- Willett wins Dubai Desert Classic with birdie putt on 18th Updated: Feb-07-16 10:33 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Danny Willett withstood the pressure and made a 15-foot birdie putt on the final hole to win the Dubai Desert Classic title by one shot on Sunday.
- Somali officials: Suicide bomber may have blown hole in jet Updated: Feb-06-16 3:49 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A suicide bomber is suspected to have set off the explosive that blew a hole in a jetliner, sucked the man out of the plane and forced the aircraft to make an emergency landing on Tuesday in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, Somali officials said Saturday.
- Lawyer: New York-born man was mistreated after terror arrest Updated: Feb-05-16 7:16 pm
NEW YORK - The lawyer for a New York City-born man serving a 15-year prison sentence for supporting al-Qaida urged a judge Friday to find the U.S. government liable for failing to quickly diagnose a medical condition after his 2010 arrest, but a federal prosecutor said he was treated properly.
- Emirates Equestrian Federation suspends 5 endurance riders Updated: Feb-05-16 12:57 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Emirates Equestrian Federation has suspended five endurance riders and temporarily postponed endurance races in the United Arab Emirates until the middle of next week in a pledge to improve the welfare of horses.
- Dave Renwick, top Scottish caddie, dies of cancer at 62 Updated: Feb-04-16 10:33 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dave Renwick, the Scottish caddie who worked for three major champions and was on the bag for Vijay Singh's greatest season, has died of stomach cancer. He was 62.
- Gulf investors to buy majority stake in Kuwait's Americana Updated: Feb-04-16 5:51 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A consortium of Gulf Arab investors has agreed to buy a majority stake in Middle Eastern food firm Kuwait Food Company, which operates regional franchises of KFC, Krispy Kreme and other well-known Western brands.
- Roger Federer has knee surgery, will skip 2 tournaments Updated: Feb-03-16 8:18 am
BASEL, Switzerland - Roger Federer has had knee surgery and will miss tournaments in Rotterdam and Dubai this month.
- Saudi government website shows 9 US nationals arrested Updated: Feb-01-16 3:18 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Nine Americans are currently imprisoned in Saudi jails, with eight detained in the past three months, according to a website belonging to Saudi Arabia's Interior Ministry.
- Saudi-led coalition sets up body to probe actions in Yemen Updated: Feb-01-16 10:31 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Saudi-led coalition striking Shiite rebels in Yemen announced Monday that it is setting up an independent committee to probe the force's actions in the deeply impoverished country amid mounting criticism over its military operations there.
- Dubai holds on to spot as busiest international airport Updated: Feb-01-16 8:57 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dubai's main airport solidified its position as the busiest for international passengers, with traveler numbers surging more than 10 percent last year.
- AP Interview: CEO hopes to settle Saudi firm's $6B of debts Updated: Jan-28-16 8:10 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The acting CEO of a Saudi firm that has owed $6 billion in debts since a 2009 crisis says he's hopeful a tentative agreement being offered to its creditors will be accepted.
- Qatari emir shakes up Cabinet amid low oil prices Updated: Jan-27-16 9:21 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Qatar's ruler shook up his Cabinet on Wednesday, shuffling some ministers into new positions while consolidating some of their jobs as low global oil and gas prices squeeze the Gulf country and the wider Middle East.
- UAE rail developer suspends bidding process for extension Updated: Jan-26-16 7:53 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The government-backed developer of the United Arab Emirates' railway network says it has halted progress on the second stage of the project.
- 3 charged after lioness prowled Dubai neighborhood Updated: Jan-26-16 3:01 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Three people have been charged with public endangerment over an incident that saw a lioness escape from a home in a Dubai neighborhood and prowl the streets for several hours.
- Amnesty: Dozens of juvenile offenders face death in Iran Updated: Jan-25-16 7:21 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dozens of people who were arrested in Iran for crimes committed before they turned 18 remain at risk of the death penalty despite recent reforms, with many having already spent years on death row, according to a report by Amnesty International released Tuesday.
- Official: Possible Saudi IPO wouldn't include oil reserves Updated: Jan-24-16 7:19 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The chairman of Saudi oil giant Saudi Aramco was quoted as saying a possible initial public offering would not include the kingdom's oil reserves.
- Ethiopian runners sweep top spots at Dubai Marathon Updated: Jan-22-16 3:01 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Ethiopian runners have swept the top spots of the Dubai Marathon.
- Dubai pet lion escapes, found roaming the streets Updated: Jan-21-16 5:29 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Residents in the Al Barsha neighborhood of Dubai might have noticed a stranger roaming their streets Thursday when a lion went out for a stroll.
- Twitter erupts after Saudi cleric says chess is forbidden Updated: Jan-21-16 4:08 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A video clip of Saudi Arabia's top cleric saying that the game of chess is "forbidden" in Islam because it wastes time and leads to rivalry and enmity among people has provoked heated debate, and widespread criticism, among Arabic Twitter users.
- Dubai's DP World, Russian fund form ports joint venture Updated: Jan-21-16 6:53 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dubai-based port operator DP World and the Russian Direct Investment Fund say they are launching a joint venture to develop ports, transportation and logistics infrastructure in Russia.
- Dubai police: Exposed wiring likely sparked NYE tower fire Updated: Jan-20-16 10:57 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Exposed wiring likely sparked the New Year's Eve blaze that engulfed a 63-story skyscraper in Dubai just hours before a nearby fireworks display at the world's tallest building, police said Wednesday.
- McIlroy expects better short game, putting after eye surgery Updated: Jan-20-16 4:42 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - Rory McIlroy expects his short game and putting to be better this year after undergoing laser eye surgery during his two-month break from competitive golf.
- Dubai tower blaze shows risks in common building material Updated: Jan-19-16 10:29 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Within minutes, the revelry of New Year's Eve in Dubai turned to horror as those gathered for fireworks downtown watched flames race up the side of one of the glistening city's most prominent luxury hotels.
- Iran moves assets, awaits benefits as sanctions are lifted Updated: Jan-19-16 10:25 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran successfully transferred some of the billions of dollars' worth of frozen overseas assets following the implementation of the nuclear deal with world powers, the head of the country's central bank said Tuesday. But ordinary Iranians are still waiting to see how their daily lives will improve and how fast Iranian companies will gain access to financial markets worldwide.
- Emirati prosecutors file warrant for men dancing in uniforms Updated: Jan-19-16 8:38 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Prosecutors in the United Arab Emirates have filed an arrest warrant for two men who wore military uniforms and danced in an Internet video.