- Egypt official says journalist detained for 'false news' Updated: Dec-01-15 1:05 pm
CAIRO - A police official and the wife of an Egyptian researcher and freelance journalist say he was detained upon arrival at Egypt's Hurghada airport.
- Egypt holds final 2 days of voting in parliament elections Updated: Dec-01-15 3:21 am
CAIRO - Egyptian polling centers in nearly half of the country, including in the capital of Cairo, have opened their doors to voters for the final round of runoffs in parliament elections.
- Sudan accuses Egyptian police of abusing its citizens Updated: Nov-25-15 1:53 pm
CAIRO - The Sudanese Embassy in Cairo has accused Egyptian authorities of unlawfully detaining and beating 16 Sudanese over the past six weeks, charges denied by Egypt.
- Palestinian official: Gaza border deal reached with Egypt Updated: Nov-16-15 2:46 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - A senior Palestinian official on Monday said the Palestinian Authority has reached an agreement with Egypt to reopen the Gaza Strip's main border crossing in an arrangement meant to bypass the territory's Hamas rulers.
- Egypt celebrates famed museum amid tourism slump Updated: Nov-16-15 10:04 am
CAIRO - Egyptian officials sought to project an upbeat tone on Monday by celebrating the 113th anniversary of the Egyptian Museum, home to the world's most extensive collection of Pharaonic antiquities, as the country grapples with a plunge in tourism following last month's Russian plane crash.
- Egyptian Museum marks 113th anniversary amid tourism slump Updated: Nov-16-15 9:25 am
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities sought to project an upbeat tone as the country on Monday marked the 113th anniversary of its famed Egyptian Museum, the home of the world's largest collection of Pharaonic-era antiquities, amid a slump in tourism and massive tourist cancellations.
- Egypt's woes erode el-Sissi's image of invincibility Updated: Nov-14-15 7:34 am
CAIRO - The criticism was blunt - and startling, since it came from a TV presenter on a state-owned station that, like most other media in Egypt, usually has nothing but praise for Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, the country's general-turned-president.
- 3 gunmen open fire on church in Egypt, no one killed Updated: Nov-12-15 7:10 am
CAIRO - Egypt's official news agency says gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire on a church near Cairo, setting off a gunbattle with police. No one was killed.
- In Egypt, angry talk of Western conspiracy over plane crash Updated: Nov-10-15 5:36 am
CAIRO - Egyptian media have reacted with fury as Britain and the United States increasingly point to a bomb as the cause of the Oct. 31 Russian plane crash in Sinai, with many outlets hammering home the same message: Egypt is facing a Western conspiracy that seeks to scare off tourists and destroy the country's economy.
- The Latest: British minister: Jet likely downed by explosive Updated: Nov-09-15 1:47 pm
CAIRO - The latest on the crash of a Russian plane in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula over a week ago that killed all 224 people onboard. (All times local.)
- Egypt police say they've killed senior IS militant in Cairo Updated: Nov-09-15 11:05 am
CAIRO - Egyptian police have killed a top commander of a local Islamic State affiliate in a Cairo raid, the Interior Ministry said Monday.
- Sharm el-Sheikh airport officials reveal porous security Updated: Nov-07-15 6:21 pm
CAIRO - The airport at Egypt's resort of Sharm el-Sheikh has long seen gaps in security, including a key baggage scanning device that often is not functioning and lax searches at an entry gate for food and fuel for the planes, security officials at the airport told The Associated Press.
- Egypt's grand plans to boost tourism marred after crash Updated: Nov-05-15 5:37 pm
LUXOR, Egypt - Egypt had launched festivities, archaeological openings and a new tourism campaign to draw much-needed foreign visitors. But with many flights to Red Sea resorts grounded Thursday amid suspicion that a bomb brought down a Russian airliner, hopes for a recovery were fading.
- The Latest: US officials: Heat detected around Russian jet Updated: Nov-03-15 11:59 am
CAIRO - The latest developments after Saturday's crash of a Russian passenger plane in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, killing all 224 people on board. (All times local).