- Excerpts from recent editorials by newspapers in Illinois Updated: Nov-24-15 10:33 am
November 23, 2015
- Man in jail more than 2 years on gun charges released Updated: Nov-23-15 1:30 pm
URBANA, Illinois - A man who spent more than two years in jail on gun charges in Champaign County has been released after a judge says that the state didn't bring him to trial within an appropriate timeframe.
- U of Illinois hikes aid, drops scores for in-state students Updated: Nov-23-15 12:30 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - After years of pursuing higher-paying international students and watching in-state enrollment fall, the University of Illinois' flagship campus shifted course this year, increasing financial aid for students from Illinois but also taking the unusual step of accepting lower test scores.
- No. 2 Ohio State runs past Illinois 28-3 Updated: Nov-14-15 10:33 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - J.T. Barrett was back from his one-game suspension, and some of his best plays turned out to be handoffs to Ezekiel Elliott.
- Illini loses to Elliott, No. 2 Ohio State 28-3 Updated: Nov-14-15 9:26 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Illinois stayed closed to No. 2 Ohio State for almost an entire half. And then Ezekiel Elliott took over.
- Illinois point guard Tate has finger surgery Updated: Nov-14-15 5:57 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Illinois coach John Groce says point guard Jaylon Tate had surgery to repair a dislocated finger but has not said when the junior might return.
- Killeen wants U of Illinois tuition freeze Updated: Nov-13-15 4:01 am
CHICAGO - University of Illinois President Timothy Killeen would like to freeze tuition for in-state students at current levels but he isn't sure if that is possible.
- Illinois suspends linebacker over criminal investigation Updated: Nov-11-15 9:42 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Illinois football coach Bill Cubit indefinitely suspended freshman linebacker Julian Jones on Wednesday pending the outcome of a criminal investigation in Georgia.
- Illinois adds point guard, forward on signing day Updated: Nov-11-15 4:58 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Illinois has signed point guard Te'Jon Lucas to join the team next season and has added forward Kipper Nichols who previously committed to Tulane, coach John Groce said Wednesday.
- Mayor of Monticello resigns due to Lyme disease Updated: Nov-10-15 9:59 am
MONTICELLO, Illinois - The mayor of the central Illinois city of Monticello has resigned, saying he is struggling with chronic Lyme disease.
- Illinois fires athletic director after athlete allegations Updated: Nov-09-15 6:31 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Illinois fired athletic director Mike Thomas on Monday, saying he had done nothing wrong but a change was needed after the department was plunged into crisis when football and women's basketball players said had been mistreated by their coaches.
- Champaign's Virginia Theatre has big year in ticket sales Updated: Nov-09-15 1:47 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - The Virginia Theatre in Champaign is having a big year, bringing in more than $1 million in ticket sales so far in 2015.
- University of Illinois works to rein in sprawl on campus Updated: Nov-07-15 11:32 am
URBANA, Illinois - The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is trying to rein in expansion of space on its campus.
- Champaign City Council OKs police use of stun guns Updated: Nov-04-15 8:25 am
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - The Champaign City Council has approved the use of stun guns for its police department.
- Fire heavily damages Champaign County board chair's home Updated: Nov-02-15 12:01 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - The Champaign Fire Department says a blaze has extensively damaged the home of the Champaign County board chair.
- Illinois woman denies neglect, fights to get horses back Updated: Nov-01-15 4:01 am
ROSSVILLE, Illinois - A woman whose horses were seized by authorities in eastern Illinois says she takes in animals rescued from situations of neglect and that she is not guilty of cruelty or failing to care for them.
- University of Illinois trustees advance bonus removal Updated: Oct-30-15 3:50 pm
URBANA, Illinois - A University of Illinois trustees' committee has voted to eliminate a bonus for president Timothy Killeen worth $225,000 if stays in the job for five years.
- Illinois rules Ferguson out for Penn State game Updated: Oct-29-15 7:42 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Illinois says starting running back Josh Ferguson will not play against Penn State on Saturday. It will be the third straight game Ferguson has missed.
- EXCHANGE: Woman chronicles black community life Updated: Oct-29-15 6:11 am
URBANA, Illinois - Several years ago, Diane Nesbitt's family members were telling her to get on Facebook. She wanted nothing to do with it, but they signed her up anyway.
- More cuts at U of Illinois as budget wait continues Updated: Oct-28-15 11:21 am
URBANA, Illinois - University of Illinois leaders say cuts announced last week in administration spending aren't the only places where the state budget uncertainty is having an effect.