- Feds indict cop, alleged members of Gangster Disciples Updated: May-04-16 6:12 pm
ATLANTA - Among the four dozen alleged Gangster Disciples members charged in indictments unsealed Wednesday, one sticks out: An Atlanta-area police officer who prosecutors say claimed to be a hit man for the violent gang and tipped off other members about police activity.
- Sidelined: LGBT laws, NCAA policy could keep teams at home Updated: May-04-16 6:05 pm
Teams could pull out of scheduled NCAA events this spring because of new state laws in North Carolina, Mississippi and Tennessee while the sport's governing body's demands for discrimination-free environments at the places where its events are held won't take effect until the fall.
- Group discusses solutions to violence among black men, boys Updated: May-04-16 6:04 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Mayors, city officials and nonprofit leaders from across the country are meeting in downtown Birmingham to discuss ways to address violence among black men and boys.
- GM to resume production at 4 plants idled by Japan quakes Updated: May-04-16 5:46 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - General Motors is on track to resume full operations at four North American plants where vehicle assembly has been halted because of supply chain interruptions caused by earthquakes in Japan.
- 24-year sentence for Tennessee man in human trafficking case Updated: May-04-16 4:52 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The U.S. Justice Department says a Tennessee man who pleaded guilty in a human trafficking case has been sentenced to 24½ years in prison by a federal judge in New Orleans.
- Georgia governor's vetoes on guns, faith bucked his GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:47 pm
ATLANTA - When Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal recently vetoed bills allowing guns on college campuses and shielding religious people who deny people services based on their faith, he was directly bucking his fellow Republican lawmakers, who overwhelmingly supported the proposals, and possibly losing points with his conservative political base.
- The Latest: Alleged Gangster Disciples indicted in 2 states Updated: May-04-16 2:37 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on the indictment of alleged members of the Gangster Disciples gang (all times local):
- 14K driver's licenses revoked in Clarksville area Updated: May-04-16 2:21 pm
CLARKSVILLE, Tennessee - Thousands of people in the Clarksville area have received surprise notices in the mail that their licenses have been revoked because records show they have not paid court fines and fees dating back to 2012.
- Ex-Vandy RB Brian Kimbrow leaves Middle Tennessee's team Updated: May-04-16 2:16 pm
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee - Former Vanderbilt running back Brian Kimbrow has left Middle Tennessee's football program.
- Memphis police investigating arrest of man recording them Updated: May-04-16 12:28 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Police Department's Internal Affairs bureau is investigating after a video was posted online that appears to show officers arresting a man who was recording them with his cellphone.
- Cyndi Lauper adds country record to her multifaceted career Updated: May-04-16 10:56 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Pop singer, songwriter and Broadway musical composer Cyndi Lauper added a little country twang to her signature Queens accent.
- Graceland, home of Elvis, receives 20 millionth paid visitor Updated: May-04-16 7:20 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The operators of Graceland say the Memphis tourist attraction centered on the life and music of Elvis Presley has received its 20 millionth paid visitor.
- State targets Republicans in spending for Facebook ads Updated: May-04-16 4:51 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The state's economic development agency has spent more than $18,000 on Facebook ads aimed at supporters of Tennessee's top Republican officials, and none on Democrats.
- Predators beat Sharks 4-1, pull within 2-1 in series Updated: May-04-16 1:02 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Nashville Predators finally figured out how to shut down the NHL's best road team and a pretty potent power play. As a result, they have given themselves a chance to tie their second-round series.
- As Big 12 ponders expansion, American on guard for losses Updated: May-03-16 7:01 pm
The Big 12 presidents will consider in the coming weeks whether the league should expand, leaving the American Athletic Conference on guard for the possibility of one or more defections.
- Judge drops 1 claim from UT lawsuit, rest of case proceeds Updated: May-03-16 5:51 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A federal judge has dismissed one of dozens of claims in a Title IX lawsuit filed against Tennessee while denying the rest of the school's motion to dismiss.
- Graham: Go to polls and vote for 'lesser of 2 heathens' Updated: May-03-16 4:36 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Evangelist Franklin Graham told a crowd of thousands at the Tennessee Capitol on Tuesday to pray for the country and vote for candidates that stand for biblical principles.
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn Updated: May-03-16 4:25 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee has signed former Winthrop player Schaquilla (pronounced Sha-KWEE-la) Nunn as a graduate transfer, a move that should boost the Lady Volunteers' frontcourt depth next season.
- With high caseloads, county public defenders limit new cases Updated: May-03-16 1:50 pm
FRANKLIN, Tennessee - Assistant public defenders in Williamson County are taking on fewer new cases after they said they have been faced with increasing caseloads.
- Health officials put 4 under home quarantine for measles Updated: May-03-16 1:18 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi officials are monitoring four residents exposed to measles in Tennessee.
- Officials investigate body found near trail as homicide Updated: May-03-16 12:11 pm
ALTAMONT, Tennessee - Authorities are investigating the death of a woman whose body was found lying near a wooded trail in Grundy County as a homicide.
- Lawsuit: Salon shampoo license requirement doesn't wash Updated: May-03-16 11:21 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - When in the course of human events someone wants to give a shampoo at a salon, a conservative think tank says they shouldn't have to get a license.
- Concerts in Tennessee to live-stream in Chicago Updated: May-03-16 10:42 am
Three concerts will be live-streamed from Tennessee into high-traffic areas in Chicago later this month in what promoters are calling "the first long-distance concert of its kind."
- Nashville detective charged with DUI, decommissioned Updated: May-03-16 7:03 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A Nashville youth services police detective has been arrested on charges including DUI and decommissioned from the department.
- Big South Fork offers assistance to visit remote cemeteries Updated: May-03-16 4:10 am
ONEIDA, Tennessee - Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area says it help relatives who want to visit remote cemeteries and do some minor cleanup of family members' graves on Friday and Saturday.