- Kansas judge's challenge to policy change has court hearing Updated: Aug-28-15 5:07 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas court is having a hearing in a judge's lawsuit against an administrative policy imposed upon the state's judiciary by legislators.
- Advocacy group's CEO sees new issues with Kansas welfare law Updated: Aug-27-15 8:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Parts of Kansas' new welfare law appear to conflict with federal rules for state child care programs, potentially jeopardizing more than $40 million a year in federal funds, an advocacy group's leader said Thursday.
- Kansas governor schedules town hall meeting on Guantanamo Updated: Aug-27-15 5:06 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback plans to hold a town hall meeting next week to discuss concerns about the potential transfer of prisoners from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to Fort Leavenworth.
- Kansas judge allows suit over citizenship rule to continue Updated: Aug-26-15 5:07 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas judge is allowing two voters to continue pursuing a lawsuit challenging how Secretary of State Kris Kobach is enforcing a proof of citizenship requirement for registering.
- Kansas ACT scores above national average but change little Updated: Aug-26-15 12:54 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas high school students are scoring better on average than their peers nationally on the ACT college entrance exam and a higher percentage appear ready for college courses, though figures released Wednesday show their average scores haven't changed much in recent years.
- KCC workers opting to leave civil service for pay raises Updated: Aug-26-15 10:50 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Corporation Commission said 81 percent of its classified workers have chosen to leave the state's civil service system in exchange for a pay raise.
- Roth names administrative law judge with labor department Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A magistrate judge has been named to the position of Kansas Department of Labor administrative law judge.
- Kansas regulator endorses Westar's $78M hike Updated: Aug-25-15 3:58 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Corporation Commission has agreed to endorse Westar Energy's $78 million increase in annual electric rates.
- Shawnee County considers releasing cremains to family Updated: Aug-25-15 3:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Shawnee County leaders are weighing if they should release the ashes of people the county paid to cremate to their families.
- Topeka man gets 7 years in prison for child pornography Updated: Aug-25-15 2:31 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Topeka man has been sentenced to seven years in prison for child pornography.
- Panel approves lower aid amounts for Kansas schools Updated: Aug-24-15 6:20 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A state panel on Monday allotted less than half the emergency aid several Kansas school districts had requested.
- Man sentenced to 13 years for shooting clerk in Topeka Updated: Aug-24-15 1:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A 41-year-old Topeka man has been sentenced to 13 years in federal prison for robbing a gas station and shooting the clerk.
- Wheat fungus re-emerges in Kansas after decades Updated: Aug-24-15 8:13 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A fungus called wheat flag smut has re-emerged in Kansas after not being seen since the 1970s.
- Kickapoo Tribe files suit against its former chairman Updated: Aug-23-15 5:13 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kickapoo Tribe has accused its former chairman of financial malfeasance in a tribal court lawsuit.
- Man pleads guilty in deadly drive-by shooting in Topeka Updated: Aug-22-15 4:56 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A 20-year-old man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a drive-by shooting in Topeka.
- Kansas Democrats try to regroup after chairman resigns Updated: Aug-22-15 4:53 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - The resignation of the Kansas Democratic Party's chairman amid a backlash over comments he made about rebranding the party's message has thrown a mid-year political convention into flux.
- Geologist: Earthquakes linked to saltwater injection Updated: Aug-22-15 11:44 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Geological Survey believes an increase in earthquakes in two southern Kansas counties is linked to saltwater injection after oil and natural gas drilling, according to an agency scientist.
- Kansas Democratic chairman resigns after rebranding remark Updated: Aug-21-15 2:02 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The chairman of the Kansas Democratic Party resigned Friday amid a backlash over comments he made about rebranding the state party's message to emphasize it is more conservative than the national party.
- Topeka police say remains likely man missing for a week Updated: Aug-21-15 1:34 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Topeka police say a body found Friday is likely that of a 65-year-old man who has been missing for a week.
- Topeka police say body appears to be that of missing man Updated: Aug-21-15 1:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Topeka police say a body found near an assisted living facility appears to be that of a 65-year-old resident of the facility who had been missing more than a week.
- Officials don't want Guantanamo Bay detainees in Kansas Updated: Aug-21-15 9:52 am
JOPLIN, Missouri - Several elected officials from Kansas oppose moving detainees from Guantanamo Bay to Fort Leavenworth, citing the potential economic impact and security.
- 11 Kansas lakes under algae warnings Updated: Aug-21-15 8:26 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas health officials say 11 lakes in the state are under warnings because of toxic algae blooms.
- Flack seeks venue change for murder trial Updated: Aug-21-15 12:52 am
OTTAWA, Kansas - Lawyers representing a Kansas man accused of killing three adults and a child have asked the judge to move the trial.
- Official: Parts of west Kansas still needs more rain Updated: Aug-20-15 5:25 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Some parts of western Kansas still need about five inches of rain before they can make up what they lost in a recent drought, according to an environmental specialist with the Kansas Water Office.
- Topeka Zoo denies claims that their elephants are lonely Updated: Aug-20-15 11:20 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Topeka Zoo officials are denying claims that the zoo's two elephants are suffering from a lack of social interaction.