- House backs striking jail time from underage drinking law Updated: May-05-16 4:19 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Underage Louisianans caught with alcohol can face up to six months in jail under current state law, but that will soon change if lawmakers in the state House have their way.
- Louisiana editorial roundup Updated: May-04-16 4:38 pm
Recent editorials from Louisiana newspapers:
- Lawmakers halt reworked wrongful conviction payout bill Updated: May-04-16 4:09 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Shreveport lawmaker's bid to relax the legal definition under which a person wrongfully convicted of murder in Louisiana could receive state compensation was halted Wednesday by a House committee.
- Electronic driver's license bill moves to Senate for hearing Updated: May-04-16 4:54 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State senators will consider whether Louisiana drivers should be permitted to carry electronic licenses, after the proposal met little resistance from the full House.
- House backs bid to allow national sex survey in high schools Updated: May-03-16 7:32 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State senators will consider whether to allow a national sex survey in Louisiana public high schools.
- 'Raise the Age' bill passes Senate with strong support Updated: May-02-16 7:58 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A bid to raise the adult prosecution age in Louisiana one year to 18 years old has won strong support in the state Senate.
- The Latest: Man defends policy payout after murder-suicide Updated: May-02-16 7:43 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Latest on a lawsuit accusing a Baton Rouge man of improperly collecting a $500,000 payout from his business partner's life insurance policy after the partner killed his estranged wife and himself (all times local):
- Lawmaker shelves bill to give police access to locked phones Updated: May-02-16 7:06 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A proposal to allow criminal investigators with a court order to unlock homicide victims' cellphones has gotten stuck in a House committee, after lawmakers split on the idea.
- Man sued over life insurance payout after murder-suicide Updated: May-02-16 3:13 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A lawsuit claims a Baton Rouge man improperly collected a $500,000 payout from his business partner's life insurance policy after the partner gunned down his estranged wife and shot and killed himself in Connecticut last year.
- Baton Rouge plans $5.1M in repairs to airport parking garage Updated: May-02-16 4:10 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Weeks after the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport began charging higher parking fees, aviation leaders are preparing to move forward with garage repairs.
- Baton Rouge man arrested in August synthetic marijuana death Updated: May-02-16 4:05 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A 20-year-old Baton Rouge man has been arrested on a charge of second-degree murder after officials say he gave another man synthetic marijuana that caused a fatal overdose.
- Correction: Underage Online Lawsuit story Updated: Apr-30-16 11:45 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - In a story April 29 about a federal judge blocking enforcement of a Louisiana criminal law that requires online booksellers, publishers and other website owners to electronically verify customers' ages, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the law was enacted in 2005. The law was enacted in 2015.
- Judge denies new trial for man convicted of killing his wife Updated: Apr-29-16 7:49 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A state judge has ruled a Baker man convicted in 2011 in the 2009 stabbing death of his wife in her downtown Baton Rouge office does not deserve a hearing on his innocence claim or a new trial.
- Baton Rouge police search for man in child abuse case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:40 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Police say a 22-year-old Baton Rouge man is wanted for allegedly burning his 2-year-old son while taking care of the boy last week.
- LGBT anti-discrimination employment bill advances in Senate Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Senators advanced a proposal to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, moments after an initial vote appeared to stall the measure in committee.
- Bid to cut legislative agency costs wins Senate support Updated: Apr-28-16 12:33 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State senators have overwhelmingly backed a bill seeking to cut the spending of a legislative agency whose meetings cost thousands of dollars each year.
- Judge asked to reconsider 50 year sentence on heroin charge Updated: Apr-28-16 8:04 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A 32-year-old Baker man is asking a Baton Rouge state judge to reconsider the 50-year prison term he dealt him last month for attempting to sell heroin.
- House rejects bill to ease voting restrictions for felons Updated: Apr-27-16 7:29 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers in the Louisiana House refused Wednesday to give felons the right to vote as soon as they exit prison.
- Louisiana House supports Planned Parenthood defunding bill Updated: Apr-27-16 6:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - An effort to strip Medicaid financing from Planned Parenthood if the organization starts performing abortions at its New Orleans clinic won the backing Wednesday of the Louisiana House.
- UCA's Emma Svensson invited to NCAA Women's Golf Regional Updated: Apr-26-16 2:11 pm
CONWAY, Arkansas - University of Central Arkansas freshman Emma Svensson has been invited to play in the 2016 NCAA Women's Golf Division I Regionals.
- Lawmakers look to regulate drone use with handful of bills Updated: Apr-26-16 8:41 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana lawmakers are making a bipartisan push to regulate drones, an area where developing technology meets privacy concerns.
- La. Senate advances bill to allow separate courtroom seating Updated: Apr-26-16 4:01 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's Senate has approved a proposal allowing crime victims, crime witnesses or their family members to request courtroom seating separate from defendants, defendants' family members or defense witnesses.
- Feds: Baton Rouge railroad crossing 1 of most crash prone Updated: Apr-25-16 7:59 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Federal officials say a Baton Rouge railroad crossing is one of the most accident-prone crossings in the country, with 13 crashes of trains hitting automobiles in the past decade.
- Judge: La death row inmate not intellectually disabled Updated: Apr-24-16 11:57 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A state judge has ruled that a Baton Rouge man sentenced to death for killing an elderly couple is not intellectually disabled, and therefore may be executed.
- Police: Cuffed kidnap, carjack suspect fatally shoots self Updated: Apr-23-16 7:55 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A handcuffed man shot and killed himself at a Baton Rouge hospital early Saturday after carjacking an acquaintance in New Orleans and kidnapping a second woman at gunpoint, police said.