- Lamar County starts legal fight over Hattiesburg annexation Updated: May-01-16 12:10 pm
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Lamar County supervisors are giving notice that they will try to block Hattiesburg's annexation in parts of their county.
- Ground broken for solar energy facility in Hattiesburg Updated: Apr-28-16 6:58 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Officials have broken ground on a new solar energy facility in Hattiesburg.
- Maureen Ryan named dean at MSU's College of Arts and Letters Updated: Apr-27-16 8:53 pm
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - The University of Southern Mississippi has appointed Dr. Maureen Ryan as dean of the College of Arts and Letters.
- Rouse to lead Mississippi's College Board starting May 8 Updated: Apr-26-16 4:01 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Dr. Doug Rouse will become president of Mississippi's College Board on May 8, leading trustees who oversee the state's eight public universities.
- Couple serving life for killing woman's grandmother, 64 Updated: Apr-25-16 4:05 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - A Hattiesburg woman and her boyfriend are serving life sentences for stabbing the woman's 64-year-old grandmother to death.
- Winners announced in 2016 MAPB contest Updated: Apr-23-16 10:31 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Winners of the Mississippi Associated Press Broadcasters contest were announced April 23 in Jackson, Mississippi. The MAPB awards recognize outstanding performance in broadcast journalism. The MAPB college competition recognizes outstanding performance in college broadcast journalism.
- Hattiesburg bail bond agent indicted for stealing bond money Updated: Apr-23-16 10:06 am
PURVIS, Mississippi - A Hattiesburg bail bond agent has been arrested on charges he stole more than $30,000 from his employer.
- Lamar County supervisors discuss options on annexation Updated: Apr-22-16 6:38 am
PURVIS, Mississippi - Lamar County supervisors have met in executive session to explore their options for fighting annexation of parts of the county by the city of Hattiesburg.
- Hattiesburg teacher cuts affected popular programs Updated: Apr-21-16 11:11 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Hattiesburg Public School District officials are for the first time discussing in detail the job cuts that were made earlier this month.
- Hattiesburg school board searches for new superintendent Updated: Apr-21-16 11:03 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Hattiesburg Public School District officials are officially searching for a new superintendent.
- Roll call on House passage of $415 million tax cut bill Updated: Apr-18-16 7:12 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi House voted 73-44 Monday to approve a House-Senate plan to cut $415 million in taxes over 12 years. Supporters say the measure will return needed money to taxpayers and spur business growth. Opponents say Mississippi can't afford tax cuts with a revenue shortfall and say tax cuts haven't helped economies of other states. A yes vote was to approve the bill, while a no vote opposed that action. Voting yes were 66 Republicans and seven Democrats. Voting no were 37 Democrats and seven Republicans. Two Democrats voted present, while one Democrat and one Republican did not vote.
- Miss. Armed Forces Museum to open in next few months Updated: Apr-18-16 6:59 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Mississippi Armed Forces Museum officials expect the museum to reopen sometime this year, although an exact date hasn't been set.
- Mississippi Senate roll call on charter schools bill Updated: Apr-07-16 3:25 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Senate, on a 24-21 vote Thursday, passed the final version of Senate Bill 2161, which would allow students in Mississippi school districts with academic ratings of C, D, or F to cross district lines to attend charter schools elsewhere in the state. A yes vote was a vote for the bill, while a no vote was a vote against it.
- Trial continued for 1 charged in deaths of Miss. officers Updated: Apr-07-16 7:19 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - The April 14 trial of one of nine charged in the shooting deaths of Hattiesburg police officers Benjamin J. Deen and Liquori Tate has been continued. No new trial date has been set.
- Hattiesburg school board member resigns Updated: Apr-06-16 6:11 pm
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - A Hattiesburg Public School District board member has resigned.
- Restitution ordered in auctioneer theft case Updated: Apr-06-16 4:35 pm
KENNER, Louisiana - A Louisiana prosecutor says a former auction company owner from Mississippi has been ordered to pay $216,000 to the city of Kenner.
- Forrest Co. opens safe room for severe weather Updated: Apr-05-16 7:04 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Forrest County emergency management officials have instituted a safe room to provide temporary shelter for residents during periods of severe weather.