- Lost Australian sheep yields 42 kilos (93 pounds) of fleece Updated: Sep-02-15 9:16 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - A shearer says an overgrown sheep found lost in Australian scrubland has been shorn for perhaps the first time, yielding 42 kilograms (93 pounds) of wool.
- Correction: Australia-Obit-Great Escape story Updated: Sep-02-15 4:52 am
CANBERRA, Australia - In a story Aug. 28 about a World War II Australian pilot who took part in a mass escape from a German prison camp, The Associated Press reported erroneously that one of the three prisoners who successfully made it home was Danish. He was, in fact, Dutch.
- China slowdown weighs on Australian growth in second quarter Updated: Sep-02-15 1:49 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's economy grew a slower-than-expected 0.2 percent in the three months through June, dragged down by waning Chinese demand for resources including iron ore and coal, government figures showed Wednesday.
- No pressure for Japan coach ahead of World Cup qualifiers Updated: Sep-01-15 9:39 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Despite a disappointing start to his tenure as Japan coach, Vahid Halilhodzic has been told by the Japan football association that his job is not under threat ahead of Thursday's World Cup qualifier against Cambodia.
- Retired Roman Catholic archbishop dies in Rhode Island Updated: Sep-01-15 2:55 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rev. George H. Pearce, a former bishop-in-residence of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence and an archbishop emeritus of Suva in Fiji, has died. He was 94.
- WWII vet transmitted news of Japanese surrender 70 years ago Updated: Sep-01-15 11:35 am
MECHANICVILLE, New York - Stephen Dennis enlisted in the Navy soon after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941. Less than a year later, the raw 19-year-old recruit was thrust into fighting off the Solomon Islands and survived one of the fiercest naval battles in the South Pacific.
- Australia coach worried over pay dispute ahead of qualifier Updated: Sep-01-15 5:29 am
PERTH, Australia - Coach Ange Postecoglou is concerned that a bitter pay dispute between players and Football Federation Australia has impinged on Australia's preparation for Thursday's World Cup qualifying match against Bangladesh.
- Denmark's Thomas Sorensen joins Melbourne City Updated: Aug-31-15 12:35 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Former Aston Villa and Denmark goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen has signed a two-year deal to play for Melbourne City in Australian football's A-League.
- Team New Zealand wins 2nd America's Cup World Series stop Updated: Aug-30-15 4:36 pm
GOTHENBURG, Sweden - Emirates Team New Zealand won the second America's Cup World Series stop of the year after finishing second and first in Sunday's races.
- 12-time Melbourne Cup-winning trainer Bart Cummings dies Updated: Aug-30-15 10:54 am
SYDNEY - Bart Cummings, one of Australia's most successful racehorse trainers who won the Melbourne Cup a record 12 times, has died at the age of 87.
- The Latest: Canada asks for release of Al-Jazeera defendant Updated: Aug-29-15 7:47 am
CAIRO - Here are the latest developments in Egypt's retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists (all times local):
- Ronda Rousey's next fight moved up to Nov. 15 in Australia Updated: Aug-29-15 3:29 am
LOS ANGELES - Ronda Rousey's next UFC fight against Holly Holm has been moved up to Nov. 15 in Melbourne, Australia.
- Australian Olympic Committee extends ban on sleeping drugs Updated: Aug-28-15 2:25 am
SYDNEY - Australia Olympians for next year's Rio Games will be banned from taking sleeping drugs from the time they're selected for the national team.
- FFA gives Brisbane Roar's Indonesia owners final warning Updated: Aug-28-15 2:06 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Football Federation Australia has told the Indonesian owners of Brisbane Roar that they will lose control of the A-League club if its financial problems are not addressed immediately.
- Jedinak among 3 players ruled out of Socceroos match Updated: Aug-27-15 11:26 pm
SYDNEY - Mile Jedinak, Tomi Juric and Robbie Kruse have been ruled out of the Australia's 2018 World Cup qualifying match against Bangladesh and will be replaced by Italian-based attacker Chris Ikonomidis, striker Ben Halloran and midfielder Luke Brattan.
- Alleged Syrian war recruiter loses Sydney court challenge Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 am
SYDNEY - A Sydney man accused of recruiting foreign fighters to battle the Syrian regime lost a court challenge on Thursday to the Australian law that he was charged with breaking.
- Search for MH370 may ramp up soon with new sonar equipment Updated: Aug-26-15 7:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The deep sea hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner will likely include cutting-edge sonar equipment when it ramps up again in October after the stormy southern hemisphere winter has passed, the Australian search leader said Wednesday.
- Wallabies to train at University of Notre Dame Updated: Aug-25-15 8:38 pm
SYDNEY - Australia will use the University of Notre Dame as a training base ahead of the Rugby World Cup.
- Air New Zealand's annual profit up 24 percent as it expands Updated: Aug-25-15 8:02 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's national airline on Wednesday posted a 24 percent jump in annual profit after benefiting from lower fuel costs and continuing its expansion in Asia and North America.
- BHP posts 86 percent profit drop as commodity prices tumble Updated: Aug-25-15 5:46 am
SYDNEY - BHP Billiton, the world's biggest miner, reported an 86 percent drop in annual profit on Tuesday amid plummeting commodity prices, as the company warned that China's slowing economy would lead to further market volatility.
- Burwash leads Bowling Green, Kentucky, at LLWS Updated: Aug-24-15 10:59 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Eli Burwash scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the fifth inning then earned the save pitching as Bowling Green, Kentucky, avoided elimination Monday at the Little League World Series by beating Taylors, South Carolina, 4-3.
- Record wildfire in Washington gets international, local help Updated: Aug-24-15 10:19 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - As Washington state's wildfires burned into the record books Monday, calls for help were answered from far and near.
- The Latest: Crews fight fire near Montana highway Updated: Aug-24-15 4:07 pm
OKANOGAN, Washington - The latest on wildfires in the West (all times local):
- Mexico scores 9 in 1st inning to eliminate Australia at LLWS Updated: Aug-24-15 4:02 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Mexico scored nine runs in the first inning to eliminate Australia from the Little League World Series, winning 14-3 in four innings on Monday.
- Hugh Jackman plans Australian concert tour Updated: Aug-24-15 6:31 am
SYDNEY - Hugh Jackman is knocking an item off his bucket list.