- PGA player DQ'd after hitting himself in head with putter Updated: May-06-16 4:41 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - PGA Tour golfer Zac Blair has been disqualified from the Wells Fargo Championship after hitting himself in the head with his putter - and then using the bent club to finish out the hole.
- Route vegetables: Highway blocked after truck spills spuds Updated: May-06-16 9:46 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Potatoes are everywhere on a North Carolina road, but these spuds aren't loaded or mashed and ready to eat.
- Wheatcroft, Loupe share Wells Fargo lead at 7-under 65 Updated: May-05-16 7:22 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Steve Wheatcroft and Andrew Loupe each shot 7-under 65 on Thursday in rain and steady wind to share the first-round lead in the Wells Fargo Championship, while Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler dodged a thrown golf ball with an earplug attached to it.
- Golf tournament removes 'insensitive' tweet on Cinco de Mayo Updated: May-05-16 5:37 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The Wells Fargo Championship deleted a photo posted on its official Twitter account of fans wearing sombreros and fake mustaches to celebrate Cinco de Mayo after it was deemed insensitive.
- The Latest: UNC could lose $1.4 billion over due to LGBT law Updated: May-05-16 5:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on disagreements over a North Carolina law that restricts transgender people to public restrooms aligned with their biological sex and prevents governments from passing their own anti-discrimination rules (all times local):
- Catholic charities want to know about Duke Energy lobbying Updated: May-05-16 8:46 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Two Catholic religious orders want to know more about Duke Energy's lobbying efforts.
- Sidelined: LGBT laws, NCAA policy could keep teams at home Updated: May-04-16 6:05 pm
Teams could pull out of scheduled NCAA events this spring because of new state laws in North Carolina, Mississippi and Tennessee while the sport's governing body's demands for discrimination-free environments at the places where its events are held won't take effect until the fall.
- Police chief: Officers used poor judgment in church arrest Updated: May-04-16 4:33 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The chief of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said the decision to arrest a suspect during a worship service was a "failure in leadership" and "indefensible."
- Hornets GM Cho: Re-signing Nicolas Batum 'No. 1 priority' Updated: May-04-16 4:19 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - General manager Rich Cho made it clear the Charlotte Hornets want to re-sign unrestricted free agent forward Nicolas Batum to a long-term contract.
- McIlroy aims for 1st PGA Tour win of year at Wells Fargo Updated: May-04-16 3:41 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Rory McIlroy is confident a return to one of his favorite golf courses will end his winless streak on the PGA Tour.
- North Carolina governor appealing open records decision Updated: May-04-16 7:43 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory's office says it's appealing a judge's decision refusing to dismiss a lawsuit by the news media that says the administration fails to comply with the state's open records law.
- Man operating sex trafficking enterprise gets life sentence Updated: May-04-16 6:50 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Federal prosecutors in North Carolina say a man convicted of running a sex trafficking operation that recruited women and girls as young as 16 into prostitution has been sentenced to life in prison.
- Man operating sex trafficking enterprise gets life sentence Updated: May-04-16 5:09 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Federal prosecutors say a man convicted of running a sex trafficking operation that recruited women and girls as young as 16 years old into prostitution has been sentenced to life in prison.
- Feds to probe fatal shooting involving North Carolina deputy Updated: May-03-16 2:39 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Federal officials say they are investigating whether any laws were violated when a North Carolina sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man as he sat on the porch of his home.
- Duke Energy 1Q adjusted profit meets Street's expectations Updated: May-03-16 8:44 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Duke Energy's first-quarter adjusted profit met Wall Street's view, as it dealt with milder winter weather.
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents Updated: May-02-16 5:19 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The Charlotte Hornets have a major decision ahead of them this offseason - keep the core group from a team that tied for the third-best record in the Eastern Conference or revamp the roster by adding new pieces.
- Man wanted for Charlotte hit-and-run in custody in Texas Updated: May-02-16 7:03 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A man wanted in connection with a hit-and-run wreck that killed a 6-year-old boy in Charlotte has turned himself in to authorities in Texas.
- Volunteer firefighter dies battling North Carolina blaze Updated: May-01-16 6:34 pm
PINEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities say a 20-year-old volunteer firefighter has died after battling a blaze in the Pineville area outside Charlotte.
- Panthers use 3 of 5 draft picks to address cornerback needs Updated: Apr-30-16 7:49 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The Carolina Panthers spent the NFL draft looking for a replacement for All-Pro cornerback Josh Norman.
- Officers help deliver baby of woman stuck in traffic jam Updated: Apr-30-16 5:35 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Two police officers at the site of a fatal traffic accident on an interstate in North Carolina were pressed into another role when a pregnant woman was stuck in traffic and they helped her deliver her baby.
- Man killed in ultralight crash in wooded area outside Monroe Updated: Apr-30-16 11:33 am
MONROE, North Carolina - Officials in Monroe say a South Carolina man was killed when the ultralight he was flying crashed in a wooded area just outside of town.
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Updated: Apr-29-16 11:45 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Dwyane Wade hadn't made a 3-point shot since December, enduring a streak of 22 consecutive misses.
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Updated: Apr-29-16 7:18 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Hornets forward Nicolas Batum said he's "running on adrenaline" as he prepares for Game 6 of Charlotte's first-round playoff series against the Miami Heat following the birth of his son early Friday.
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Updated: Apr-29-16 6:32 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association says it won't move its headquarters, its basketball tournament or other conference championships from North Carolina, despite the state's controversial new LGBT law.
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Updated: Apr-28-16 6:56 pm