- The Latest: Former Mayor Buddy Cianci laid to rest Updated: Feb-08-16 4:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking politician who led the city of Providence during a turbulent and troubled six terms as mayor, being laid to rest (all times local):
- Providence says goodbye to colorful ex-Mayor Buddy Cianci Updated: Feb-08-16 3:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence said goodbye on Monday to former Mayor Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking king of one-liners who led the city during a turbulent and troubled six terms.
- Rhode Island lawmakers to propose legalizing marijuana Updated: Feb-07-16 1:01 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A bill to legalize and tax recreational marijuana in Rhode Island is returning to the state's General Assembly after failing to pass in previous years.
- Bentil plays, but No. 11 Friars can't catch No. 3 Wildcats Updated: Feb-06-16 7:27 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Ben Bentil played for Providence despite an injured ankle, scoring 18 of his 20 points in the second half against No. 3 Villanova.
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win Updated: Feb-06-16 6:48 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Villanova was overpowered on both ends of the floor in its overtime loss at home to Providence last month, the first vulnerability shown by a team that was unbeaten in Big East play.
- 12 bus routes detoured for Buddy Cianci funeral Updated: Feb-05-16 12:54 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Twelve bus routes will be detoured and bus stops relocated to accommodate the funeral procession for former Providence Mayor Buddy Cianci.
- Storm expected to bring heavy snow during morning commute Updated: Feb-04-16 7:44 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A winter storm is expected to bring heavy snow to Rhode Island overnight and make for a messy morning commute.
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Updated: Feb-04-16 5:22 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - You'll have to pardon Providence coach Ed Cooley if he doesn't seemed too panicked about having his top player on the training table days before the 11th-ranked Friars' biggest home game of the season.
- 13 men arrested in Cranston prostitution sting of 'Johns' Updated: Feb-04-16 3:08 pm
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - Thirteen men have been arrested in Cranston in a prostitution sting that targeted "Johns" who responded to ads for an escort.
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Updated: Feb-04-16 2:18 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence coach Ed Cooley says forward Ben Bentil is day-to-day after sustaining a right ankle injury.
- Providence College students allege off-campus hate crime Updated: Feb-04-16 8:51 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Five Providence College students are demanding action from the school after saying they were victims of an off-campus hate crime.
- Man convicted of fatally shooting cop denied new trial Updated: Feb-04-16 7:13 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A man who was convicted of killing a Providence police detective and stabbing a woman in 2005 has lost his bid for a new trial.
- Providence mayor to make staff changes in school department Updated: Feb-03-16 4:09 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The mayor of Providence has announced an overhaul of the Providence School Department about nine months after an independent audit recommended staffing changes.
- Board closes Providence bar after patron allegedly assaulted Updated: Feb-02-16 4:32 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence bar will remain closed for the next few days after a violent incident involving shots fired happened there over the weekend.
- Contractor wants state to pay for I-195 bridge repairs Updated: Feb-01-16 3:08 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The contractor responsible for building the Interstate 195 bridge over the Providence River is asking the state to pay for repairs to the structure's guardrail.
- Correction: Raimondo-State of the State story Updated: Feb-01-16 11:21 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - In a story Jan. 31 about Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo, The Associated Press reported erroneously that she narrowly won the 2014 primary and general election to become governor. In the Democratic primary, she won 42.1 percent over the second-place finisher's 29.1 percent in a three-way race. In the general election, she won 40.7 percent over the second-place finisher's 36.2 percent in another three-way race.
- Buddy Cianci, dominant in Rhode Island politics, dies at 74 Updated: Jan-29-16 12:47 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Former Mayor Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking political rogue who presided over the revitalization of Providence during two stints in office cut short by criminal charges and a prison sentence for corruption, died Thursday. He was 74.
- Man subdued with stun gun after verdict gets prison time Updated: Jan-28-16 4:14 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A 25-year-old Providence man who deputy sheriffs subdued with a stun gun after he became violent when jurors convicted him in October will serve 20 years behind bars.
- North Providence mayor criticizes DPW absentees during storm Updated: Jan-28-16 4:07 am
NORTH PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The mayor of North Providence spoke out against Department of Public Works employees who didn't show up to help plow streets during the town's weekend snow removal efforts.
- Project aims to mark dozens of American slave trade ports Updated: Jan-28-16 12:54 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A project aimed at memorializing America's slave-trade ports is moving to Rhode Island, where some 1,000 slave-trading voyages were launched.
- Man dubbed 'Bordeaux Bandit' sent to prison for Wii theft Updated: Jan-27-16 2:05 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The man who authorities dubbed the "Bordeaux Bandit" for allegedly stealing expensive bottles of wine around the Northeast was sentenced to prison in Rhode Island on Wednesday for stealing video game equipment.
- Advocacy group claims Providence officers target homeless Updated: Jan-27-16 4:19 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - An advocacy group has released a survey that they say shows that police officers target homeless people gathered at Providence's Kennedy Plaza for the enforcement of minor offenses.
- Big 2nd half lifts No. 7 Xavier over No. 10 Providence 75-68 Updated: Jan-27-16 12:01 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - It's been a long time since Xavier was able to earn a Top 10 victory away from home.
- Brown to open entrepreneurship center with $25M gift Updated: Jan-26-16 12:40 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Brown University says it will create a center for entrepreneurship with a $25 million gift it has received from a 1977 graduate who founded a private equity firm.
- Credits, grants approved for construction and research in RI Updated: Jan-26-16 11:39 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Gov. Gina Raimondo and the Rhode Island Commerce Corporation have approved agreements for more than $9 million in tax credits and grants to spur new construction and support research and development.