- Water utility: nitrate removal has cost $1.5M since December Updated: Jul-27-15 12:59 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The water utility serving 500,000 customers in central Iowa says it has spent more than $1.5 million since December to remove nitrate from the water to keep it within safe drinking limits.
- Poultry industry, government meet in Iowa on bird flu Updated: Jul-26-15 12:17 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A bird flu that resulted in the deaths of 48 million chickens and turkeys has finally waned, but industry officials and government researchers will gather this week in Des Moines to discuss next steps if the virus returns this fall or next spring.
- Democrats woo activists in key Des Moines neighborhood Updated: Jul-25-15 2:53 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Four years ago, the Beaverdale neighborhood in Des Moines organized big for President Barack Obama's re-election, building an uber-volunteer group skilled at phone-banking, door-knocking and boosting caucus and general election participation. The volunteers dubbed their leafy neighborhood Obamadale.
- Des Moines schools lawyer says lawsuit deal almost done Updated: Jul-24-15 1:01 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Des Moines Public Schools lawyer says the district and a former superintendent have agreed to settle her invasion-of-privacy lawsuit.
- Truck hauling mail catches fire near Des Moines suburb Updated: Jul-24-15 7:52 am
ANKENY, Iowa - Letters and packages went up in smoke when a truck hauling U.S. mail caught fire near the Des Moines suburb of Ankeny.
- Iowa court says alcohol OK in cars on private property Updated: Jul-23-15 2:11 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An Iowa court says people can drink alcohol in their cars as long as they're parked on private property.
- Des Moines police arrest man suspected in road rage incident Updated: Jul-23-15 6:38 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Des Moines authorities say a man suspected of firing gunshots during a road rage incident has been arrested.
- Des Moines woman arrested after dog bites man in leg Updated: Jul-23-15 5:55 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Des Moines woman has been arrested after police say her dog bit a man.
- Branstad requests presidential disaster declaration Updated: Jul-22-15 5:09 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad is asking President Barack Obama to issue a presidential disaster declaration for 19 Iowa counties to aid recovery from damaging storms in June.
- Armed Army veteran says he's protecting recruiting office Updated: Jul-21-15 7:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An armed Army veteran says he's doing what he can to protect a military recruiting center in Des Moines.
- Business group hopes to broker water agreement Updated: Jul-21-15 4:11 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Des Moines business group says it wants to find a solution to a water quality dispute that has prompted the city's water utility to sue three rural counties.
- Iowa progressive group to host Democratic gathering Updated: Jul-21-15 12:40 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Democrats missing the Harkin Steak Fry can gather at a new progressive event next month.
- Clive Democrat announces for 3rd Congressional District seat Updated: Jul-21-15 7:41 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Clive resident has become the first Democrat to announce that he'll try to unseat incumbent Republican David Young in Iowa's 3rd Congressional District.
- Ex-lottery worker convicted of rigging system to win $14M Updated: Jul-20-15 2:26 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A former lottery security official was found guilty Monday of rigging a computerized Hot Lotto game so he could win a $14 million jackpot then trying to get acquaintances to cash the prize for him without revealing his identity.
- Thief used Iowa man's handsaw to threaten him, police say Updated: Jul-20-15 10:14 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Authorities say a thief used a man's handsaw to menace him outside his garage in Des Moines.
- Trial set for Des Moines man accused of killing neighbor Updated: Jul-20-15 8:55 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A September trial has been scheduled for a Des Moines man accused of fatally shooting his neighbor.
- Des Moines police say 1 arrested following shooting Updated: Jul-18-15 11:32 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Des Moines police say officers have arrested a man in connection with a shooting downtown just blocks west of the Des Moines River.
- New director wants to move law enforcement academy forward Updated: Jul-18-15 10:30 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Judy Bradshaw prefers not to dwell on the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy's troubled past.
- College offers applicants choice on giving ACT, SAT score Updated: Jul-17-15 3:05 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Des Moines private university is offering potential students other options if they don't want to submit their SAT or ACT test results with their application packet.
- Former youth coach sentenced to prison for child porn Updated: Jul-17-15 8:58 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A man who had spent years a volunteer youth sports coach in West Des Moines has been sentenced to eight years in federal prison for having more than 100 images of child pornography.
- Siblings testify, defense rests in Iowa man's lottery trial Updated: Jul-16-15 8:46 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Three siblings of a former lottery worker accused of rigging a Hot Lotto game testified on his behalf Thursday before his defense rested its case.
- Documents: More than $100K spent on medical cannabis cards Updated: Jul-16-15 5:42 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa's medical cannabis oil program has cost the state more than $100,000 to create and issue registration cards to about 50 people, even as the effort has faced criticism that it's cumbersome and largely useless.
- Correction: Iowa Pipeline story Updated: Jul-15-15 6:10 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - In a story July 9 about a proposed pipeline across Iowa, The Associated Press reported erroneously the description of voluntary easement agreements that Dakota Access says it has secured. The company says it has voluntary easement agreements for 60 percent of property along the proposed pipeline route, not easement agreements with 60 percent of landowners.
- Arrest made in June shooting of Des Moines teenager Updated: Jul-15-15 1:26 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Police have made an arrest in the shooting death of a teen last month in a Des Moines home.
- Lawsuit filed against Branstad over mental health centers Updated: Jul-13-15 4:56 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad should reopen two former state-run mental health centers to comply with Iowa law, according to a lawsuit announced Monday by the head of the state's largest public employees union and 20 Democratic lawmakers.