- $2.4 million grant to help SUNO boost academic performance Updated: Sep-01-15 5:06 am
NEW ORLEANS - Southern University at New Orleans is receiving a five-year, $2.4 million federal grant to fund a student support services program.
- Police: Mother of 2-year-old found alone on sidewalk charged Updated: Sep-01-15 4:34 am
NEW ORLEANS - Authorities say the mother of a 2-year-old girl found alone in eastern New Orleans has been charged with child desertion.
- Prosecutors' web posts at issue again in politician's appeal Updated: Sep-01-15 4:34 am
NEW ORLEANS - A woman who served in Louisiana's state House and the New Orleans City Council before being convicted of corruption in 2011 is seeking a new trial at a federal appeals court.
- Fos to retire as University of New Orleans president Updated: Aug-31-15 5:58 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The president of the University of New Orleans has announced that he will retire in January - four years after he took the helm amid lower post-Hurricane Katrina enrollment, turmoil over budget cuts and leadership changes.
- Public meetings in Ala, Miss, La about 2017 oil lease sale Updated: Aug-31-15 10:55 am
NEW ORLEANS - The federal government is holding public meetings this week in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana as it works on a supplemental environmental impact statement for an oil lease sale tentatively planned for 2017.
- Texans take preseason win over Saints 27-13 Updated: Aug-30-15 10:30 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Brian Hoyer sounded pleased about his first game as the Houston Texans' designated starter.
- 1 Sharper codefendant asks case split from 2nd codefendant's Updated: Aug-30-15 8:19 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A former waiter accused in state court of raping two women with former New Orleans Saints safety Darren Sharper is asking a judge to divide the federal case against him from that of a former sheriff's deputy.
- Benson adds $522M to Saints-Pelicans ownership swap Updated: Aug-30-15 7:42 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The owner of New Orleans' national football and basketball teams has added $522 million in promissory notes to his former heirs' trust funds to try to get back the trusts' nonvoting shares in the Saints and Pelicans.
- New Orleans, Gulf coast mark Katrina milestone Updated: Aug-30-15 6:22 am
NEW ORLEANS - The Gulf Coast and New Orleans observed the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, one of the deadliest storms in American history, in ways both devout and festive. Church bells rang and brass bands played as people across the storm-ravaged coast remembered the past and looked to the future.
- The Latest: Clinton: Celebrate progress but continue work Updated: Aug-29-15 8:43 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The latest in the 10th anniversary commemorations of Hurricane Katrina (all times local):
- Saints testing potential of ex-basketball player Manhertz Updated: Aug-28-15 7:05 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton couldn't resist trying out another former college basketball player at tight end.
- George W. Bush visits disaster zone, 10 years after Katrina Updated: Aug-28-15 6:18 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Former President George W. Bush enjoyed sympathetic audiences in New Orleans and Mississippi on Friday as he returned to the region where Hurricane Katrina sank his popularity 10 years ago.
- Katrina-scattered families rebuild separately and together Updated: Aug-28-15 2:50 pm
HOUSTON - Bunk beds dominate the narrow living room of Chevelle Washington's modest three-bedroom brick townhouse apartment. A large box in the corner is piled high with kids' shoes. The 51-year-old is raising six of her grandchildren. Her home is a refuge, a haven.
- The Latest: Former President Bush arrives in Mississippi Updated: Aug-28-15 2:14 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The latest on former President George W. Bush's trip to New Orleans and Gulfport, Mississippi, to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina (all times local):
- Bridgewater celebrates New Orleans on Katrina anniversary Updated: Aug-28-15 11:31 am
Dee Dee Bridgewater, "Dee Dee's Feathers" (OKeh/Sony Music/DDB Records)
- Beyond gumbo: New Orleans restaurants rebound post-Katrina Updated: Aug-28-15 9:11 am
NEW ORLEANS - Talk to folks on the street about the "holy trinity" and you're as likely to get a lesson on onions, celery and peppers as you are Catholicism. That's New Orleans, a city where eating has long been a serious business.
- Associated Press photographers reflect on Katrina coverage Updated: Aug-28-15 6:05 am
NEW ORLEANS - With Hurricane Katrina headed for the Gulf Coast in late August 2005, The Associated Press deployed dozens of staffers to support its New Orleans and Mississippi bureaus.
- Romanian man pleads guilty to bank fraud by ATM 'skimming' Updated: Aug-28-15 4:17 am
NEW ORLEANS - Federal prosecutors in New Orleans say a 37-year-old Romanian man has pleaded guilty to bank fraud through ATM "skimming" devices.
- Judge: Government should pay $3 billion to repair wetlands Updated: Aug-27-15 9:46 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A judge ruled Thursday that the federal government should foot the bill - tagged at about $3 billion - for fixing damage done to wetlands just outside New Orleans by a shipping channel the Army Corps of Engineers dug in the 1960s.
- Obama to people of New Orleans: You inspire me, and America Updated: Aug-27-15 9:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Visiting residents on tidy porch stoops and sampling the fried chicken at a corner restaurant, President Barack Obama held out the people of New Orleans on Thursday as an extraordinary example of renewal and resilience 10 years after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.
- Longtime Saints recall the team's role in Katrina recovery Updated: Aug-27-15 6:03 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Coming off a career-threatening injury, Drew Brees had little choice but to sign with a downtrodden franchise in a disaster zone. Sean Payton became coach of the Saints only after being passed over for the job he really wanted in Green Bay.
- Saints seeking to ramp up pass rush as regular season nears Updated: Aug-27-15 5:14 pm
METAIRIE, Louisiana - Sack-less through two preseason games, the New Orleans Saints have ratcheted up concerns about their lack of a pass rush this week.
- Environment groups: Settlement not final in oil leak lawsuit Updated: Aug-27-15 4:13 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The latest about a potential settlement of a lawsuit by environmental groups against a New Orleans company that failed to end a decade-old leak in the Gulf of Mexico (all times local)
- Settlement reached in lawsuit over decade-old Gulf oil leak Updated: Aug-27-15 12:36 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Environmental groups and a New Orleans company that failed to end a decade-old oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico have reached a settlement agreement in a lawsuit over the slow-motion spill.
- Police: Woman killed her cousin on New Orleans porch Updated: Aug-27-15 9:08 am
NEW ORLEANS - Authorities say a 37-year-old woman has been arrested in connection with the stabbing death of her cousin in New Orleans.