- 11-year-old Indonesian jazz piano prodigy releases debut CD Updated: May-12-15 9:35 pm
NEW YORK - Joey Alexander's favorite things include the Avengers, SpongeBob and Thelonious Monk. He's a normal 11-year-old kid who just happens to be a jazz piano prodigy from Indonesia and has already impressed such jazz luminaries as Wynton Marsalis and Herbie Hancock.
- Indonesian police arrest 7 in seafood slavery case Updated: May-12-15 8:22 pm
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Two Indonesians and five Thais were arrested on charges of human trafficking connected with slavery in the seafood industry, Indonesian police said. They were the first suspects taken into custody since the case was revealed by The Associated Press in a report two months ago.
- Boats with 600 Rohingya and Bangladeshis land in Indonesia Updated: May-11-15 12:29 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Boats carrying nearly 600 Bangladeshis and long-persecuted Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar washed to shore in western Indonesia, some after captains and smugglers abandoned the ships, leaving passengers to fend for themselves, survivors and migrant experts said. Thousands more are believed to be stranded at sea.
- Australia wary of escalating rift after Indonesia executions Updated: Apr-29-15 2:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia said it would withdraw its ambassador to Indonesia after two Australians were among eight drug traffickers executed by the Southeast Asian country Wednesday, but was wary of escalating hostilities with its neighbor despite a public outcry.
- Profiles of 8 drug traffickers executed in Indonesia Updated: Apr-28-15 9:44 pm
CILACAP, Indonesia - Indonesia early Wednesday executed eight people convicted of drug smuggling, according to foreign governments and local media reports, although a Philippine woman was granted a stay of execution.