- Indonesia says Australia forced back asylum seekers Updated: Nov-27-15 7:55 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia says Australian officials destroyed a boat carrying asylum seekers and then pushed them back out to sea in another vessel.
- 12 wickets fall on 1st day of 1st day-night cricket test Updated: Nov-27-15 7:42 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - With a dozen wickets tumbling, the pink ball swinging seriously under lights and Australia's leading paceman limping off injured, the opening day of the first day-night cricket test was as extraordinary as organizers could have hoped.
- Injured Starc won't bowl again in day-night cricket test Updated: Nov-27-15 7:19 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Mitchell Starc took three wickets for Australia until a right foot injury prevented him from bowling again in the first day-night test against New Zealand on Friday.
- Australian Christmas tree sets record with 518,838 lights Updated: Nov-27-15 6:59 am
CANBERRA, Australia - An Australian set his third Christmas-themed world record in as many years Friday by illuminating a tree in downtown Canberra with 518,838 twinkling lights.
- Mitch Larkin sets short-course backstroke world record Updated: Nov-27-15 5:15 am
SYDNEY - Australian swimmer Mitchell Larkin set a short-course world record in the 200-meter backstroke final at the national titles on Friday.
- Spieth, Scott go in opposite directions at Australian Open Updated: Nov-27-15 3:22 am
SYDNEY - Jordan Spieth and Adam Scott went in opposite directions at the Australian Open on Friday while Matt Jones used home-course advantage to shoot a 3-under 68 and take a three-stroke lead after two rounds.
- Freshman Smith is Stanford's first international recruit Updated: Nov-27-15 2:24 am
STANFORD, California - Alanna Smith had already left for her flight across the world to join Stanford's basketball team, so she never saw her mother's tears as the freshman departed Australia by herself.
- Fiji sevens team to the rescue as passenger taken ill Updated: Nov-27-15 1:50 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The world champion Fiji sevens rugby team has been praised after stepping in to assist cabin crew during a medical emergency on a flight from Fiji to Brisbane on Thursday.
- Japan ready to submit proposal for Australia submarine deal Updated: Nov-26-15 9:34 pm
TOKYO - Japan is set to bid on joint development and production of an Australian submarine, Tokyo's first major military transfer since the World War II.
- Oklahoma, Arkansas have growing Marshallese populations Updated: Nov-26-15 2:22 pm
ENID, Oklahoma - Push pins on a map tell the story of how far Marshall Islanders have been willing to go to build a better life in the United States. They stretch from coast to coast, with a large concentration in a part of the country that's the opposite of a tropical paradise.
- Andy Murray leads Britain's Davis Cup bid against Belgium Updated: Nov-26-15 10:09 am
GHENT, Belgium - Andy Murray ended a 77-year wait for a British man to win the Wimbledon title and he is on the verge of snapping an even longer drought in the Davis Cup final.
- Arkansas a refuge from rising seas in Marshall Islands Updated: Nov-26-15 4:52 am
MAJURO ATOLL, Marshall Islands - Valentino Keimbar hides from the intense heat in the shade of a breadfruit tree, waiting for his basketball game to begin. It was supposed to start a couple of hours ago, maybe three, but time matters little here on the Marshall Islands.
- Tiny Marshall Islands face threats from global warming Updated: Nov-26-15 4:43 am
MAJURO, Marshall Islands - ATOLLS AT RISK
- Fan pours drink on Celtics draft pick Thornton during game Updated: Nov-26-15 1:57 am
SYDNEY - An elderly basketball fan has been banned for the rest of the Australian season after tipping beer on the head of Boston Celtics 2015 draft pick Marcus Thornton during a domestic league game.
- Spieth finds going tough in 1st round of Australian Open Updated: Nov-26-15 1:51 am
SYDNEY - Last year, Jordan Spieth played what he called the best round of his life by shooting a record 8-under 63 to win the Australian Open by six strokes.
- Australia, New Zealand ready for 1st day-night test match Updated: Nov-26-15 12:59 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Pink leather and bright lights. The color and the concept are creating a stir in cricket circles on the eve of the sport's first day-night test match.
- Australian wildfire kills at least 2 and injures 13 others Updated: Nov-25-15 8:02 pm
ADELAIDE, Australia - Firefighters contained a large wildfire Thursday that had caused at least two deaths, 13 injuries and destroyed at least 16 homes near the southern Australian city of Adelaide, officials said.
- Adelaide Oval to aid bowlers in 3rd Australia-NZ test Updated: Nov-25-15 5:46 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Cricket officials have tweaked the normally predictable Adelaide Oval pitch to help bowlers in the third test between Australia and New Zealand starting on Friday.
- Third search ship joins hunt for missing Malaysian airliner Updated: Nov-25-15 2:33 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A third ship will join the deep sea hunt for a missing Malaysian airliner as the 13-month-old search of a huge expanse of the Indian Ocean ramps up during the southern hemisphere summer, officials said Wednesday.
- Scott's 14-year title streak under threat as 2015 winds down Updated: Nov-25-15 1:33 am
SYDNEY - Adam Scott is without a tournament victory thus far in 2015, putting his 14-year record of winning at least one tournament a year in jeopardy going into this week's Australian Open.
- Lauren Jackson's recovery from knee surgery hits setback Updated: Nov-24-15 10:05 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Three-time WNBA Most Valuable Player Lauren Jackson has hit a setback in her goal to play for Australia at the 2016 Summer Olympics and may consider retirement.
- Australia calls for restraint after Russian plane shot down Updated: Nov-24-15 7:19 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister on Wednesday called for Russia and Turkey to show restraint over the shooting down of as Russian jet fighter near the Syria-Turkey border, adding Australia is paying close attention to the safety of Australian pilots over Syria.
- Obama to meet with leaders of China, India at climate summit Updated: Nov-24-15 4:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is hoping to generate early momentum for international climate talks in Paris next week by holding one-on-one meetings there with the leaders of China and India.
- Australia leader talks down prospect of US-led army in Syria Updated: Nov-24-15 5:36 am
CANBERRA, Australia - There is no support among world leaders for the prospect of a U.S.-led army in Iraq and Syria to take back ground from Islamic State militants, Australia's prime minister said Tuesday.
- New Zealand extradition hearing against Kim Dotcom ends Updated: Nov-24-15 5:31 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A court hearing in New Zealand on whether to extradite Kim Dotcom and three others who helped run the website Megaupload to the United States ended Tuesday after nine weeks of arguments.