- Guatemala extradites alleged drug kingpin to United States Updated: Apr-30-15 4:28 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - An alleged narco-kingpin wanted in New York for his purported role in an international drug trafficking conspiracy was extradited to the United States on Thursday, Guatemalan authorities said.
- Guatemala asks for renewal of UN commission probing crime Updated: Apr-23-15 3:20 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemala is inviting a U.N. commission to continue its work investigating criminal networks in the Central American nation, President Otto Perez Molina said Thursday.
- UN anti-crime commission's future uncertain in Guatemala Updated: Apr-19-15 11:08 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Even in crime-ridden Guatemala, the headlines were startling: Prosecutors busted a customs bribery ring that likely defrauded the state of millions of dollars, with the current and former Tax Authority chiefs and a top aide to the vice president implicated.
- Guatemalan ex-dictator's daughter announces presidential bid Updated: Apr-17-15 7:47 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - The daughter of Efrain Rios Montt, the former dictator facing charges of genocide for massacres committed during his 1982-83 regime, is running for president of Guatemala.
- Guatemala arrests current, ex-tax chiefs in corruption case Updated: Apr-16-15 5:13 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemala's current and former tax chiefs were detained along with more than a dozen other people in a crackdown on a ring that defrauded the state through bribery and theft and that was led by a top aide to the vice president, authorities said Thursday.
- Correction: Guatemala-Building Collapse-Victim story Updated: Apr-10-15 6:33 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - In a story April 9 about the repatriation of the remains of a Guatemalan victim in a New York City explosion, The Associated Press erroneously reported the date of the explosion. It occurred on March 26, 2015, not March 23. The story also incorrectly described the blast as a gas explosion, rather than as an apparent gas explosion. The cause remains under investigation.