- FIFA candidates Prince Ali, Infantino claim votes in Africa Updated: Feb-06-16 1:42 pm
GENEVA - Two soccer federations have defied the Confederation of African Football's leadership to endorse FIFA presidential candidates on Saturday.
- Donors face record request of $9 billion to aid Syrians Updated: Feb-03-16 7:05 am
AMMAN, Jordan - International aid to the victims of Syria's five-year war, including millions forced to flee their homes, has persistently fallen short, but organizers of Thursday's annual Syria pledging conference hope for greater generosity this time around, despite a record request of close to $9 billion for 2016.
- Cheap loans proposed to ease aid gap in Syria refugee crisis Updated: Jan-25-16 2:29 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Faced with a chronic shortfall in Syria aid, the World Bank and other donors are promoting new ideas, including interest-free development loans for the hard-hit Middle Eastern countries that are hosting most refugees.
- Jordan says troops kill 12 suspected infiltrators from Syria Updated: Jan-23-16 2:58 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The military says Jordanian border guards opened fire on three dozen suspected infiltrators from Syria, killing 12 and wounding several others.
- UN General Assembly chief 'optimistic' about Syria talks Updated: Jan-20-16 12:55 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The president of the U.N. General Assembly said Wednesday that he is "cautiously optimistic" about negotiations on a Syria peace deal because the main powers with a stake in the conflict share the goal of defeating Islamic State extremists.
- German think tank pulling out of Egypt over restrictions Updated: Jan-20-16 6:59 am
BERLIN - A well-known German think tank says it is moving its Mideast operations out of Egypt, maintaining that ever-stricter government restrictions have made it impossible to carry out its work.
- World Health Organization hopes to eradicate polio in 2016 Updated: Jan-17-16 1:12 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - An official says the World Health Organization hopes to eradicate polio in 2016, after containing outbreaks in conflict-ridden Syria, Iraq and Somalia by immunizing millions of children over two years.
- Syrian artist, war refugee draws portraits of Paris victims Updated: Jan-13-16 2:44 am
AMMAN, Jordan - When Syrian war refugee Lina Mahameed saw TV reports of the recent Paris attacks, she recognized her own story reflected in the brutality.