- Native Americans in Louisiana swamps seek tribal recognition Updated: Nov-25-15 5:36 pm
LAFITTE, Louisiana - Giovanni R. Santini has done just about all he could to prove he's an American Indian over the decades he's lived in his Louisiana bayou town - even fighting with his fists to defend his bloodline with the Houma tribe.
- Pierre Part woman accused of scamming customers Updated: Nov-24-15 7:44 am
PIERRE PART, Louisiana - Assumption Parish sheriff's deputies say a 32-year-old Pierre Part woman is accused of scamming people through an online store.
- State approves $38M in bonds for new Terrebonne schools Updated: Nov-23-15 7:55 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - The State Bond Commission has approved $38 million in bonds for the Terrebonne School Board to pay for a new Southdown Elementary School and other facility improvements.
- Body of missing Houma fisherman found in lake Updated: Nov-19-15 12:58 pm
HOUMA, Louisiana - Authorities have found the body of a Houma fisherman reported missing since Tuesday morning.
- Fletcher chancellor candidates state their case at forum Updated: Nov-19-15 8:33 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - Four candidates for chancellor at Fletcher Technical Community College said at a public forum that they would place an emphasis on strengthening the college's relationship with industry partners and Nicholls State University.
- Terrebonne council discusses mosquito problem Updated: Nov-17-15 12:00 pm
HOUMA, Louisiana - With an uptick in mosquito activity, the Terrebonne Parish Council has discussed combating the pest problem with contracted Mosquito Control Services.
- Crawfish season kicks off in Terrebonne, Lafourche parishes Updated: Nov-12-15 9:46 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - The first of the season's crawfish are starting to appear in seafood shops across Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes.
- College breaks ground on new maritime safety training center Updated: Nov-12-15 7:43 am
MORGAN CITY, Louisiana - South Central Louisiana Technical College has broken ground on a new maritime safety training center that is expected to partner with a similar facility in Houma once it is built.
- Lafourche officials celebrate beginning of floodwall project Updated: Nov-10-15 10:13 am
LAROSE, Louisiana - Construction has started on a roughly $5 million floodwall along the Intracoastal Waterway to help protect more than 300 homes and 15 businesses from Larose to Lockport.
- Terrebonne re-approves contract for operations center Updated: Nov-10-15 7:10 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - Terrebonne Parish has reissued the construction contract for the parish's new emergency operations center in Gray after rescinding the initial contract due to budget constraints.
- Terrebonne Parish adding 2 levee projects to budget Updated: Nov-09-15 12:46 pm
HOUMA, Louisiana - Terrebonne Parish is looking to add two levee projects to the proposed 2016 parish budget and five-year capital outlay.
- Team of lawyers sets record for world's largest gumbo pot Updated: Nov-09-15 7:58 am
LAROSE, Louisiana - A team led by Louisiana lawyers set the Guinness World Record for the world's largest pot of gumbo.
- Teen to serve 6 months for fatal drag racing crash Updated: Nov-07-15 4:08 am
THIBODAUX, Louisiana - An 18-year-old will serve six months in the Lafourche Parish jail for his role as a driver in a 2014 crash that killed a Thibodaux High School student.
- Estuary program to update comprehensive plan Updated: Nov-06-15 8:06 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - The Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program and its partners will spend the next year updating the document that outlines how the program promotes and preserves local estuaries.
- Ribbon-cutting marks new lower-rent apartments at Bayou Cane Updated: Nov-06-15 4:08 am
BAYOU CANE, Louisiana - Officials in the Bayou Cane area of Terrebonne Parish are celebrating the opening of a new affordable-rent apartment complex.
- Bayou Boeuf firefighters get all-new gear Updated: Nov-04-15 8:17 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - Next time Bayou Boeuf volunteer firefighters respond to a call, they'll be wearing all-new gear.
- Houma man sentenced to 15 years for beating stepfather Updated: Oct-31-15 2:10 pm
HOUMA, Louisiana - A state judge has ruled that a 52-year-old Houma man should spend the maximum sentence of 15 years in prison for severely beating his 82-year-old stepfather.
- Bubba Dove Floodgate under repair after cable snaps Updated: Oct-30-15 7:58 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - The Terrebonne Levee and Conservation District is repairing the Bubba Dove Floodgate after a cable snapped when it was closed in response to the high water event created by the remnants of Hurricane Patricia.
- Houma man killed, 3 injured in Wednesday night fight Updated: Oct-29-15 8:34 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - Houma police are investigating a fight that left one man died and three others injured.
- Corps eyeing sugar cane fields for mitigation project Updated: Oct-27-15 11:47 am
RACELAND, Louisiana - Hundreds of acres of sugarcane field and swamp just outside of Raceland could be turned into wetlands to compensate for levees and drainage work to protect areas surrounding New Orleans from hurricanes.