- Syrian troops capture village near northern city of Aleppo Updated: Feb-13-16 5:26 pm
BEIRUT - Syrian government forces on Saturday captured another village near Aleppo, tightening the noose around rebel-held parts of the northern city, Syrian state TV and an opposition activist group said.
- AP News Guide: Diplomats push as Syria battlefield shifts Updated: Feb-12-16 2:53 pm
Diplomats from a dozen countries, led by the United States and Russia, are struggling to make progress in Syria, even as fighting in the north sends tens of thousands fleeing and threatens a deepening humanitarian crisis. Next month, Syria's civil war will reach the end of its fifth year, and its consequences continue to reach new and disastrous levels.
- Aniseh Makhlouf, mother of Syria's Assad, dies Updated: Feb-06-16 3:21 pm
BEIRUT - Aniseh Makhlouf, Syria's former first lady and the mother of current President Bashar Assad, died Saturday, the presidency announced. She was 86.
- In Mideast wars, hunger grips millions across the region Updated: Jan-29-16 5:40 am
BEIRUT - In a Middle East torn apart by war and conflict, fighters are increasingly using food as a weapon of war.
- Despite patrols, sealing Greek sea border is near impossible Updated: Jan-24-16 3:18 pm
CHIOS, Greece - In the inky nighttime blackness, a small red dot appears on the radar screen, moving fast.
- Germany charges Syrian man for abduction of UN observer Updated: Jan-22-16 10:16 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors said Friday a 24-year-old Syrian man has been charged with war crimes for allegedly taking part in the kidnapping of a United Nations observer in the Damascus area in 2013.
- In besieged Syrian city, hungry residents sell gold for food Updated: Jan-19-16 5:19 pm
BEIRUT - In Syria's eastern city of Deir el-Zour, supplies are running so short that desperate residents are selling their gold, valuables and even their homes for food or an exit permit allowing them to escape a siege by both government troops and Islamic State militants.