- Man gets nearly 6 years in prison in Salina arson case Updated: Oct-08-15 2:14 am
SALINA, Kansas - A 25-year-old man accused of setting three fires at the former Flamingo Motel in Salina has been sentenced to five years and 10 months in prison.
- Kansas family plans to appeal judge's ruling in girl's death Updated: Oct-03-15 3:51 pm
SALINA, Kansas - A Salina family whose 12-year-old daughter died several months after being shocked while playing in a rainstorm plans to appeal a district judge's ruling dismissing their lawsuit against the city.
- Kansas education commissioner says schools need to change Updated: Oct-02-15 3:19 pm
SALINA, Kansas - Kansas' new commissioner of education says schools need to become more focused on the student, not the system.
- Research making progress at Land Institute Updated: Sep-28-15 10:45 am
SALINA, Kansas - For several years, David Van Tassel has dreaded the presentations Land Institute scientists give during the annual Prairie Festival; plant breeding is a slow, incremental process that takes years.
- Vietnam vet from Kansas was given up for dead, but survived Updated: Sep-25-15 9:12 am
SALINA, Kansas - Assigned to a reconnaissance platoon, Army Demolition Engineer Jim Deister, a private first class, had been in battle two days when he was moved to a support base. The Army troops hadn't yet dug into their positions when they were overrun by 1,500 North Vietnamese. His platoon was ordered across a canal to protect an artillery base, the Salina Journal (http://bit.ly/1KtlVGR ) reported.
- 5 ordered to stand trial in Salina teen's shooting death Updated: Sep-24-15 8:57 am
SALINA, Kansas - A judge has found sufficient evidence for five young men to stand trial in the mistaken-identity shooting death of a Salina girl.
- Authorities search Salina after girl said she was abducted Updated: Sep-23-15 11:51 am
SALINA, Kansas - Authorities are searching a wooded area in northwest Salina after a girl said she was abducted.
- Brownback intervenes in auction of illegal deer heads Updated: Sep-22-15 3:08 pm
SALINA, Kansas - A 14-point whitetail deer head was removed from a state auction of illegally hunted trophy deer heads at the request of Gov. Sam Brownback's office because of a continuing dispute over its ownership.
- Land Institute president steps down, but work continues Updated: Sep-20-15 3:06 pm
SALINA, Kansas - The president of the Land Institute plans to step down from institution he founded 40 years ago, but the work continues on his vision to advance farming practices that work in partnership with nature.
- Judge sides with media in open records lawsuit against state Updated: Sep-18-15 5:59 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A Kansas judge on Friday ruled that Gov. Sam Brownback does not have the right to withhold the names of applicants for two newly created county commission seats that he filled late last year.
- Kansas State-Salina seeking new name Updated: Sep-17-15 4:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas State University wants to change the name of its Salina campus to better emphasize its concentration on technical arts and applied sciences.
- Authorities identify victim in fatal traffic accident Updated: Sep-14-15 1:10 pm
SALINA, Kansas - The Kansas Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal traffic accident south of Salina.