- Piper the border collie temporarily off bird-chasing duties Updated: Nov-25-15 7:06 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Piper might be down, but he's not out.
- Scientists call for continuing Great Lakes wolf protections Updated: Nov-24-15 1:23 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Gray wolves in the western Great Lakes region should not yet be removed from the federal endangered species list, a group of scientists and scholars said Tuesday, disagreeing with colleagues who said the population has rebounded sufficiently.
- Storm-damaged spruce serves as Traverse City Christmas tree Updated: Nov-24-15 5:28 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A blue spruce that was damaged as storms packing high winds swept through Michigan in August is serving as the annual Christmas tree for downtown Traverse City.
- Chickenpox outbreak keeps over 35 students out of school Updated: Nov-23-15 3:45 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - More than 35 unimmunized students at two Traverse City elementary schools will be kept out of the classroom for three weeks after a chickenpox outbreak.
- Health care providers get grants for rural 'telemedicine' Updated: Nov-21-15 4:01 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Three rural health care providers in Michigan will receive federal grants for equipment and technology to reach people without easy access to doctors or hospitals.
- Great Lakes levels expected to stay mostly above average Updated: Nov-19-15 6:46 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Water levels in the Great Lakes should remain mostly above average over the next six months as a powerful El Nino gives the region a break after two bitterly cold winters, but it's unclear whether there will be longer-term effects, federal scientists said Thursday.
- Traverse City OKs splash pad fixes after sewage problem Updated: Nov-17-15 5:23 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Traverse City has approved spending $500,000 for repairs at Clinch Park, including $165,000 to fix a splash pad that rained sewage-contaminated water on children.
- Hunters head for woods, fields as firearm season begins Updated: Nov-15-15 4:19 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Hunters have streamed to Michigan's forests and fields for the start of firearm deer season.
- River restoration project marks decade, with 3 dams to go Updated: Nov-12-15 12:20 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Nate Winkler waded knee-deep into the clear, rippling Boardman River, thermometer and worn leather notebook in hand.
- Cleanup work continues at Sleeping Bear after August storms Updated: Nov-11-15 11:46 am
EMPIRE, Michigan - Cleanup work is continuing at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore following damaging August storms.
- Casperson announces run for Congress in northern Michigan Updated: Nov-09-15 5:27 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Republican state Sen. Tom Casperson announced Monday that he's running to succeed retiring U.S. Rep. Dan Benishek in Michigan's 1st Congressional District, a competitive seat that the GOP is hoping to retain in 2016.
- Patients lose civil trial related to '12 meningitis outbreak Updated: Nov-07-15 11:44 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A jury says doctors at a northern Michigan clinic weren't negligent in using tainted steroids that were part of a national meningitis outbreak.
- Ex-tribal council member convicted of sex crimes Updated: Nov-06-15 6:24 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A former member of a northern Michigan Indian tribe's council has been convicted of criminal sexual conduct charges involving a girl.
- Meijer store opens near Traverse City after zoning dispute Updated: Nov-06-15 6:13 pm
ACME TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A new Meijer Inc. store has opened in a Traverse City-area community where the retailer funded a recall campaign in a zoning dispute several years ago.
- Members of Congress want faster action to stop Asian carp Updated: Nov-04-15 6:29 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Members of Congress are prodding federal officials to work faster on technological roadblocks that would prevent Asian carp from reaching the Great Lakes through Chicago-area waterways.
- Plans move forward for 9-story buildings in Traverse City Updated: Nov-04-15 9:14 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Plans for a pair of nine-story buildings in downtown Traverse City that have drawn opposition are moving forward after getting the OK from planning commissioners.
- Traverse City commissioners agree to sell coal dock land Updated: Nov-03-15 5:29 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Traverse City commissioners have agreed to sell waterfront coal dock properties to Rotary Charities for $1 million as part of a redevelopment plan with an educational focus.
- Experts urge cautious approach on Great Lakes fish farming Updated: Oct-30-15 1:15 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - If Michigan allows commercial fish farming in the Great Lakes, the industry should begin on a small and experimental scale to enable careful monitoring of the effect on the environment and wild fish populations, scientists said in a report to state officials.
- Great Lakes conference draws over 400 to Traverse City Updated: Oct-30-15 5:49 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - More than 400 people are gathering in Traverse City to discuss local and regional issues facing the Great Lakes, including beach litter.
- Old Town Playhouse in Traverse City gets renovations Updated: Oct-30-15 4:11 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Jeanette Mason took in a newly renovated Old Town Playhouse auditorium and marveled at the transformation.
- Costco moving forward with plans for Traverse City location Updated: Oct-29-15 1:51 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Costco is one step closer to establishing its first location in northern Michigan with a membership-only warehouse club in Traverse City.
- Authorities stop prison drug smuggling attempt under stamps Updated: Oct-28-15 10:19 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Authorities say they stopped an attempt to smuggle a prescription drug into a state prison in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula that was hidden behind postage stamps.
- Fees increasing at Sleeping Bear Dunes near Traverse City Updated: Oct-28-15 7:35 am
EMPIRE, Michigan - Entrance and camping fees are increasing next year at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore near Traverse City to help fund maintenance and upgrades.
- Tribe moving forward with West Grand Traverse Bay marina Updated: Oct-28-15 2:14 am
SUTTONS BAY, Michigan - A tribe's plan to build a marina on West Grand Traverse Bay will continue without the ferry dock portion of the project.
- Company launches system to serve wine by the glass Updated: Oct-27-15 11:27 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - No one wants to waste a drop of good wine.