- Prosecutor: LSU student doesn't want Tiger players charged Updated: Jul-29-15 7:06 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The student in an on-campus apartment break-in involving LSU quarterback Anthony Jennings and two teammates has asked prosecutors not to press charges, East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore said Wednesday.
- Judge upholds 40-year sentence given in child abuse case Updated: Jul-29-15 10:16 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Baton Rouge judge is standing by the 40-year prison term he gave a St. Gabriel woman convicted of abusing her then-20-month-old stepson.
- Amedisys easily beats Wall Street forecast Updated: Jul-29-15 10:08 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Amedisys Inc., a Baton Rouge-based home health and hospice company, increased its second-quarter earnings to $10.6 million, or 32 cents per share, from $7.6 million, or 24 cents a share, a year earlier.
- Baton Rouge airport sees flight decline Updated: Jul-29-15 6:58 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Baton Rouge is one of many cities across the country that has seen the number of flights in and out of its airport drop over the past few years.
- Jindal: Florida Fuel Connection to invest in rail project Updated: Jul-28-15 6:25 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State officials say Florida Fuel Connection LLC will make a $75 million capital investment to build a petroleum terminal and rail transportation facility in East Feliciana Parish, near the Mississippi River.
- Federal judge throws out death sentence in double murder Updated: Jul-28-15 10:52 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A federal judge has overturned Todd Wessinger's death sentence in the shooting deaths two decades ago of restaurant co-workers Stephanie Guzzardo and David Breakwell.
- Ozone alert declared in the Baton Rouge region Updated: Jul-28-15 8:20 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The state Department of Environmental Quality has declared an ozone action day because air pollution could get high enough in the afternoon to cause health problems for some people in the Baton Rouge region.
- Republicans draw in more money for top La. statewide races Updated: Jul-27-15 8:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republicans are outraising Democrats in Louisiana's top two races on the Oct. 24 ballot, for governor and lieutenant governor - and pouring more of their own money into their competitions as well, according to the latest campaign reports.
- Judge stops Caddo Parish judges from enforcing funding order Updated: Jul-27-15 7:18 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Baton Rouge judge has ordered Caddo Parish's criminal court judges must stop ordering the public defender board to fund private lawyers appointed to represent indigent defendants that the public defenders are unable to defend due to conflicts.
- Baton Rouge looking at bike share rental program Updated: Jul-27-15 4:19 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Environmental Protection Agency staff and experts are coming to Baton Rouge to talk about choices for a bike share program that would let people rent and drop off bicycles at kiosks.
- Court: $350K settlement proposed in police injury suit Updated: Jul-26-15 6:56 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A man left permanently brain-damaged after being hit by a policeman has agreed to a $350,000 settlement rather than the $5 million originally sought in his civil rights lawsuit, court documents show.
- La. office cuts payment to pageant, citing fewer TV viewers Updated: Jul-23-15 7:50 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's lieutenant governor says the state tourism office is cutting in half the money it committed to pay the 2015 Miss USA pageant because the pageant was not carried on NBC or Univision as had been planned.
- Website offers window into Baton Rouge government spending Updated: Jul-23-15 10:46 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - East Baton Rouge Parish residents now have a way to know where their tax dollars are going.
- Woman indicted on sex-trafficking counts involving a minor Updated: Jul-23-15 8:04 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A 36-year-old Baton Rouge woman accused of running a sex trafficking business from her home, and prostituting a minor in the process, has been indicted on federal charges.
- Man with 6 DWI convictions headed to prison for 14 ½ years Updated: Jul-23-15 7:50 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A 45-year-old Baker man has been sentenced to 14 1/2 years in state prison for his sixth DWI conviction since 2000.
- Baton Rouge council rejects tax subsidy for hotel proposal Updated: Jul-23-15 7:08 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The East Baton Rouge Parish Metro Council has refused to award a tax-relief incentive to a new hotel. The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/1Km3YfH) the fate of the planned Courtyard by Marriott in the heart of downtown Baton Rouge is unclear.
- Baton Rouge woman gets 38 months for embezzlement Updated: Jul-23-15 4:16 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Federal prosecutors say a 47-year-old Baton Rouge woman has been sentenced to 38 months in prison for embezzling $465,000 from her employer.
- USDA declares 35 Louisiana parishes natural disaster areas Updated: Jul-22-15 7:45 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The U.S. Department of Agriculture has declared a natural disaster involving 35 Louisiana parishes and eight counties in three neighboring states because of rain, floods, high winds and hail from April 27 through June 26.
- Louisiana editorial roundup Updated: Jul-22-15 3:33 pm
Recent editorials from Louisiana newspapers:
- 3 Louisiana hospices selected for new Medicare program Updated: Jul-21-15 6:46 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Three Louisiana hospices are among the more than 140 selected to take part in a new program that allows Medicare members who qualify to receive hospice care while continuing medical treatment.
- Judge: State should pay $137M more to local school districts Updated: Jul-20-15 6:01 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana owes local public schools $137 million because state lawmakers didn't properly pass previous school funding formulas, a state district judge ruled Monday.
- Youngsville considers ways to pay for infrastructure Updated: Jul-20-15 11:22 am
YOUNGSVILLE, Louisiana - Officials are debating whether to levy a fee for each new residential permit issued in Youngsville that would generate income needed to maintain infrastructure in the coming years.
- Baton Rouge, La, man accused of robbing Gloster, Miss, bank Updated: Jul-19-15 9:37 pm
GLOSTER, Mississippi - Police say a man from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is accused of robbing a bank 50 miles north in Gloster, Mississippi.
- Baton Rouge police: drive-by shooters kill 2, injure 2 Updated: Jul-19-15 6:13 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Baton Rouge police say a drive-by shooting has killed two men and injured a third man and a 16-year-old boy.
- Baton Rouge man convicted in prostitute's death Updated: Jul-19-15 11:34 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A man has been convicted in the 2011 strangulation of a Baton Rouge prostitute whose mostly nude body was dumped behind a motel near Interstate 12.