- Hong Kong, Seoul stocks sharply lower after holidays Updated: Feb-10-16 11:26 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Asian stocks shuddered again Thursday, led by sharp drops in Hong Kong and South Korea, which were catching up to global market turmoil after being shut for Lunar New Year holidays.
- US WWII vet reunites with wartime girlfriend in Australia Updated: Feb-10-16 11:05 pm
SYDNEY - A 93-year-old World War II veteran from the United States embraced his wartime girlfriend in Australia in their reunion Wednesday after more than 70 years apart.
- Western Sydney fined, points suspended over fan misbehavior Updated: Feb-10-16 9:25 pm
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has fined Western Sydney Wanderers 50,000 Australian dollars ($35,600) and imposed a suspended competition point deduction following the misbehavior of fans who lit flares during last weekend's A-League match at Melbourne Victory.
- Australian deputy prime minister announces retirement Updated: Feb-10-16 9:07 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's deputy prime minister announced his retirement Thursday, with the prime minister likely to announce a cabinet reshuffle before elections due this year.
- Lauren Jackson to wait until March to decide on Rio Games Updated: Feb-10-16 8:15 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Former WNBA MVP Lauren Jackson will wait until March to make a final decision on whether to play in her fifth Olympics for Australia.
- Australian charged with sex attack on 2 backpackers on beach Updated: Feb-10-16 6:58 pm
ADELAIDE, Australia - Two female backpackers from Europe were savagely attacked on a remote Australian beach by a traveling companion they had met hours earlier, police said on Wednesday.
- No 1 golfer Ko says Olympics her 'top priority' this year Updated: Feb-10-16 6:20 pm
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand - Top-ranked golfer Lydia Ko says the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will be her top priority this year.
- Proposed Navy solar project on Guam put on hold Updated: Feb-10-16 9:57 am
HAGATNA, Guam - The U.S. Navy's proposal to lease Guam property for a solar power project has been put on hold.
- Pregnant Australian woman tests positive for Zika virus Updated: Feb-10-16 7:23 am
SYDNEY - A pregnant woman in Australia has tested positive for the Zika virus after traveling overseas, health officials said Wednesday.
- Aussie lawmakers gifted designer watches, think they're fake Updated: Feb-10-16 2:46 am
SYDNEY - Australia's former prime minister and two other politicians were gifted designer watches by a Chinese businessman - but initially kept them only because they thought the 40,000 Australian dollar ($28,000) timepieces were fake, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
- Australia commits to legal growing of medicinal marijuana Updated: Feb-09-16 11:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian lawmakers committed on Wednesday to legalize the growing of marijuana for medical use within a part of the world renowned for zero-tolerance and harsh penalties for illegal drugs.
- Australia drops charge against suspected Kurdish militant Updated: Feb-09-16 8:06 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The government has dropped a charge against an Australian man accused of preparing to fight with Kurdish militants against the Islamic State movement.
- 1st of 4 WBC qualifying tournaments set for Sydney Updated: Feb-09-16 7:53 pm
SYDNEY - The first of four regional qualifiers for next year's World Baseball Classic begins Thursday with host team Australia aiming to advance to the final 16 and improve on its poor record in past tournaments.
- US drawn against Australia in Fed Cup playoffs Updated: Feb-09-16 9:58 am
LONDON - The United States will travel to Australia in April as they try to win back their place in the top tier of the Fed Cup.
- Guam ban on smoking in bars to become law in 2017 Updated: Feb-09-16 7:22 am
HAGATNA, Guam - Smoking in bars will be prohibited in Guam next year under a measure that expands provisions to the island's anti-smoking law.
- Retired Olympian wanted for security fraud in Utah County Updated: Feb-08-16 1:09 pm
PROVO, Utah - The Utah County Sheriff's Office is actively seeking a retired Olympian on investigation of security fraud.
- WWII vet begins journey to reunite with wartime girlfriend Updated: Feb-08-16 7:23 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A World War II veteran has embarked on a 10,500-mile journey to visit his wartime girlfriend after more than 70 years apart.
- Controversial minister to become Australia's rights envoy Updated: Feb-08-16 2:18 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The former Australian immigration minister who began the widely condemned policy of sending asylum seekers to Pacific island detention camps will become Australia's first special envoy for human rights, the government said Monday.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Bencic, Hingis help Switzerland beat Germany 3-2 in Fed Cup Updated: Feb-07-16 2:31 pm
LEIPZIG, Germany - Belinda Bencic and Australian Open doubles champion Martina Hingis sent Switzerland to the Fed Cup semifinals with a 3-2 win over Germany on Sunday.
- Brisbane wins big but Western Sydney still tops A-League Updated: Feb-07-16 4:42 am
SYDNEY - Brisbane joined Western Sydney atop the A-League table by beating last-place Central Coast 4-0 in the weekend's 18th round.
- Kennaugh leads Froome after 3 stages of Melbourne cycle tour Updated: Feb-06-16 2:10 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Britain's Peter Kennaugh and Chris Froome retain the top-two placings on general classification entering Sunday's final stage of the Herald-Sun Cycle Tour.
- Tonga declares Zika epidemic after 5 confirmed cases Updated: Feb-05-16 5:38 am
NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga - The tiny South Pacific kingdom of Tonga said Friday it has a Zika epidemic after five people tested positive for the virus and another 265 are suspected of having it.
- Coroner rules out driver, trainer error in Edwards death Updated: Feb-05-16 12:13 am
BRISBANE, Australia - A coronial inquest into the death of British racing driver Sean Edwards at an Australian speedway in 2013 has found that mechanical failure caused the accident.
- Australia resists pressure to allow asylum seekers to stay Updated: Feb-03-16 11:53 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia is resisting mounting international pressure not to deport child asylum seekers, with a minister warning Thursday that allowing them to stay could attract more refugees to come by boat.