- Festivities officially begin as Essence purposely parties Updated: Jul-03-15 6:13 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The 21st annual Essence Festival started Thursday, but organizers and city leaders officially welcomed attendees with a Friday press conference at the Morial Convention Center.
- California woman killed in two-vehicle crash Updated: Jul-03-15 5:39 pm
TALLULAH, Louisiana - Louisiana State Police say a 26-year-old Long Beach, California, woman was killed Friday when her car collided with an 18-wheeler on Interstate 20 in Madison Parish.
- Houma man killed in Terrebonne Parish crash Updated: Jul-03-15 5:35 pm
THERIOT, Louisiana - Louisiana State Police say a Houma man was killed in a one-vehicle accident in Terrebonne Parish.
- Kenner woman dies in Interstate 10 accident Updated: Jul-03-15 5:19 pm
PORT ALLEN, Louisiana - Louisiana State Police say a Kenner woman has died in a two-vehicle accident on Interstate in West Baton Rouge Parish.
- Port Board approves stevedore license Updated: Jul-03-15 4:44 pm
LAKE CHARLES, Louisiana - Lake Charles Port Board has approved a stevedore license for New Orleans-based Coastal Cargo.
- New Orleans bar loses permit to sell liquor Updated: Jul-03-15 4:22 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A New Orleans Civil Court District judge has denied a motion from a French Quarter bar to stop the state from revoking its permit to sell alcohol.
- 2nd suspect arrested in murder of St. Augustine student Updated: Jul-03-15 4:02 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A second suspect has been arrested in connection with the death of an 18-year-old St. Augustine High School student.
- Frankie Beverly and Maze returns to Essence Festival Updated: Jul-03-15 1:49 pm
NEW ORLEANS - For 15 years, thousands of fans dressed all in white entered the Superdome on the final day of the Essence Festival anticipating the soulful sounds of Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, who also dressed in his signature white pants, shirt and baseball cap, would sing into the wee hours of the next day.
- Court: 2012 law affecting tenured teachers constitutional Updated: Jul-03-15 10:47 am
LAKE CHARLES, Louisiana - The Louisiana Supreme Court has reversed a lower court decision that found unconstitutional a 2012 law that gave state school superintendents wide discretion in firing tenured teachers.
- BP to pay record $18.7 billion to states affected by spill Updated: Jul-03-15 5:15 am
NEW ORLEANS - More than five years after the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history fouled beaches, coated seabirds in thick goo and threatened delicate marshes, BP has agreed to pay a record settlement to affected states in hopes of bringing an end to a legal drama that has cost the company billions.
- 2 plead guilty in federal tax fraud scheme Updated: Jul-03-15 4:08 am
NEW ORLEANS - Two Tangipahoa Parish residents have pleaded guilty in a tax refund scheme.
- Rest area in Vinton/Toomey area to close temporarily Updated: Jul-03-15 4:08 am
VINTON, Louisiana - The Interstate-10 rest area in the Vinton/Toomey area temporarily closes beginning Monday for renovation.
- Lane closures Monday on bridge linking Vidalia, Natchez Updated: Jul-03-15 4:08 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Starting Monday, lane closures will be in place on the eastbound side of the Mississippi River Bridge in Natchez, Mississippi and Vidalia, Louisiana for the placement of concrete barriers.
- Nearly 40 named in indictment involving drug trafficking Updated: Jul-02-15 9:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Murder plots, using children to transport drugs, storing cocaine at a Baton Rouge day care center - those are among the allegations in an indictment of 39 people in what federal prosecutors are calling a "violent drug trafficking" network out of East Baton Rouge and Ascension parishes.
- Kentucky clerk sued for not issuing gay-marriage licenses Updated: Jul-02-15 7:40 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Four Kentucky couples are suing a clerk who is refusing to issue gay-marriage licenses - or any marriage licenses at all - following the U.S. Supreme Court decision that same-sex couples have a legal right to marry.
- Supreme Court disbars St Tammany lawyer Updated: Jul-02-15 6:54 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Louisiana Supreme Court has disbarred Nanine McCool, a St. Tammany Parish lawyer who unsuccessfully ran for a judge's seat last year.
- Federal judge to Louisiana: Make gay marriage changes now Updated: Jul-02-15 6:25 pm
NEW ORLEANS - After waiting about as long as possible, the state of Louisiana began selling marriage licenses to same-sex couples and agreed Thursday that they could file joint income-tax returns and get both parents' names on their children's birth certificates.
- 1 coastal Louisiana parish not settling with BP Updated: Jul-02-15 5:58 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The newly announced BP oil spill settlement covers the federal government, the five Gulf states and "the vast majority of local governmental entities" in those states. However, the government of one of Louisiana's hardest hit areas, coastal Plaquemines Parish, says it has not yet agreed to a settlement.
- Obama draws sharp contrasts with 'mean' Republicans Updated: Jul-02-15 5:39 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - Wading into presidential politics, President Barack Obama on Thursday promoted his brand of middle-class economics by drawing sharp contrasts with "mean" Republicans in a state whose GOP governor was preparing to enter the vast 2016 presidential field.
- 4 men serving life sentences win new trial Updated: Jul-02-15 4:24 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The convictions of four men accused of raping a 15-year-old girl during a party in 2008 at a Madisonville home have been overturned by the Louisiana Supreme Court.
- Upscale development finalized for Gonzales Updated: Jul-02-15 12:25 pm
GONZALES, Louisiana - Developers of a mixed-use community coming planned in Gonzales have finalized the $8 million purchase of 345 acres.
- AP source: Pelicans, Asik agree on 5-year contract Updated: Jul-02-15 12:15 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans Pelicans and center Omer Asik have agreed on a five-year contract worth a minimum of $44 million and rising up to $58 million if incentives and benchmarks are met, said a person familiar with the negotiations.
- Lafourche begins school safety upgrades Updated: Jul-02-15 7:15 am
THIBODAUX, Louisiana - The Lafourche Parish school system is spending $29 million over the next 10 years on school safety.
- YMCA new fitness center now under construction Updated: Jul-02-15 6:58 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - The YMCA has started construction on its Red River Fitness and Natural Sciences campus in Shreveport.
- Plastipak Packaging to expand in Pineville Updated: Jul-02-15 6:31 am
PINEVILLE, Louisiana - Plastipak Packaging President and CEO William Young says the company will make a $9 million investment to expand production capacity at its manufacturing plant in Pineville.