is donating $10,000 to plant nearly 200 trees in Michigan state parks.
- Survey suggests slight drop in Michigan wolf population Updated: Apr-28-16 2:58 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The gray wolf population in Michigan's Upper Peninsula appears to have declined slightly in recent years, but state biologists say it's stable and healthy.
- Feds update strategy to keep Asian carp from Great Lakes Updated: Apr-26-16 3:09 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Federal agencies plan to spend $57.3 million this year on preventing invasive Asian carp from reaching the Great Lakes, where scientists say they could disrupt food chains and out-compete native fish.
- Police: Man found at library gets ban, trespassing warning Updated: Apr-26-16 2:19 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Police say a man found at a Traverse City library has been given a trespassing warning and is banned from the library for the next six months.
- No cause for alarm after bones found; they're from a turkey Updated: Apr-21-16 9:38 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Police say there's no cause for alarm after an excavating crew unearthed bones while digging for a construction project at a home in downtown Traverse City.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: Apr-18-16 10:01 am
Traverse City Record-Eagle. April 17, 2016
- Traverse City won't appeal ruling on 9-story buildings Updated: Apr-14-16 3:15 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The City Commission of Traverse City won't appeal a judge's ruling regarding a permit to allow construction of two nine-story buildings.
- Traverse City warning 130 property owners about lead pipes Updated: Apr-12-16 8:50 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Officials say about 130 Traverse City property owners will soon receive letters warning them that their drinking water flows through short sections of lead pipe.
- Cleanup taking place after fire ravages auto parts business Updated: Apr-12-16 6:37 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Employees who usually help salvage car parts are pulling together to rebuild after a fire ravaged a business in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula.
- Proposal would make code violations civil infractions Updated: Apr-10-16 2:26 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A northern Michigan prosecutor is asking the county board of commissioners to adopt an ordinance that would designate construction code violations as municipal civil infractions instead of misdemeanors.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes getting 2013 ArtPrize-winning quilt Updated: Apr-08-16 10:11 am
EMPIRE, Michigan - A quilt inspired by Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore that won the 2013 ArtPrize competition is going on permanent display at the northern Michigan park's visitor center.
- Nonprofit extends season for shelter amid cold weather Updated: Apr-08-16 2:39 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - An emergency homeless shelter operated by the nonprofit Safe Harbor of Grand Traverse will stay open for another week.
- City of Jackson will check if there's Texas tea below ground Updated: Apr-07-16 3:32 pm
JACKSON, Michigan - Could Jackson be sitting on a gusher?
- Officials say hungry bears on prowl as winter sleep ends Updated: Apr-06-16 9:07 pm
GRAWN, Michigan - A black bear that was relocated from a northern Michigan home this week is among many that are on the move as they emerge from winter dens.
- Plans move forward for new Traverse City homeless shelter Updated: Apr-05-16 5:24 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Plans are moving forward to convert a dilapidated warehouse in Traverse City into an emergency homeless shelter.
- Efforts seek to curb spread of oak wilt in northern Michigan Updated: Apr-04-16 10:04 am
SUTTONS BAY, Michigan - Efforts are taking place to curb the spread of oak wilt in northern Michigan.