- Turkish President Erdogan approves interim government Updated: Aug-28-15 3:19 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday approved an interim government that will lead Turkey into a new election in November, paving the way for two legislators from Turkey's pro-Kurdish party to take up ministerial posts for the first time.
- Shots fired at police guarding Istanbul palace; officer hurt Updated: Aug-19-15 11:34 am
ISTANBUL - Turkish police arrested two people Wednesday after a hand grenade was hurled and shots were fired at officers guarding Istanbul's Dolmabahce Palace, an Ottoman-era palace that is a major tourist attraction, the Istanbul governor's office said. One police officer was slightly injured, according to the country's state-run news agency.
- Turkey's Erdogan takes a gamble, eyes a new election Updated: Aug-18-15 3:14 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan appeared a shadow of his former self after his party suffered major losses in the June election - embattled and no longer in control of his political fate. His once-dominant movement was forced into the humiliating position of seeking a coalition with opposition parties intent on reining him in.
- Muslim scholars call for climate action Updated: Aug-18-15 11:13 am
ISTANBUL - Muslim scholars and environmental advocates from about 20 countries on Tuesday called for a global phase-out of greenhouse gas emissions by mid-century, joining a chorus of religious leaders urging the world to take strong action against global warming.
- Day of violence in Turkey leaves at least 9 dead Updated: Aug-10-15 3:49 pm
ISTANBUL - Two female assailants opened fire at the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul on Monday and at least six Turkish security forces were killed elsewhere in a day of heavy violence in Turkey, where a government crackdown has targeted Islamic State militants, Kurdish rebels and far-left extremists.
- Report: 7 hurt in bomb attack at Istanbul police station Updated: Aug-09-15 9:59 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A bomb attack at a police station in Istanbul injured five police officers and two civilians, Turkey's state-run Anadolu Agency reported.