- Yemen says no talks with rebels until they lay down arms Updated: Aug-27-15 1:06 pm
CAIRO - The Yemeni government is not negotiating with Shiite Houthi rebels who control the capital and much of the north, and demands that they lay down their arms, Foreign Minister Riad Yassin said Thursday.
- Arab League delays meeting on creating joint military force Updated: Aug-26-15 9:22 am
CAIRO - The Arab League has postponed a meeting of member state defense ministers who were scheduled to ratify a protocol for a new joint military force to intervene in troubled areas in the region, the organization said in a statement Wednesday.
- Massive IS car bomb hits Cairo security building, wounds 29 Updated: Aug-20-15 8:56 am
CAIRO - A massive car bomb claimed by Islamic State militants ripped into a national security building in a residential neighborhood in Cairo early Thursday, wounding at least 29 people and blowing the facades off nearby buildings.
- UN says Yemen on edge of famine from conflict, blocked ports Updated: Aug-19-15 4:37 pm
CAIRO - The war in Yemen has pushed the country to the brink of famine, with both commercial food imports and aid deliveries held up by the fighting and millions of hungry women and children facing possible starvation, the United Nations said Wednesday.
- Egypt's banned ultras soccer fans take to streets Updated: Aug-17-15 3:34 am
CAIRO - Chanting slogans, carrying signs and waving flares, these eager young men who gather in Egypt could be mistaken for Arab Spring demonstrators.
- The Latest on Croatian hostage killed by Islamic State Updated: Aug-12-15 3:03 pm
CAIRO - The latest in the events surrounding the purported slaying by Egypt's Islamic State affiliate of Croatian hostage Tomislav Salopek, after an online image was circulated Wednesday showing his beheaded body.
- Egypt officials: Factory fire north of Cairo kills 5 people Updated: Aug-08-15 1:07 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian security and health officials say a fire at a factory north of Cairo has killed five workers and injured four.
- Deadline passes for Croat held by IS militants in Egypt Updated: Aug-07-15 4:14 pm
CAIRO - Police searches and diplomatic efforts intensified over the fate of a Croatian hostage held in Egypt by Islamic State extremists, who threatened to kill him Friday if the government did not release imprisoned Islamist women.
- Egypt unveils Suez Canal extension with pomp-filled ceremony Updated: Aug-06-15 5:22 pm
ISMAILIA, Egypt - In a defining moment of his young presidency, Egypt's Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi presided Thursday over the unveiling of a major extension of the Suez Canal that he hailed as a historic feat needed to revive the country's ailing economy after years of unrest.
- African football won't support Bility's FIFA president bid Updated: Aug-06-15 9:48 am
GENEVA - FIFA presidential hopeful Musa Bility of Liberia has failed to get the support of his fellow African football leaders.
- Egypt's disaffected youth increasingly calling for violence Updated: Aug-04-15 2:01 am
CAIRO - The 20-year-old law student says he has had enough of fruitless protests in support of Egypt's deposed Islamist president, two years of a losing struggle with police.
- US, Egypt resume formal security talks with Kerry visit Updated: Aug-02-15 8:31 pm
CAIRO - Despite persistent human rights concerns, the United States on Sunday resumed formal security talks with Egypt that were last held six years ago and kept on hiatus until now amid political unrest that swept the country in the wake of the Arab Spring.
- Egypt court postpones Al-Jazeera English verdict to Aug. 29 Updated: Aug-02-15 8:14 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Sunday again postponed announcing a verdict in the retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists, extending the long-running trial criticized worldwide by press freedom advocates and human rights activists.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.
- Egypt, Saudi Arabia aim to enhance cooperation Updated: Jul-30-15 1:36 pm
CAIRO - Egypt and Saudi Arabia say they aim to boost military, economic, and social ties and pursue their common interests.
- US delivering 8 newer F-16 warplanes to Egypt Updated: Jul-30-15 11:44 am
CAIRO - The United States Embassy in Cairo says the U.S. is delivering eight newer F-16 warplanes to Egypt as part of an ongoing military support package.