- Image of Asia: Gathering fallen leaves to make charcoal Updated: Nov-25-15 8:09 am
In this photo by Mukhtar Khan, women collect dry leaves of willow, poplar and maple trees on the outskirts of Srinagar in Indian-controlled Kashmir. Kashmiris collect fallen leaves in autumn to make charcoal for keeping themselves warm and cooking during winter. The dried leaves are half burnt to get charcoal. Kashmiris use "kangri" pots filled with hot charcoal embers and carried beneath their traditional clothing for personal warmth. Winter temperatures typically drop below freezing in the Himalayan territory and heavy snows make roads impassable.
- AP staffers win prestigious Indian journalism awards Updated: Nov-25-15 6:06 am
NEW DELHI - Two Associated Press journalists are among the winners of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards, India's most prestigious, for work exposing the public health and environmental damage done by the country's asbestos industry and capturing the devastation of last year's floods in the Kashmir region.
- Helicopter crash kills Hindu pilgrims in Indian Kashmir Updated: Nov-23-15 4:31 am
SRINAGAR, India - A helicopter flying pilgrims from a mountain temple dedicated to a Hindu goddess crashed Monday, killing seven people in the Indian-controlled portion of Kashmir.
- 1 dead in Kashmir protest as India's leader promises aid Updated: Nov-07-15 10:58 am
SRINAGAR, India - Protesters clashed with government troops in Indian-controlled Kashmir on Saturday, killing one demonstrator, shortly after Prime Minister Narendra Modi ended a daylong visit in which he promised $12 billion in aid to the troubled region.
- Indian police detain hundreds before Modi visits Kashmir Updated: Nov-04-15 6:21 am
SRINAGAR, India - Indian authorities detained key separatist leaders and hundreds of their supporters to prevent them from holding a protest rally during a visit by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Kashmir this weekend, police said Wednesday.
- India says 2 soldiers killed by Pakistani firing in Kashmir Updated: Nov-02-15 11:08 am
SRINAGAR, India - The Indian army says two of its soldiers were killed by Pakistani firing along the heavily militarized de facto border dividing Kashmir between the two countries.
- Protests hit Kashmir after India says it killed top rebel Updated: Oct-29-15 4:15 am
SRINAGAR, India - A top rebel leader in Kashmir was killed in a gunbattle with Indian forces Thursday, triggering street protests in the disputed Himalayan region, police said.