- Some Republicans announce support for medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-09-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Some Republican House lawmakers announced their support Tuesday for new legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of backing the bill will get from party leaders.
- Police identify man found dead in Des Moines home fire Updated: Feb-09-16 3:39 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Police have identified the man who was found inside a fire-damaged Des Moines home after he resisted officers' rescue attempts.
- State district judge confirmed to Iowa federal court Updated: Feb-09-16 2:35 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Polk County district court judge has been approved to serve as a judge in one of Iowa's federal courts.
- Event about skilled labor in Iowa scheduled for April Updated: Feb-08-16 1:27 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An event in Des Moines about increasing skilled labor in Iowa has been scheduled for April.
- Documents show Iowa has backlog of criminal appeal cases Updated: Feb-07-16 12:52 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa attorney general's office has gained approval to temporarily hire lawyers to deal with a backlog of criminal appeal cases that have piled up since an Iowa Supreme Court rule change in 2012.
- Des Moines police to install cameras in troubled area Updated: Feb-06-16 4:43 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Des Moines police say they will install nine security cameras in a downtown bar and restaurant district following a November shooting that left one man dead and another hospitalized.
- Police seek suspect in Des Moines stabbing, robbery Updated: Feb-06-16 12:45 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Des Moines police are still searching for a suspect in the stabbing of a man during a robbery.
- Iowa couple have baby on their shared birthday Updated: Feb-06-16 5:05 am
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - An Iowa couple who have the same birthday just had their first baby - on their shared birthday.
- Association honors work by Iowa newspapers Updated: Feb-05-16 10:01 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Des Moines Register was named Friday as the Iowa Newspaper Association 2016 "Newspaper of the Year."
- Iowa APME contest winners Updated: Feb-05-16 6:17 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa APME Newswriting and Photo Contest Winners:
- Des Moines teacher accused of exposing himself at mall Updated: Feb-05-16 8:57 am
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - Authorities say a high school teacher was arrested and charged with public exposure after an incident at a West Des Moines mall.
- Polk County commits to loan nearly $30M for convention hotel Updated: Feb-04-16 5:29 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Polk County's board of supervisors has agreed to loan nearly $30 million in additional financing to build a convention hotel attached to the Iowa Events Center in downtown Des Moines.
- Bill to legalize fireworks in Iowa advances with challenges Updated: Feb-03-16 8:20 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Legislation that would legalize the sale of fireworks in Iowa advanced Wednesday through parts of the Iowa Legislature, though it may face some challenges from lawmakers.
- First lawsuit in state lottery-fixing scandal seeks millions Updated: Feb-03-16 6:26 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - It was one of those dreams-come-true moments that lotteries love to promote when "Lucky Larry" Dawson smiled as he claimed a $9 million jackpot, surrounded by his kids and grandkids. Five years later, the Iowa man has become the first plaintiff in litigation that threatens to cost state lotteries millions of dollars following an insider jackpot-rigging scandal.
- Tornadoes in the South; snow in Plains and Upper Midwest Updated: Feb-03-16 2:33 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Tornadoes touched down in Mississippi and Alabama as thunderstorms swept through the area Tuesday, while a powerful snowstorm buried parts of Colorado and Nebraska in more than a foot of snow before crawling into the Upper Midwest.
- Pedestrian killed in West Des Moines accident, police say Updated: Feb-02-16 10:26 am
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - Authorities say a pedestrian has been killed crossing a street in West Des Moines.
- Cruz wins in Iowa's Republican caucuses Updated: Feb-02-16 12:32 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Ted Cruz, the self-proclaimed outsider and tea party champion, was warmly embraced by conservative Iowa Republicans, whose historic turnout sealed his victory in the Iowa caucuses Monday.
- Clinton, Sanders locked in extremely tight duel for Iowa Updated: Feb-02-16 12:29 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders were locked in an extremely tight duel in Iowa's leadoff presidential caucuses Monday as the two rivals offered Americans a stark choice between political pragmatism and revolution.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
The Des Moines Register. Jan. 28, 2016
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Man charged with seed corn theft conspiracy pleads guilty Updated: Jan-27-16 8:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A naturalized U.S. citizen from China entered a plea agreement with federal prosecutors Wednesday, admitting he participated in a conspiracy to steal seed corn from U.S. companies.
- Iowa could see snow, likely after Monday night's caucuses Updated: Jan-27-16 12:14 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Snow appears headed toward Iowa early next week, but people gathering for the presidential caucuses likely won't be hindered as the wintry weather is expected to hit following the event.
- Head of Iowa National Guard: More positions open to women Updated: Jan-27-16 11:38 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The head of the Iowa National Guard says nearly 1,700 positions have been opened up to women this year following a federal policy change.
- Official: $80M renovation of Iowa history museum cuts space Updated: Jan-26-16 8:54 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Officials for the department that oversees Iowa's flagship history museum on Tuesday released details on a nearly $80 million renovation plan for the building, which includes a cut to total square footage but repurposed space for storing artifacts.
- Bus crashes into Des Moines home Updated: Jan-25-16 7:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A bus crashed into a Des Moines home during an afternoon snowstorm that swept through the area.