- Kansas investigates state's role in beating death case Updated: Jul-03-15 10:39 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas officials are investigating the state's treatment of a mentally ill patient who is accused of killing a man days after he was released from a psychiatric hospital.
- Kansas governor pondering religious objections legislation Updated: Jul-02-15 7:09 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican Gov. Sam Brownback said Thursday that he's considering proposing a new religious objections law for Kansas following the U.S. Supreme Court's legalization of gay marriage, and he defended his administration's cautious response to the ruling.
- Lawsuits involving gay marriage cost Kansas taxpayers $100K Updated: Jul-02-15 6:58 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas attorney general's office says legal disputes involving the state's gay marriage ban have cost taxpayers nearly $100,000 over the past 18 months.
- Kansas may not issue pension bonds, despite legal authority Updated: Jul-02-15 6:14 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Market conditions could delay or prevent Kansas from issuing $1 billion in bonds as part of an effort to boost the financial health of its pension system for teachers and government workers, even though top state officials gave the go-ahead Thursday.
- Kansas appeals court declares city's 'driveway tax' illegal Updated: Jul-02-15 6:04 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Court of Appeals says a so-called "driveway tax" imposed by a Kansas City suburb is illegal under a state law limiting the taxing power of cities.
- Investigators say illegal explosives found near Topeka Updated: Jul-02-15 5:16 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Federal, state and local authorities are investigating the manufacture of illegal explosives in the Topeka area.
- Gambling regulators approve Kansas Crossing casino Updated: Jul-02-15 4:43 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas gambling regulators gave final approval Thursday for a business partnership to begin building a casino in southeast Kansas for the state lottery.
- Kansas governor signs bill clarifying new property tax law Updated: Jul-02-15 5:04 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback has signed a bill clarifying that a new law aimed at reducing local property taxes doesn't take effect until 2018.
- Kansas AG plans to appeal ruling blocking anti-abortion law Updated: Jul-01-15 8:05 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' attorney general plans to appeal a judge's ruling temporarily blocking the state's first-in-the-nation ban on the most common second trimester abortion procedure.
- Kansas utility agrees to refund $10M, drop electric rates Updated: Jul-01-15 5:51 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The largest electric utility in Kansas would refund $10 million to its customers and decrease future rates slightly under an agreement Wednesday to settle a complaint filed by state regulators with the federal government.
- Kansas residents have higher taxes but less gun regulation Updated: Jul-01-15 2:08 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas residents are paying higher taxes on cigarettes, groceries and other consumer goods but no longer have to obtain a state permit to carry a concealed gun under new laws that took effect Wednesday.
- High number of rabies cases reported in Kansas Updated: Jul-01-15 7:44 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas residents are being warned to be cautious around skunks during an uptick in rabies cases.
- Topeka man sentenced to 44 years in prison for raping girl Updated: Jul-01-15 6:04 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Topeka man accused of kidnapping and raping a 5-year-old girl has been sentenced to nearly 44 years in prison.
- 72 counties removed from drought status in Kansas Updated: Jul-01-15 5:04 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The state has removed 72 counties from drought status thanks to recent rain in Kansas.
- Kansas Supreme Court stays lower court's order on school aid Updated: Jun-30-15 7:43 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' highest court Tuesday put on hold a lower court's order for the state to immediately increase aid to public schools by roughly $50 million but promised to move quickly to decide whether the state is distributing its money fairly.
- Kansas AG dismisses state court case against gay marriage Updated: Jun-30-15 7:29 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt has dismissed a case he filed last year with the state Supreme Court to keep counties from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Kansas collects $22M less in taxes than expected this month Updated: Jun-30-15 6:29 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas collected about $22 million less in taxes than anticipated this month, ending the fiscal year Tuesday with less of a cushion for its next budget, for which lawmakers boosted sales and cigarette taxes to keep it balanced.
- Franklin County judge denies request to unseal documents Updated: Jun-30-15 2:31 pm
OTTAWA, Kansas - A Franklin County District Court judge has denied a request to unseal dozens of documents in the case of a man charged with killing three adults and a child.
- Emergency room at Topeka VA reopens Updated: Jun-29-15 7:20 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The emergency room at Topeka's Veterans Administration hospital is scheduled to reopen after being closed more than a year.
- Kansas officials want school funding ruling put on hold Updated: Jun-29-15 5:44 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' attorney general on Monday asked the state's highest court to put on hold a lower court's decision ordering roughly $50 million more in aid to public school districts this week.
- Federal food program struggles to reach rural Kansas Updated: Jun-29-15 3:54 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Children in a third of Kansas counties don't have access to summer food programs, according to a child advocacy group.
- US Supreme Court to hear Kansas appeals Updated: Jun-29-15 3:39 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in three cases in which the Kansas Supreme Court set aside the death penalty for men convicted of capital murder.
- Topeka man wants judge, not jury, to decide his sentence Updated: Jun-29-15 1:56 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Topeka man who killed his mother chose to have a judge, rather than a jury, decide his sentence.
- Kansas bomb plot defendant gains time to review evidence Updated: Jun-29-15 1:05 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A federal judge on Monday gave a man charged with plotting to bomb an Army installation in support of the Islamic State group more time to review the evidence against him.
- Salina woman injured after car rolls near Topeka Updated: Jun-29-15 5:11 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A 19-year-old woman has been injured in a crash after falling asleep while driving near Topeka.