- Hawaii seeks comment on Kauai forest reserve management plan Updated: May-03-15 9:05 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - The state Department of Land and Natural Resources is seeking the public's input on a draft management plan for two forest reserves on Kauai.
- Kauai convenience store known for manju snacks to close Updated: May-02-15 11:40 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Kauai will soon lose a popular convenience store and purveyor of homemade snacks like "Lawai Manju," Spam musubi and chi chi dango.
- Search suspended for man who survived previous ordeal at sea Updated: Apr-28-15 11:04 pm
HONOLULU - For the second time in five months, the Coast Guard has suspended a search for Hawaii fisherman Ron Ingraham.
- Officials to remove pieces of fishing boat from Kapaa canal Updated: Apr-28-15 4:15 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Pieces of what appear to be a Japanese fishing boat are slated for removal after they were found in a Kapaa canal and reported to state Department of Land and Natural Resources.
- Twice-stung neighbor seeks damages from former beekeeper Updated: Apr-28-15 4:05 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - A man with a bee allergy is suing his neighbor, saying there's little difference to him between a bee and a bullet.
- Family donates 40 acres of taro land to trust Updated: Apr-24-15 2:13 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - A Hawaii family has donated two perpetual conservation easements to place permanent restrictions on the land use of 40 acres of wetland used for taro production.
- Group raises $200K to fight proposed Kauai dairy farm Updated: Apr-22-15 3:55 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - A group fighting a proposed grass-fed Kauai dairy will hire experts to study the project's environmental impacts.
- 1 of Kauai's oldest nene dead after being struck by vehicle Updated: Apr-20-15 3:26 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - One of Kauai's oldest nene has died after being struck by a vehicle.
- Kauai commissions $214,000 traffic study Updated: Apr-20-15 12:32 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Kauai will spend $214,000 to study traffic problems plaguing the island's North Shore and South Shore.
- Kauai bed and breakfast operators want clear permit laws Updated: Apr-15-15 6:31 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Nearly two dozen Kauai residents operating bed and breakfasts and other visitor accommodations are asking county planning commissioners to come up with clear permit rules and procedures for their businesses.
- Correction: Hawaiian Artifacts story Updated: Apr-15-15 1:13 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - In a story April 9 about Hawaiian artifacts retrieved from a sunken royal yacht, The Associated Press reported erroneously when field work was completed. The project ended in 2000, not 2001 as the AP was originally told by Richard Rogers, a Hawaii shipwreck chaser who worked with scientists from the Smithsonian Institution to bring up the artifacts from the ship owned by King Kamehameha II. Paul F. Johnston, Ph.D., Curator of Maritime History at the National Museum of American History Smithsonian Institution, says the work was completed in 2000.
- Hawaii hires contractor to remove grounded sailboat Updated: Apr-08-15 9:05 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - The state Department of Land and Natural Resources has hired a contractor to remove a 55-foot sailboat that ran aground off Kauai earlier this month.
- Agency proposes work to protect Kauai trail from erosion Updated: Apr-07-15 6:47 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wants to reinforce a trail at Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge on Kauai to protect it from erosion.