- Students get bottled water after school water shows bacteria Updated: May-04-16 6:48 am
AMES, Iowa - Students at an Ames elementary school have been given bottled water since the school's water showed bacterial contamination.
- Iowa sewage treatment plant spends $19M to remove phosphorus Updated: May-03-16 1:19 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa's largest sewage treatment plant is spending $19 million on equipment that will decrease the amount of a harmful contaminant often found in the state's waterways.
- Branstad, Democrats criticize each other on water quality Updated: May-02-16 12:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad and Democratic lawmakers are blaming each other for failing to pass legislation on water quality initiatives.
- Man charged with vehicular homicide in Polk County crash Updated: May-02-16 6:47 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A 31-year-old pickup driver has been charged with vehicular homicide in the crash death of a woman in Polk County.
- Iowa drunken driving deaths up but license revocations fall Updated: May-01-16 6:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The number of drunken driving deaths on Iowa roads has increased, but driver's license revocations are down.
- Iowa lawmakers put aside philosophical differences on budget Updated: May-01-16 11:14 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - To adjourn the legislative session, Iowa lawmakers had to settle disagreements over Planned Parenthood and state employee salaries that didn't amount to much money but represented deep philosophical differences between the two parties.
- Competition heats up among Des Moines specialty grocers Updated: Apr-30-16 4:03 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Three new specialty food stores have opened in the Des Moines area since last fall, joining an already competitive grocery market and a string of established grocers in Iowa that sell ethnic, gourmet and health-conscious food.
- Police charge 15-year-old in death of Des Moines teen Updated: Apr-29-16 7:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Des Moines police have arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection to the fatal shooting of another teenager.
- Des Moines Water works switches on nitrate removal system Updated: Apr-28-16 6:24 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The water utility serving a half a million customers in central Iowa including the city of Des Moines says it has switched on its nitrate removal system.
- Texas man in Iowa to face lottery jackpot fraud charges Updated: Apr-28-16 5:24 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Texas man accused of helping a lottery computer manager in Iowa collect jackpots from rigged lottery games gave up a yearlong extradition fight on Thursday and traveled to Iowa to face charges.
- 17-year-old fatally shot, Des Moines police say Updated: Apr-28-16 11:44 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Authorities have identified the 17-year-old boy who was killed by gunfire in Des Moines.
- Iowa lawmakers OK bill with no money for repairing buildings Updated: Apr-27-16 6:58 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An infrastructure bill passed Wednesday in the Iowa Legislature does not include designated funding for three state buildings with serious maintenance issues, and lawmakers involved in crafting the legislation say building maintenance needs to be prioritized.
- Wrong-way driver was drunk during Iowa crash that killed 4 Updated: Apr-27-16 3:33 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A 25-year-old man was very drunk and traveling at more than 100 mph when he drove the wrong way on a busy interstate last month and collided head-on with a Des Moines police car, killing himself, two officers and a prisoner they were transporting, investigators revealed Wednesday.
- I-35 lane reopens near Ames after roadbed undermined Updated: Apr-27-16 12:25 pm
AMES, Iowa - One southbound lane of Interstate 35 has reopened after officials had to close the roadway near Ames due to a dip in the pavement.
- Drake's student senate won't recognize conservative group Updated: Apr-27-16 10:36 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Drake University student senate has refused to recognize a conservative group's chapter as a student organization.
- Iowa House OKs bill on changes to Des Moines water utility Updated: Apr-26-16 2:36 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Lawmakers in the Republican-controlled House have passed a budget bill that could change decision-making within a Des Moines utility that sued three Iowa counties over polluted water.
- Des Moines Water Works lawsuit trial delayed from August Updated: Apr-26-16 12:59 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The lawsuit filed by the Des Moines Water Works against several upstream agriculture drainage districts will not go to trial in August.
- Iowa National Guard unit mobilized for Afghanistan mission Updated: Apr-26-16 6:50 am
JOHNSTON, Iowa - The Iowa Army National Guard says it's mobilizing a Johnston-based supply outfit for an Afghanistan support mission.
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Updated: Apr-25-16 2:38 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa State recruit Emmanuel Malou has filed the paperwork necessary to enter the NBA draft but has not hired an agent, preserving his college eligibility.
- Dam-free rivers in Des Moines could improve water recreation Updated: Apr-25-16 2:04 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A group of outdoor enthusiasts in Des Moines is creating a water trails plan to improve water recreation in the metro area.
- Federal trial slated for Ron Paul 2012 campaign advisers Updated: Apr-25-16 11:29 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Three top campaign advisers to 2012 presidential candidate Ron Paul who are scheduled to go on trial this week have lost their fight to get charges of conspiracy to cover up campaign payments to a former state senator dismissed.
- Rescue pup Vincent crowned 'Beautiful Bulldog' in Iowa Updated: Apr-24-16 7:35 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The owners of Vincent, a rescued 60-pound English bulldog, aren't quite sure how old he is.
- Mental health providers say Iowa needs more prescribers Updated: Apr-24-16 9:05 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A bill pending in the Iowa House would allow specially trained psychologists to prescribe medication to mentally ill people in hopes of alleviating a shortage of treatment options, but the proposal has run into opposition from some of the state's psychiatrists.
- Crash kills 1, closes down part of Des Moines interstate Updated: Apr-23-16 3:05 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Police say a Des Moines crash involving more than two vehicles has left one person dead and briefly closed down lanes of a busy interstate.
- Iowa looks to Minnesota for medical marijuana Updated: Apr-22-16 3:25 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Iowa and Minnesota lawmakers are exploring a system to allow Iowa residents to buy medical marijuana oil from their northern neighbor, lawmakers from both states have told The Associated Press.