- Suicide bomber strikes Afghan market, killing 5 Updated: Feb-08-16 8:34 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - A suicide bomber struck in a crowded market in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, killing five civilians and wounding nine others, a local official said.
- Afghanistan hopes to meet with Taliban this month Updated: Feb-07-16 8:09 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan expects to hold direct talks with the Taliban by the end of this month, an official said Sunday.
- Afghanistan meeting ends with call for talks with Taliban Updated: Feb-06-16 11:22 am
ISLAMABAD - Four-nation talks aimed at ending Afghanistan's 15-year war concluded Saturday with a call for direct negotiations between the government and the Taliban by the end of February, but recent battlefield advances by the insurgents could make it hard to coax them to the table.
- Afghan Taliban close ranks around new leader Updated: Feb-05-16 11:53 am
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Afghanistan's Taliban are closing ranks around their new leader after months of infighting that followed the death of Mullah Mohammad Omar, which could allow the insurgents to speak with one voice in hoped-for peace talks but will also strengthen them on the battlefield.
- 5-year-old Afghan boy could get to meet Lionel Messi Updated: Feb-02-16 5:26 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - A 5-year-old Afghan boy who made a splash on the Internet by wearing a homemade Lionel Messi jersey might get the chance to meet the Barcelona great.
- Afghan women demand role in peace process Updated: Jan-22-16 2:00 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - As efforts gather pace to renew peace talks with the Taliban, Afghan women still haunted by the insurgents' brutal rule say they are being left out of the process, and fear that an accommodation with the militants could lead to the loss of hard-won rights.
- IS radio beams propaganda, threats across rural Afghanistan Updated: Jan-21-16 1:15 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Afghan reporters recognized the voice threatening them with death on the Islamic State group's local radio station. It was a former colleague, who knows their names and where they work.
- Russia to supply small arms to Afghanistan Updated: Jan-13-16 5:06 am
MOSCOW - Amid increasing concerns about instability in Afghanistan pouring over into the former Soviet republics and Russia, the Russian foreign ministry says it plans to supply small arms to Kabul though it will refrain from sending other weapons.
- Afghan official warns Taliban on staying out of peace talks Updated: Jan-12-16 8:59 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - A senior Afghan official on Tuesday warned the Taliban against staying out of the peace process with the government in Kabul, saying that insurgents who opt for war will face serious consequences.
- Canadian held by Taliban released in remote Afghan district Updated: Jan-12-16 3:35 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan official described on Tuesday the dramatic scene surrounding the release the previous day of a Canadian hostage held by the Taliban for five years - a scene that involved a helicopter landing to scoop the captive to freedom as fighter jets flew overhead in a remote district in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, US seek roadmap to peace Updated: Jan-11-16 3:46 pm
ISLAMABAD - Four countries __ Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States __ were cloistered away late into the night Monday trying to lay a foundation they hope will eventually lead to peace talks between the Afghan government and Taliban fighters. But in the end, the biggest decision that appeared to be reached was to meet again.