- Students in Libya say slain teacher inspired them Updated: Dec-06-13 1:19 am
- Mandela, anti-apartheid icon, mourned world over Updated: Dec-06-13 1:04 am
- Major events in the life of Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 12:29 am
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 9:58 pm
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 9:47 pm
- Obama offers condolences to South Africa's Zuma Updated: Dec-05-13 9:06 pm
- Teacher shot in Libya grew up in suburban Detroit Updated: Dec-05-13 8:52 pm
- Woods says meeting Mandela "inspiring time" Updated: Dec-05-13 8:12 pm
- What you might not have known about Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 7:59 pm
- Gracious and tough, Mandela was fun to cover Updated: Dec-05-13 7:54 pm
- Clashes sweep Central Africa Republic capital Updated: Dec-05-13 7:53 pm
- Milwaukee alderman mourns death of Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 7:39 pm
- Boxing great Muhammad Ali pays tribute to Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 7:27 pm
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi Updated: Dec-05-13 7:06 pm
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey Updated: Dec-05-13 6:49 pm
- President Obama's comments about death of Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 6:31 pm
- Glance at Mandela's co-defendants in Rivonia trial Updated: Dec-05-13 6:30 pm
- Mandela inspired music, movies, poems Updated: Dec-05-13 5:59 pm
- George W. Bush pays tribute to Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 5:40 pm
- AP PHOTOS: Art honoring Mandela around the world Updated: Dec-05-13 5:38 pm
- US teacher killed in Libya planned to visit Texas Updated: Dec-05-13 5:35 pm
- 5 key moments in Mandela's life Updated: Dec-05-13 5:27 pm
- Major events in the life of Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 5:26 pm
- Nelson Mandela, 20th century colossus, dies at 95 Updated: Dec-05-13 5:04 pm
- Teacher killed in Libya earned degree at Texas Updated: Dec-05-13 4:04 pm
TRIPOLI, Libya - An American chemistry teacher killed while jogging in Benghazi looked forward to his first Christmas in the United States with his wife and toddler son.
In nearly seven decades spent fighting for freedom and equality, Nelson Mandela inspired and challenged the world to stand up for others. As word of Mandela's death spread, current and former presidents, athletes and entertainers, and people around the world spoke about the life and legacy of the former South African leader.
July 18, 1918 - Born to Hendry Mphakanyiswa, a Thembu chief, and Nosekeni Qunu in the Umtata district of the Transkei, at a time when virtually all of Africa was under European colonial rule.
JOHANNESBURG - As the news of Nelson Mandela's death spread across South Africa, residents of the black township of Soweto gathered in the streets near the house where he once lived, singing and dancing to mourn his death and celebrate his colossal life.
WASHINGTON - Counting himself among the millions influenced by Nelson Mandela, President Barack Obama on Thursday mourned the death of the anti-apartheid icon with whom he shares the distinction of being his nation's first black president.
WARREN, Michigan - A Michigan-raised teacher who was shot to death while jogging in Benghazi, Libya, was "very excited about the work he was doing" in the North African nation, a close friend said Thursday.
THOUSAND OAKS, California - Tiger Woods said the death of Nelson Mandela was "a sad day for many people," especially those who had the chance to meet him.
The world knows Nelson Mandela as a man who forever changed the course of modern history and who will surely continue to leave his mark long after his death Thursday at the age of 95.
NEW YORK - The thing about Nelson Mandela was that he made the rest of us want to be almost as noble as he.
BANGUI, Central African Republic - Wielding rifles and machetes, armed Christian fighters who support the Central African Republic's exiled president assaulted the capital at dawn on Thursday, leaving nearly 100 people dead. Shrouded bodies were lined up in a mosque as dozens of wounded lay on blood-stained hospital floors.
MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee alderman who serves as honorary consul to South Africa from Wisconsin says Nelson Mandela "was a shining example to us all."
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Muhammad Ali paid tribute to Nelson Mandela as a symbol of forgiveness who inspired others to "reach for what appeared to be impossible," as the boxing great joined in mourning the death of the South African anti-apartheid leader Thursday.
TRIPOLI, Libya - An American chemistry teacher was shot to death as he was jogging in Benghazi on Thursday, highlighting persistently tenuous security in the eastern Libyan city where the U.S. ambassador was killed last year.
JOHANNESBURG - He emerged into bright winter sunshine, stepped onto the lush field and pulled on a cap. His long-sleeve green rugby jersey was untucked and buttoned right up to the top, a style all his own. On the back, a gold No. 6, big and bold.
President Barack Obama on Thursday mourned the death of South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, the anti-apartheid icon. Obama made a somber appearance at the White House to talk about the loss of Mandela with whom he shares the distinction of being his nation's first black president.
JOHANNESBURG - Most of the seven men sentenced with Nelson Mandela to life in prison for sabotage and plotting to overthrow the white government were arrested in July 1963 during a police raid on their headquarters, a farm in the Johannesburg suburb of Rivonia.
NEW YORK - Heroic in his deeds, graceful in his manner, sainted in his image, Nelson Mandela long served as both cause and muse in the entertainment community.
An Indian artist wishes Nelson Mandela improved health with a portrait sculpted from sand during his treatment in June for what the South African government has said is a lung infection. Colorful murals of South Africa's first black president adorn walls in the cities of Johannesburg and Cape Town. A snow-dusted bronze likeness stands with arms outstretched in London's Parliament Square.
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas church where a chemistry teacher killed in Benghazi had worked before moving to Libya says he planned to visit before Christmas.
JOHANNESBURG - Nelson Mandela, the anti-apartheid leader who became South Africa's first black president, was regarded as one of the great figures of the past century for his generosity of spirit, sacrifices in the name of equality and his efforts to reconcile the races in South Africa amid the ever-present specter of conflict.
July 18, 1918 - Born to Hendry Mphakanyiswa, a Thembu chief, and Nosekeni Qunu in the Umtata district of the Transkei, at a time when virtually all of Africa was under European colonial rule
JOHANNESBURG - Nelson Mandela, who became one of the world's most beloved statesmen and a colossus of the 20th century when he emerged from 27 years in prison to negotiate an end to white minority rule in South Africa, has died. He was 95.
AUSTIN, Texas - The University of Texas says an American teacher shot to death while jogging in Libya earned a master's degree from the school in 2006.