- Many feared killed by rebels in Damascus suburb Updated: Dec-13-13 7:22 am
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack Updated: Dec-12-13 11:47 pm
- Film taking aim at Saudi monarchy opens in Syria Updated: Dec-12-13 4:35 pm
- Syrian refugees in Lebanon bundle up against storm Updated: Dec-11-13 11:50 am
- Weapons watchdog receives Nobel Peace Prize Updated: Dec-10-13 5:27 pm
- Yardsmart: Shrines are a divine way to add spirituality... Updated: Dec-09-13 3:21 pm
- Seizure of nuns stokes Syrian Christian fears Updated: Dec-08-13 12:32 pm
- All Syrian chemical weapons munitions destroyed Updated: Dec-06-13 12:44 pm
- Cyr: Iran accord underscores Turkey's importance Updated: Dec-06-13 11:20 am
- Syrian refugees flee for safety through the desert Updated: Dec-05-13 5:30 pm
- Syrian refugees face another harsh winter in camp Updated: Dec-03-13 5:26 pm
- Fear in Syrian capital as mortar shells rain down Updated: Nov-28-13 1:42 pm
- Syria government welcomes Iran nuclear deal Updated: Nov-24-13 4:50 am
- UN to Syria: Stop blocking aid convoys Updated: Nov-19-13 4:53 pm
- Assad gaining ground in Syrian civil war Updated: Nov-16-13 12:17 pm
- Albania refuses to accept Syria's chemical weapons Updated: Nov-15-13 5:41 pm
BEIRUT - Syria's state media and an opposition activist group say many civilians are feared dead in a town near Damascus after parts of it were captured by Islamic rebels.
UNITED NATIONS - Chemical weapons were probably used in four locations in Syria this year, in addition to the confirmed attack near Damascus in August that forced the government to abandon its secret chemical stockpile, U.N. inspectors said in a report released Thursday.
DAMASCUS, Syria - Syria is hitting back at Saudi Arabia for supporting rebels who want to topple President Bashar Assad by promoting an English-language movie that depicts the founder of the monarchy as a bloodthirsty womanizer.
MARJ, Lebanon - A blustery storm dropped torrential rain and snow on Lebanon and Jordan on Wednesday, forcing aid agencies to scramble to distribute desperately needed winter supplies like blankets and plastic tarps to Syrian refugees who have sought safe haven in the countries.
OSLO, Norway - Recalling the "burning, blinding and suffocating" horrors of chemical weapons, the head of a watchdog trying to consign them to history accepted the Nobel Peace Prize on Tuesday, as prize winners in medicine, physics and other categories also took bows for their awards.
You see her image all over Mexico from taxi rearview mirrors to T-shirts and tattoos. She is Our Lady of Guadalupe, the patron of Latin America, celebrated every year on her feast day, December 12. I know her well for this is my birthday, too, and all my life her image has been a part of my spiritual world. As a horticulturist, I am keen on the role of plants in this miracle, and that's why there will always be a small corner of my garden dedicated to her.
DAMASCUS - Syrian Christians offered prayers Sunday for a group of more than a dozen nuns and orphanage workers held by rebels for nearly a week, fueling fears in the minority community that they are being targeted by extremists among the fighters seeking to oust President Bashar Assad.
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The international chemical weapons watchdog announced Friday it has verified the destruction of all of Syria's unfilled munitions - another milestone along the road to eradicating President Bashar Assad's chemical weapons program by mid-2014.
12-06-13 - The international agreement to restrain Iran's nuclear program has generated anxiety in Israel and elsewhere. Middle East uncertainty underscores the growing importance of Turkey, a democracy with strong ties to both Iran and the West.
EASTERN JORDAN - As evening gathers across a desert plain in eastern Jordan, 80-year-old Muteea Talaa stands with 200 other starved, cold and wet refugees on the Syrian side of a muddy ditch marking the border between the two countries, waiting for a signal from a Jordanian army patrol to cross over.
ZAATARI CAMP, Jordan - Cranes are lifting trailers into place and tents are being packed away as international aid workers rush to winterize a Syrian refugee camp in Jordan - trying to avoid a repeat of last year when three days of torrential rain turned the massive site into a muddy swamp.
DAMASCUS, Syria - They fall randomly, often during rush hour, smashing into schools, businesses, churches and homes in the Syrian capital and leaving a trail of death and terror in their wake.
DAMASCUS, Syria - Syria's state media says Damascus welcomes the international community's nuclear deal with Iran, calling it a "historic agreement."
UNITED NATIONS - The General Assembly's human rights committee demanded Tuesday that Syria's government immediately allow humanitarian aid to be delivered to areas throughout the country that need it most and stop hampering distribution with "bureaucratic impediments and other obstacles."
BEIRUT - Forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad have firmly seized the momentum in the country's civil war in recent weeks, capturing one rebel stronghold after another and triumphantly planting the two-starred Syrian government flag amid shattered buildings and rubble-strewn streets.
TIRANA, Albania - The mission to destroy Syria's poison gas stockpile was dealt a serious blow Friday when Albania refused to host the destruction, but the global chemical weapons watchdog said it is still confident it can eradicate the arsenal outside Syria by the middle of next year.