- Aquino: Philippines to fly usual routes over disputed reefs Updated: May-25-15 1:28 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine aircraft will continue to fly their usual routes over disputed reefs in the South China Sea, the country's president said Monday, defying China's challenges to its planes and those of the United States.
- Catholics organize to promote pope's climate change message Updated: May-24-15 12:13 pm
NEW YORK - There will be prayer vigils and pilgrimages, policy briefings and seminars, and sermons in parishes from the U.S. to the Philippines.
- APEC trade chiefs vow to speed up work in WTO Updated: May-24-15 10:23 am
MANILA, Philippines - Trade ministers from 21 Asia-Pacific countries on Sunday issued strong support to the World Trade Organization's efforts to boost global trade amid a flurry of regional free trade agreements.
- Robert De Niro opens Asia's 1st Nobu Hotel in Philippines Updated: May-18-15 7:19 am
MANILA, Philippines - Robert de Niro and his business partners formally opened Asia's first Nobu Hotel in Manila on Monday as the luxury brand gears up for global expansion.
- Philippine factory where 72 died suspected of breaking law Updated: May-15-15 7:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - A factory where a fire killed 72 people violated employment laws, the Philippines' top labor official said Friday, as more witness reports emerged about the victims being trapped behind iron grill bars shouting for help.
- 4 killed as Philippine troops clash with Abu Sayyaf Updated: May-15-15 5:40 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine troops overran a bomb factory of Abu Sayyaf militants after a firefight that killed three insurgents and a soldier in the country's restive south, the military said Friday.
- Filipino shadow play performers win 'Asia's Got Talent' Updated: May-14-15 11:46 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Filipino shadow play performer El Gamma Penumbra won the grand prize of the first season of "Asia's Got Talent," the pan-Asian talent search in Singapore.
- Injured Manny Pacquiao returns to the Philippines Updated: May-13-15 7:42 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao returned home to the Philippines on Wednesday nursing his right shoulder after surgery and weighing up whether to retire or push for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Typhoon swerves into Japan, leaves 2 dead in Philippines Updated: May-11-15 11:06 pm
TOKYO - A powerful typhoon swerved into southern Japan Tuesday after hammering the northeastern tip of the Philippines, leaving at least two people dead.
- Boxing loss could be Pacquiao's political win Updated: May-10-15 2:24 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao lost his biggest fight in the ring, but that won't stop him from plotting a bigger comeback - in the political arena that is.
- Philippine volcano ejects ash, but no violent eruption Updated: May-07-15 12:10 am
MANILA, Philippines - A Philippine volcano has spewed ash for the second time in less than a week but there were no signs of any imminent violent eruption, the country's chief volcano expert said Thursday.
- Philippines says notorious bomb-maker killed by rebels Updated: May-06-15 7:44 am
MANILA, Philippines - A Filipino bomb-maker who was one of the country's top terror suspects was killed by Muslim rebels who earlier signed a peace deal with the government, the Philippine military said Wednesday.
- Philippine military chief confirms wanted militant killed Updated: May-04-15 1:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military chief confirmed Monday that wanted Filipino bomb-maker Abdul Basit Usman, who has links to the Indonesian-based Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist network and is a suspect in deadly bomb attacks in the south, has been killed.
- Sadness, disappointment in Philippines after Pacquiao defeat Updated: May-03-15 11:26 am
MANILA, Philippines - Sadness and disappointment gripped Filipinos after Manny Pacquiao's defeat in his much-anticipated fight against American Floyd Mayweather Jr. but they still considered the boxing icon a national hero.
- Filipino baker makes life-sized cake of Pacquiao Updated: May-02-15 1:47 am
MANILA, Philippines - Fans of Manny Pacquiao have a new way of showing how much they love the boxing superstar - by eating him.
- May Day demos staged around the world; Turkey square blocked Updated: May-01-15 1:21 pm
HAVANA - Left-wing groups, governments and trade unions were staging rallies around the world Friday to mark International Workers Day.
- Filipinos urged to turn off appliances during Pacquiao fight Updated: May-01-15 8:56 am
MANILA, Philippines - An officer at a Philippine electric company has urged customers to turn off major appliances to help prevent outages that have recently plagued his province so people can watch the much-awaited fight between Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.
- As Philippine congressman, Pacquiao seen as underachieving Updated: May-01-15 2:29 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao has been an inspiration for millions of Filipinos not just as a boxer, but as a philanthropist. As a politician, not so much.
- Filipino boxers try to follow Pacquiao's path out of poverty Updated: Apr-29-15 4:37 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao's rise from crushing poverty to global fame and fortune has inspired a whole generation of Filipino fighters, who look up to his legend as their dream and boxing as a ticket out of harsh lives and uncertainties.