- US declares Aleppo cease-fire, Syria says only for 48 hours Updated: May-04-16 5:17 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Sporadic violence persisted in Aleppo on Wednesday as U.S. officials announced an agreement had been reached with Russia to extend Syria's fragile cease-fire to the deeply contested northern city. The Syrian military said the truce would last only 48 hours.
- US announces extension of Syria truce to Aleppo Updated: May-04-16 4:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States and Russia have persuaded Syria's government and moderate rebels to extend the country's fragile truce to the northern city of Aleppo, the State Department said Wednesday, although sporadic clashes continue.
- The Latest: UN: Bombing of Aleppo among worst of Syrian war Updated: May-04-16 3:08 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on Syria's civil war (all times local):
- US once again forced to turn to Russia for help on Syria Updated: May-01-16 4:15 pm
GENEVA - Scrambling to resuscitate a nearly dead truce in Syria, the Obama administration has again been forced to turn to Russia for help, with little hope for the desired U.S. outcome.
- American state senator meets with Syrian President Assad Updated: Apr-28-16 2:01 pm
BEIRUT - Syrian President Bashar Assad scored a minor, if bizarre, publicity victory Thursday, receiving a part-time state senator from America at a time when U.S. officials have repeatedly asserted Assad has lost his legitimacy to rule the war-torn country.
- In Damascus, an uneasy stability boosts Syria's Assad Updated: Apr-23-16 10:49 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - Looking out from the Syrian capital these days, one can understand why President Bashar Assad would be in no hurry to make concessions at peace talks in Geneva, let alone consider stepping down as the opposition demands.
- Plucked from the uncertainty of Lesbos: 12 Syrian refugees Updated: Apr-16-16 5:11 pm
ROME - Pope Francis says his gesture is "a drop of water in the sea" of Europe's migration crisis. Yet for 12 Syrian refugees, the pope's decision to fly them back to Italy from Greece is an act of kindness that will resonate for the rest of their lives.
- The Latest: Syrians thank pope for bringing them to Italy Updated: Apr-16-16 2:55 pm
MYTILENE, Greece - The Latest on Pope Francis' visit to the Greek island of Lesbos (all times local):
- Grim new details of IS destruction in Syria's Palmyra museum Updated: Apr-16-16 10:26 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - The first foreign experts who visited the museum in Palmyra after it was taken over from Islamic State militants said they spent a week collecting fragments of priceless broken sculptures from the museum grounds and preparing them for transportation to Damascus in a rescue mission they hope will help salvage most of its contents.
- AP INTERVIEW: Top Syrian official rules out Assad departure Updated: Apr-13-16 5:15 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - A top Syrian official said on Wednesday that the opposition has to let go of its "dream" for a transitional government, saying that such a thing amounts to a coup d'etat and "will never be accepted."